Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I’ve been using you… ALL of you-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I’ve been using you… ALL of you-
    Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 2:55pm

…and will continue to do so without trepidation, lol.  What a great, smooth running, self-policing forum this place is.  Seriously.  I found this place in preparation for a return to a place put on hold long ago, and soaking up the wealth of information available in order to make an informed… acquisition.

My very first ride was an “old” jeep… back in the early 80’s the late 60’s was not all that long ago, but jeeps were changing given AMC, and the ’69 Kaiser CJ5 was old iron even then…the Wrangler was on the horizon.

“Old” jeeps are wonderful first cars in their simplicity.  You can learn basic automotive principles and skills without the fog of black boxes.   …and they’re FUN, too- ;)

Edited by mbullism - 06 Dec. 2015 at 3:09pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 2:55pm

The “bubba” was strong in this one, and it was an awesome learning experience straightening things out… the “first” time, lol. I only had access to stick welding and brazing with mapp gas, and I was fighting enameled patch panels (like the side of an appliance) that previous body filler wouldn’t stick to, blocks of wood stuffed in holes and bondo’d over, pop rivets galore, a wiring “system” so patchworked it eventually toaster coiled before I ferreted all of it out, and on and on.  I must say it was a different experience without the internet and the information now available…

Edited by mbullism - 06 Dec. 2015 at 2:57pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 2:56pm

…but they’re STILL fun, lol…

Daily driver during the week, play toy on the weekends, The 134F gave up the ghost in the most mundane fashion… a pedestrian 1200rpm leaving a redlight lost a wristpin and… it wasn’t pretty.  The specter of the original engine now a memory, I did what any kid in his late teens does… horsepower ;)

225 dauntless, mild cam, headers, MSD coil on a Mallory dual point distributor… the list goes on… and my education continued-

…and a mild lift, and 10” wheels, power steering, yada yada…and a little body refresher-

Edited by mbullism - 29 Mar. 2016 at 4:41pm
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 2:56pm

Rinse repeat, lol… had that jeep more than 10 years, and during that time I picked up and built a 231 buick V6 even fire, and was actively searching for an acceptable CJ2a (keeping in mind the internet was in it’s infancy, the search was tougher then than now).  I passed on a lot of rot boxes.  And then life did what it does in your early 20’s… school, marriage, kids… the jeep went, but I held on to that V6 knowing eventually I’d find it a suitable 2a for a home… which brought me here.  Now at a place in my life I can indulge toys, and my kids more and more on their own, I rekindled the 2a itch and have been using you all to research my latest foray (thank you, lol).  But that’s another thread ;)

Now in my early 50's, I find I just can't see my way to remove a perfectly good L134... it just seems wrong.  The 231 will have to wait a while longer ;) .  It's been 30 years.  A few more won't hurt it-

Edited by mbullism - 06 Dec. 2015 at 3:01pm
Ryan_M View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 3:46pm
Great photos!!! As a product of the late '70's and early '80's your CJ-5 pics bring me back to the era when I was just entering full blown envy of the "older kids" and their cool motorized wonders. As much as I liked my bicycle, its days were certainly numbered.....!
'49 CJ3A
'51 CJ3A
'42 Willys MB-T
'47 Bantam T3-C
East Coast Willys Association
ricco View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ricco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2015 at 6:47pm
Very nice that you had someone to photograph and document your time back then!  I have scant few pictures of my jeep and or me with the jeep from the late 70's/early 80's.  Actually, I have no pictures of any of my high school cars!...one in particular I wish I would have kept! (I bet no one else can say that! :)  ). 
She can dance a cajun rhythm....jump like a Willy's in four wheel drive...("Sugar Magnolia")

'48 CJ2A #204845 "Lumpy"
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 1:37am
Back in the day I was defined by that jeep, lol. The crew we ran with had some shutter bugs for sure    I scanned over a hundred pics the other night.

Prom night, 1983

...and yes, she was pissed, lol
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 3:00am

Awsome and some great looking Jeeps.  I thought I had been feeling used, Oh maybe thats just my age catching up with me.

MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 4:07am
It's been cathartic going through the old pics, definately glad I have 'em.  That's MY old age showing, lol.

A couple more, just cuz... then looking forward and not back :D
(easy fellahs, I married that one ;) )

mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 4:11am
Thanks for indulging me... onward- (<---"clicky)

Edited by mbullism - 05 Jan. 2016 at 8:14pm
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 7:24am
No, Thank you for sharing.

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2015 at 11:06pm
We must have been cut from the same piece of jeep hood, it all started for me with a '75 Cj5 back in high school in '76. been knee deep ever since

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

02tj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 02tj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2015 at 3:57am
Very cool... love the old pics. In 83 iwas 12. Lol
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2015 at 4:36am
Great story and photos!

The photo with mud shooting straight up, on both sides,  is incredible. :)

My first Jeep exposure was driving my Dad's newly acquired '62 CJ-5, with 283 V8, to high school in the mid-70's  (and sneaking it out for some mud running occasionally) . .  this thread reminds me of of those days.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2015 at 7:19am
Originally posted by 02tj 02tj wrote:

... In 83 iwas 12. Lol

Lol, you can cut THAT crap out right now, lol
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2015 at 8:25am
Thank you for sharing, Mbullism. My name is Les and I'm a jeepaholic.

Those are great pics. Keep us updated on the 2A!
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
 Post Reply Post Reply