Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I want to retire but my owner won't let me.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I want to retire but my owner won't let me.
    Posted: 10 Nov. 2014 at 11:34pm
Keep them working......better than sitting in a Museum somewhere...

Adrian
NZ

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2014 at 3:25am
Very cool!, and beautiful county. Firewood, sawlogs or other?.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2014 at 4:56am
Pinus Radiata, low grade self sown trees and will probably all end up as firewood, bit of  shame but if I involve Logging Contractors, Sawmills and trucking firms to get rid of them it would actually cost me money to clear the property, I am doing it all myself and having a ballLOL.

Wairau Valley can be seen in the background and most of what appears to be pasture is actually vineyards.

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2014 at 12:42am
Interesting!, You have Red Pine and White Pine there, just curious as we have a tree farm here in Minnesota.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov. 2014 at 5:37am
The Radiatas were introduced here in the 30's I think X USA, they grow quick here, 27 years and they are ready to fell.

I think a lot get exported to China, India etc...we can log all year round with our mild climate.

I intend to put a lot of NZ native trees back once the horrible pines are all gone. 

I may consider planting a variety of new trees, got 50 acres to play with, but a lot of the property is very steep, so thats where the GMC comes in, roads to build during the developement of the place..

What are you growing?

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2014 at 12:25am
Mostly Red Pine, some spruce and lots of volunteers . We did not plant them as we purchased the land 20 years ago (50 acres), most were planted 40-50 years ago. We have thinned it twice and will do it again next spring. Thinning has been profitable, but the state of Minnesota changed the tax structure on managed forest land/tree farms (Ouch) and that vacuums up any profit. A good investment non the less.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 5:37am
Nice Kiwi land, have some myself Michigan State 2 year old about to produce, will be buying some Ken`s Reds all hardy (non fuzzy).
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec. 2014 at 7:03am
I did google Ken's Reds, and 99% of the listings were about wineLOL....so I guess that was wrong.....trees perhaps?.....

Adrian
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply