Forum Home Forum Home > Other Vehicles Area > Other Vehicles - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Pickup/wagon spring swap?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Pickup/wagon spring swap?
    Posted: 21 Aug. 2015 at 12:27pm
The Jeep pickup I have is rated at 0ne ton. It rides like a brick. Actually too hard to do any rough roads. And you then know why they shake themselves apart. LOL  Can you swap in wagon springs? Or what is the cleanest way to get a softer ride out of one of these? Anyone successfully done this? I love the old thing, but am tired of getting ready for the upcoming bump in the paved street! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2015 at 5:32pm
No Brainer John!! Like I told you back in June, in your shop, just send it home with me-problem solved!
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2015 at 6:13pm
What model Jeep truck are we talking about?

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2015 at 8:12pm
Ricky, What a guy you are to offer such help!Clown  Rock, my pickup is a '53 with the F head 4 cylinder/T90 3 speed. Standard cab/box with small back window. Stock springs and running gear.  ( Not a FC) I've thought about removing leafs, but would love to hear what other Jeep guys have done. I'd have to buy a kidney belt and start working out to drive this thing on the Fall Colors Tour.  The Jeep wagons and Jeepsters all ride much nicer than this tough old truck. I don't need it to be so tough!Wink John
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2015 at 10:17pm
Remembered your post while at the oldwillys forum.   Some recommended a heavy spouse or mother in law in back to improve the ride.  Won't work in your case so you might try bags of concrete.  600 to 1,000 lbs ?
Others recommended custom made springs. 

Here was an interesting thread on seat springs:

Edited by willys54wagon - 25 Aug. 2015 at 10:22pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2015 at 10:25pm
Hi there Steve!, either start removing leafs,or I think I saw one with 2 leafs only. Maybe Ranch Brand? There's got to be a clean way to get a normal ride. John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2015 at 10:36pm
Ranchos are no good also according to your link provided----thanks. So,either wear a sports bra, or remove leafs until satisfied, or get a herd of chick's in the back. Wife won't appreciate any of the extra female stuff.

Edited by Oilleaker1 - 25 Aug. 2015 at 11:02pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 12:07am
Perhaps a set of Cadillac springs!, I hear they ride nice . If the wagon springs fit, I would go that path.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 12:15am
I think Schimmster said they were narrower than a pickup. Not sure. Anyone? 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 12:27am
Perhaps a call to a spring shop would answer the question...... Preferably an old school spring shop.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 3:14am
If I remember right the front springs are the same dimensions for cj, wagons and trucks which I always thought surprising.

Trucks have their own rear springs, not the same as a wagon.  If you have the bucks, custom made might be the way to go.  Else it is take them apart, and see what happens.  I was planning on using the graphite paint on them.

at the reference there was a picture with all the spring info for the various vehicles.

I have a pick up on the project list so will experience this  sometime.    At least try the heavy female option and report back to us...............................................

Edited by willys54wagon - 26 Aug. 2015 at 3:16am
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug. 2015 at 12:19pm
Reporting back: one female only is all that is needed. Embarrassed
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2015 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

Reporting back: one female only is all that is needed. Embarrassed

That is a lot of female! My 1948 Willys pickup rode like my FIL's Cadillac when I hauled an 750 lb Scottish Highland heifer in the back.

She grew to become over 1,200 lbs before we sold her. She rode in the same pickup to her new home five years later. 1,200 lbs is too much, or maybe my shocks are shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply