Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How far have you driven your 2A?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How far have you driven your 2A?
    Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 2:32pm
After reading Charger67's "Eighty Miles" post, I got to thinking,

How many miles have everyone driven, or is willing to drive, their CJ?

I've done 113 miles in one day as "tail end charlie" on a motorcycle poker run. (windshield down, of course!) Also several 60-70 mile roundtrips to some shows.
Jerry
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Jerry45 Jerry45 wrote:

I've done 113 miles in one day as "tail end charlie" on a motorcycle poker run.
I've used that reference often and just got blank stares. 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 3:05pm
LMAO! I guess I'm showing my age!
1945 CJ-2A #11802
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

BillF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 3:26pm
I have done some 200+ mile trips in one day in the m38.  It is hard to get out if it at the end of those trips however.  My average long trip is probably 100 miles.  Just two weeks ago I did 120 miles in one day but had a long break in the middle of it for a truck show.

Edited by BillF - 26 Aug. 2013 at 5:06pm
1952 m38
67charger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67charger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 4:38pm
If anybody doesn't know I've done 80 miles in one day ha-ha.  If you add two days it would be 106 or so.Wink
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 5:59pm
I think my longest was probably to the VAFFC Fall Crawl last year. Approx. 70 miles one way. .  It was not butt-in-seat the whole time. Stop for passenger, stop for caravan, stop for gas. etc.
After arriving,  we did a history "tour",  a grocery run, and some trail riding in same day. . .  Not sure of the total day's mileage.
Daniel_Buck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel_Buck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:16pm
I've done about a 120 mile trip (60 miles ways) in my 2a up the coast to get to a little offroading area, with it mostly stock.    

Now that it has better seats in it, radial tires and an engine with a bit more power (to keep the taller tires up to speed on the hills)  I plan on driving it across country eventually, but I'll take some shorter trips first, some 200-400 mile trips to see how it goes.  Top cruising speed will probably be around 50mph I'm guessing.  

I drive my TJ across country every year, I love it :)  I can't wait to do it in the 2a, taking back roads the entire way!

Edited by Daniel_Buck - 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:20pm
2a #40500
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:21pm
Hi everyone

I cant wait to see how far Jpet has run his little CJ2A and Mike Gardner too....those two guys really run the wheels off of them...

Oh yeah...me....I got about 4 trips up and down my 300 foot driveway...yuppers gotta get some insurance on it and get it out in the general population for sure..

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:27pm
I did two 160 mi round trips this summer - both to the same place. I had the windshield down and was towing an MBT trailer behind my 3A on both occasions. Absolutely zero problems during either voyage. Felt like I could have done double the distance without issue. I do have an overdrive which makes all the difference in the world. 

Not sure about all the seat complaints either. I think my Beechwood foam seats are very comfy. I'll routinely put on 100mi just cruising around town on a sunny day.
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Rick L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:38pm
I your case Ryan, it should be 'whats the furthest you've driven your Jeep without washing it'.
1952 M38
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Rick L Rick L wrote:

I your case Ryan, it should be 'whats the furthest you've driven your Jeep without washing it'.

What?? I only stopped at 4 car washes on each trip. Not that big of a deal LOL
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
Bobby Peyrot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobby Peyrot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 7:06pm
Back in 06 I did just over 2000km in my 2a in 2 weeks. We were 3 jeeps, mine, a m38 and a 3b. It still is the best trip I have ever done. Had a fair amount of roadside repairs, but that is part of the fun. All three got home under their own steam. We have done quite a few trips since then, but none as long. There is just something about crossing big "sky country" in a old jeep!
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 7:10pm
MikeC,
I bet those 4 trips down the driveway will always be fondly remembered!
1945 CJ-2A #11802
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

PhillipM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhillipM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 11:28pm
I've made a big loop of 120 miles in one day. Due to a soil type known as Yazoo clay, the roads in these parts are extra bumpy even with modern radials aired down to 20. An hour after my trip, I felt like I was still bouncing around.
"90% of all carburetor problems are electrical"
Clone421 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clone421 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2013 at 11:56pm
The furthest I've driven would have been about 15 miles round trip to the ice cream parlor. Actually had the jeep die at a 3-way stop on the way back. I had to crank start her to get her going again as the battery wouldn't put out enough juice to crank the starter over. It was embarrassing with the line of cars behind me. Embarrassed

Edited by Clone421 - 26 Aug. 2013 at 11:58pm
Kyle
1946 CJ-2A #21881
1950 Chevrolet Styleline Deluxe
1984 Honda VF750F
bbsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2013 at 12:45am
Good Job! This is a great thread. I was totally inspired by these young guys, and how they made their plan come together..........pjc

I once traveled from Sidney Ohio to Toledo in my "48"CJ2A on I75 and a semi truck let me draft him.....or I should say....he pulled me along........nothing like being in "ground effect"

shatter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2013 at 1:08am

My 2A has rolled about 20 meters down the driveway.

But my CJ6 did the 400km/250mile trip back home when I bought it.

It was pretty comfortable with the bench seat but by half way my ears were ringing.

Longest trip it had done since its rebuild. I got it with 50km on it.

Being an Australian Combat6 the stock ford motor runs a little hotter than what the Jeep instruments think it should. Bit hard to tell if the coolant spraying through the pedal slots was just normal overflow or if I was overheating. Had to get out and check the temperature gauge on the radiator cap a couple times but it was alright.

Oh and the lights went out 10k's from home when the indicator stalk shorted but luckily there were street lamps. I suppose its lucky it didn't happen on the 100k's between towns with no lights.

Its now my daily to work and back.

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug. 2013 at 1:37am
Hmm.. I think the 60 mile round trip to the fireworks at the capitol one year in NY was the longest I drove the GPW. Tail end was sore the next day.
I did drive my 47 and a few others to Texas from NY but that was on a trailer and probably doesn't count. Even drove 2 at a time one trip. Wink  Think that was 2000 miles or so.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>