Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Info on 2wd CJ-2a?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammocj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Info on 2wd CJ-2a?
    Posted: 15 July 2014 at 4:08pm
Hi,
I might have a chance to buy my Buddy's 2wd CJ-2a.
What I know about it is he bought it in the late 70s and ran it occasionally.
It has been sitting in the woods rusting but is complete.
It is a column shift and the tags on firewall definitely show CJ-2a 69179
I forgot to check if the frame tag matches but I imagine it does.
I'm pretty sure it has 4 lug 15" wheels.

He hasn't said he'd sell it to me yet.
Apparently someone else has 1st bid.

Is there a good source for restoration info on the 2wd model?
I'll post a pic or 2 once I resize em
Al

If you have it, a truck hauled it.
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 4:30pm
It sounds more to me like it's a DJ3a, being 2wd, column shift and 4 lug, although the parts mix and match so you may have part of one, part of another.
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 4:33pm
Google DJ3A......Dispatcher Jeep......or Postal jeep.

Any of those three will give results.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 5:11pm

http://z4.invisionfree.com/CJ3B_Bulletin_Board/index.php?showforum=2

This is the DJ jeep forum where all the DJ guys tend to hang out...Roc introduced me to it quite a while ago and I've found some very knowledgeable guys there...Nowhere near as fast moving as this 2A forum, but look at the old posts for some great tidbits of knowledge...The DJ is one of the least understood models and it also used parts from many different jeep models over the years in a seemingly unending stream of variations..
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 5:15pm
I had to break this up into smaller posts as m computer keeps having failures..
The jeep in my avatar is a DJ3A with custom doors and a rebuilt tub and windshield.

You have a few ways to ID a DJ...there is a serial number on the frame rail top surface passenger side ahead of the tub/firewall.  Normally there is a single speedometer in the dash with the other gages built into it, not the classic 5 gage cluster the 2A has.   Frame is more the 3A design than the 2A design, with offset motor mounts and no bumper gussets.

ammocj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammocj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 10:04pm
Would the data tag say DJ-2a or CJ-2a?
This one states CJ-2a.
Also has the 5 gauges.

Don't know when I'll get back there (1900 miles away) to check the frame rails but I'm quite certain this is a CJ.

ammocj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammocj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 10:16pm

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2014 at 11:27pm
From everything I'm seeing in the photos, you have a 2A...Seat frames, windshield, side pockets for top bows, grille,  frame horns, data plates...all 2A  

Problem is, they never made a 2WD 2A.  This would lead me to believe that the running gear has been modified.

Can't tell...does it have a tailgate?

Tim 

ammocj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammocj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 12:59am
Yes.
Has a tailgate.
Possible body adapted to a DJ chassis.

Kicking myself for not checking data plate on frame.
Seems to have been correct colors on body and wheels for a 1946 Cj.
I haven't checked DJ color codes yet.

Al

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 1:49am
You can see the DJ wheel in the picture.

I think someone swapped a CJ body onto the two wheel drive DJ frame and running gear.

But I can't tell for sure but it looks like I see a bumper gusset which says 2A......may have just had the DJ running gear swapped onto the CJ frame.........would be a simple take the 4wd stuff off and bolt on the 2wd stuff.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 1:53am
From what I can see, your frame is a CJ2A. I believe your drive train and front axle could easily be converted to the common stuff found on the 2WD DJ. I'm not sure why someone would do this...other than the parts are more current and thus maybe more available.

A lot can happen to a Willys over 70 years. This conversion may have happened in the '60s when the DJ was a common site.

Tim

Edited by athawk11 - 16 July 2014 at 1:55am
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:23am
Actually the DJ stuff is getting pretty hard to find.....I'd hardly call it common anymore.. Brake stuff and good rear axles are scarce...as are those wheels. If you do decide to convert back to 4WD please try to connect up with the DJ crowd to dispose of the DJ stuff....if you happen to get it.
The tub , hood and grill all appear to be 46 Cj2A stuff.

WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:04am
Are those top bows in the top bow pockets?
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
ammocj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ammocj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 3:40am
Yes, the top bows are in place.
Might also have a rear seat.

Don't tell...

I've always thought it was stock.
As said, why would someone covert a 4 x 4 to a 2 x?
Especially in a cold weather climate.

If I get it I will restore it as is. I already have a 3b. 3 years and almost on the road.
If this other guy gets it I think he plans a major modification project, v-8 etc. so I might be able to get parts from it or point someone needing these parts in the right direction.
I'd hate to see it butchered.

Al

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 5:26am
Originally posted by F Bill F Bill wrote:

Actually the DJ stuff is getting pretty hard to find.....I'd hardly call it common anymore..  

I consider you to be a DJ Gu-Ru, around these parts.  I humbly concede to your expertise .

I don't know much about the current availability, thus my guess that the conversion may have happened in the '60s when DJs were a regular site in every neighborhood.

Again, just a guess, but it's always fun to conjure up a possible history...even if it only makes sense in my head.Smile

Tim
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 9:32am
Have you looked under the front end?????looks very 4x4 ish to me......

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 2:19pm
The end of that front axle looks very 4x2 ish to me......what are seeing under the front end?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2014 at 4:06pm
Just curious, what are you using as a basis for calling it a 2WD?

Larry

Edited by rocketeer - 16 July 2014 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>