Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is my CJ-2A too far gone?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is my CJ-2A too far gone?
    Posted: 27 May 2014 at 1:33am
So, back before I was even born, my dad bought a newer CJ (not sure of the year) intending to swap a Buick V6 into it. The guy he bought it from made him take this CJ-2A as part of the deal. Anyway, my dad ending up selling the good one, and this hasn't moved since the 70s. Until now, that is. ;)

This is where it had been left to die:

The hood was actually upside down, next to it, with only the edges sticking up. I would not have noticed it, had I not tripped on it.

I pulled it out of the tree row with the four wheeler. One tire was still holding air when I started, but it was flat by the time I got it back to the house. I put some mismatched tires and wheels on it that I had laying around, just for ease of moving it.

It looks like it was hit on the front end, there were a few pieces of square tubing hacked onto the front for an attempted repair that was never finished. The rear shackle mounts were torched off, but are still there. The body is not attached, and looks as if it has had the floor poorly replaced at least once already.

My question is, who here thinks it is a worthwhile project? Oh yeah, first post and all that, my name is Josh. ;)
Fred Ashbrook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred Ashbrook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 1:55am
Josh,

From your photos the body looks pretty darn good. As long as the frame & body are not rotten, it looks like a good candidate for a work- over. There are many on this page that have started with much worse & built very nice Jeeps. It would help if you could post photos of the floor, frame, etc. Those who have been thru this can give you an excellent idea of what you are in for.

Welcome to the page!

F.
Fred A
48 Lefty
Virginia

48 Lefty
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:01am
Is that an outlet spliced into the dash?  Haven't seen that before.
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:23am
That's a factory 120VAC accessory outlet upgrade.
nobodyspecial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:26am
Yes sir, that is the extremely rare 110v option accessory. :-D

Here are some more pictures:

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:29am
Well it depends on your determination, stubbornness and perseverance. A lot is missing there but what's left looks like good parts. Plenty of other "project" jeeps out there for your consideration. A project like what you have is one best attempted when there is some sentimental reason for it otherwise you risk running out of gas. On this jeep you will find out that several donor jeeps would be helpful........or consider this one a donor and look for a more complete candidate.....I'm not telling you what to do but I am merely telling you what I SHOULD have done if I had to do it over again.Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:06am
If you aren't in a rush, take your time, and enjoy the challenge - this will end up being a Jeep with quite a family story behind it some day! Probably impress your dad as well - which is never a bad thing either....

Lots of great folks here on this forum that you can turn to for advice and help with any missing parts you'll need along the way!
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 3:36am
Frame looks good.  Those front frame horns can be purchased and welded on, I have pics on here somewhere.  Then one of Cheep jeeps reinforcing plates and you are as good or better than new.  Looks like the body was wiped down with diesel fuel for that great patina.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 6:53pm
Hey nobodyspecial

If it looks like a Willys you can save....if you have really deep pockets you can save it faster and better than us poor folk who have to sell 3 vehicles to get there CJ2A done...from the pictures I would say it is saveable...lots and lots of work tho...but yes you can save it...

my smelly old 2 cents

mikeC
I am the squirrel....
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:26pm
Frame horns, spring mounts, shackles, engine, trans, tc, wiring brake pipes, mc, clutch and brake linkages, fenders, grille, radiator, lights and a few misc parts and it is ready to go!Shocked
BOULDER 48 2A
nobodyspecial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyspecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 2:34am
OK. I think I will accept this challenge. Wink

I haven't welded for a while now, this seems like a good project to get back in practice.

mikeC, I would classify myself right along with you "poor folk" Just a farmer, here.
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:47am
I'd go for it, at least you have a good selection of parts to start with, I'm sure one of the guys can supply an engine that will have a serial number to match the body or very close to it.

Have a look on this site and see if you can find a Jeep with a close serial number, they might have listed the original engine number as well and that will give you some clues.

Good luck

Adrian
NZ
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 5:56pm
As the official saver of projects too far gone to consider........I'd reconsider it unless you are either:

Hiding lots of the missing parts somewhere...no engine or gearboxes??

Looking for an excuse to spend lots of shop time

Really into the challenge of building your very own jeep from scratch.

And if I was considering building it up, there is no way I'd try to go for a completely stock numbers matching show jeep type of ride. Just make it a good trail or driving jeep and be happy with it. Life is too short to do a restoration to stock on something that far gone.

And yes, the tub looks savable. But then again, you CAN build a new tub from an old cowl and a lot of sheet metal.

What is the world coming to when F Bill says a project is too far gone?? These truly are unusual times. Big smile
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Jared1956 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared1956 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 7:51pm
I agree with Bill. Take it from someone who hauled home no less than 12 of these things in about the same condition as your is in before I wised up and bought a running and driving project. You'll be so far in the hole on this thing money, time, and aggravation wise you'll beg someone to take it and wash the smell of PB Blaster and rust from your garage and body!!!!

These things are still cheap and common compared to say a 1940's passenger car. You can pick up a running and driving example for $3,000 easy. Spend $5,000 and you can get one that some poor guy has spent $10,000 and 5 years rebuilding for you!!!

Like others have said....if you are just looking for an excuse to get dirty and burn cash...then this is your project!! :D

damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 8:30pm
See? Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 9:54pm
well. I say don't give up. There's always someone modding or parting out jeeps. If you're in for a drive, there are mated trannys and transfer cases selling in Spokane and Kennewick Washington on Craigslist. Out this way, it isn't uncommon to find them for around $150 each. If you can ship them through Fastenal's 'Third Party Logistics' program, then shipping gets cheap too

This is from Searchtempest.com, set to 500 mile radius from Minot:

Here's a solid sounding motor in Fargo:

Here's a TC/Tranny combo from Boise (not part of the 500 mile search, just one I knew of):

Lol, here's a top in Rochester, MN:

Don't know what trans and TC were in a 52 Willys pickup, but this set is 'best offer' out of Omaha.

Oh. Found this in SD. no title, "complete" parts jeep:

I guess the point is that parts are out there and not hard to find. THis was 20 minutes just using searchtempest, and I forgot to include Canadian cities when I ran the search.

Also remember that there are a bunch of guys here that have more parts than they can use, and most are willing to make a good deal to someone that'll give them a good home and new purpose.

Edited by LesBerg - 28 May 2014 at 10:29pm
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:00pm
To Nobody, named Josh. You have a spot to start. Since it was your fathers Jeep it may have some value to you. Your in an area where there should be some Jeeps you can buy to salvage parts from. To be honest, it is going to be an expensive adventure to get your Jeep running and getting it registered and licensed may be an adventure in it's self. I would certainly look into whether it can be registered as a salvage vehicle assembled from a pile of parts with no title.

You may have to buy a Jeep with a title to get yours titled but your looking at several thousand dollars to get it back into running condition and licensed. 

Think long and hard about this adventure.
Life is only as good as you make it.
K.C. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K.C. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2014 at 10:13pm
When I got my 47 it was complete. I needed 500 in parts to drive her.. At least that's what I thought! I've dumped 4000 in so far. She is stripped to the frame now. Sand blasting it and painting the frame this weekend. Rebuilt everything under the frame that needed attention. I'll paint the drive line this weekend too and put it all together. Also have two body's I'm splicing into one. Then... I'll get to drive it . Can't wait. I don't regret one dollar spent but I've spent a bunch, fabricated lots of parts, and put in MANY hours. If you have the time dive in and keep looking forward.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>