Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How do you operate this hub

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How do you operate this hub
    Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:03pm
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:06pm
I am trying to figure out how this Hub is operated.....does anyone know?

Thanks
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:36pm
flip levers up. rotate 180 degrees. flip levers back down as they are now. will be unlocked. looks like there in the locked position now best can see in pics.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:43pm
So flip levers out and rotate CW to lock in hub, and do CCW to unlock?

Should the levers be easy to rotate in any direction?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:51pm
not sure if they rotate either direction. they should not be too hard to turn. then again depending on how long its been since they were rotated there could be some resistance there.
oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 5:54pm
also, to clarify. the lever and the posts there on is what rotates. use levers to rotate the posts.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:16pm

also, to clarify. the lever and the posts there on is what rotates. use levers to rotate the posts.

So
the post is what the levers are attached to?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:18pm
My other question is how would you know if you are locking them in or out?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:46pm
yes to the the question on the posts with the levers. in your pictures you can see on the levers the word lock stamped in them. there locked in right now. when you spin the posts 180 degrees and flip the lever back down into closed position you should see the word unlocked or something designating there in the unlocked position.
oldflea View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldflea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 6:51pm
the other side of the lever has the word (free) telling you your in the unlocked position.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 8:03pm
I can barely see the words...maybe I should try to paint the letters so they would be easy to see.

I'm going to have to lock unlock a few times to fully understand.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 8:28pm
I painted one side of my levers green, the other side red to indicate locked or unlocked.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 8:43pm
if you look closely on the edge of the levers, one side says "lock", the other side says "unlock".....

pull each lever out, rotate the lever 180 degrees, and replace the lever.

make sure both levers have the same wording viewable!!!!
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 8:46pm
That's a good idea...Thanks!
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:04pm
One of your levers is obviously bent which will make it difficult to lift. The rotation does not take much force, so the bending may indicate other problems. The levers are held to the "posts" by a roll pin, and there are spring loaded catches that engage dimples on the levers that can be cleaned and adjusted.
If those were mine, i would remove them, dismantle, clean, straighten and reinstall. I have cut gasket material from either thick gasket stock or cereal box cardboard to ensure the rotating parts are not binding after the mounting bolts are tightened.
Some of these had bearings for the rotating part, most don't if I recall
BOULDER 48 2A
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:14pm
Dualmatics! I have a set. Made in Longmont Colorado. You can get replacement "dualmatic" stickers 

I too painted one side of the lever red and left the other black. I can read "LOCKED" on yours in the picture. After you paint, you can grab one of the kid's white crayons, rub it over the stamped lettering to fill it in with white wax to make it easy to read.

A trick: if you leave the gasket out between the body and the cap, there isn't enough room for the locking barrels and they bind on the base/cap. It'll be really hard to turn the handles. Like bend the handle kinda hard.  (EDIT: AH SHOOT, Terry already got that one for ya!)

Another trick for stubborn locking (for any hubs I guess): While still in 2wheel drive, lock the driver's side first. Then go try the passenger side. If it won't engage, reach down and rotate the front driveshaft a bit until the hub lock lines up. Bingo. No hassle locking.

another trick: You can't read the labels or even see what color the lever is after wheeling in the muddy  "'ssippi hole" on a northern colorado trail run.

Edited by stude-a-willys - 27 July 2015 at 10:17pm
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:16pm
I have cleaned the levers and revealed 'Free and Lock' on them.

When removing, aren't you suppose to have them in the Free position?

One of the levers can rotate either direction continually...evidently some thing wrong there.

Would there be a rebuild kit for them?
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 10:22pm
I think it is OK that the lever can move the barrel around and around all the way. As long as the inner drive flange is lined up all you are doing is spinning it from locked to unlocked and back to locked. You can do that all day and never unscrew anything or hurt anything. In fact, I suspect they should both go all the way around.  Remove the bolts, slide the hub body off and take a look. Very simple to clean up and change the grease. It is easier to replace the lockout in the unlocked position.

Edited by stude-a-willys - 27 July 2015 at 10:24pm
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>