Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jeep Therapy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jeep Therapy
    Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 4:03am
After a long, semi-stressful, day at work today,  I went out to garage to simply make plans for this weekend's tasks on my '3A bodywork.

Instead   ->   I did some welding, and made some progress.

These cool old vehicles are are great way to "wind-down" after a busy day. Smile

bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 4:17am
Enjoy it, driving them are half the fun. I really miss the work I did on mine during the restoration.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 4:43am
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Enjoy it, driving them are half the fun. I really miss the work I did on mine during the restoration.
Fortunately, I have a '2A to drive,  so the '3A can be a leisurely build. :-) . .  everytime I feel impatient that I am not making progress on '3A  as fast as I would like,  I remind myself that the journey is more important than the destination.  LOL
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 12:34pm
I love working on cars when I want to... I cant STAND working on cars when I have to-

The 2A is therapy cuz its always a want to
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 2:16pm
I have found that working on 'Frankie' isn't nearly as much fun now as the 'build' was.....definately the journey.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Bob3b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob3b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 3:22pm
I agree...the only solution is to build another!
1946 CJ2A #23881
1953 CJ3b, nice!
1949 Jeepster
1947 Empire Model 90
1985 CJ10A
Spen "S" Utility trailer
Kubota l3400
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 3:32pm

Good idea....bring me a sackful of Benjamins to Effingham and an empty trailer. Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 4:40pm
Upon completion of my first build, there was a huge 'hole' in my life.  I was lost. The only cure was the next project.Smile
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 6:28pm
This is interesting. I think we have a lot of different types of people here in our little "club."  And I admire them all and am amazed by the skill, talent and tenaciousness of the people here to get their rigs going.
For some. the build itself is the journey. Once they are done and the machine is back to factory specs,(or in Frankie's case, the wonderful and wild rocnroll specifications of Chad's mind), it's on to some other creative outlet. The machine is still loved, but occupies a little less of ones free-time thinking.  These people amaze me. Heart and soul into something for so long, but that creativity, or energy or whatever it is never stops and they are onto something different, probably bigger and better.

Others, (this is me) the build is a fun and interesting challenge, but the real joy is turning the key and rolling out in an almost 70 year old machine and going on adventures that only can happen with the top off and the windshield down.

What I really like about this forum is that we welcome and respect all types of old jeep lovers, from the purist to the slap-it-back-together-and-let's-go bubbas among us like me.

I'm looking out the window right now hoping the weather clears up a little so that I can go try out my newly siped  tires and dual wheels on some spring time snow pack after work this afternoon.  If the tire siping works well, or I get even more stuck than last time without the siping, its an adventure that I never would have had without my Grampa having this old jeep parked behind his garage to light the fire, and without you all to help me patch it all together.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 8:27pm
Stan, thanks for the positive thoughts. Just to clarify though....it would take a BIG stack of hundreds for me to get rid of Frankie....maybe too many in most peoples opinions BUT I'm not hanging on to it with the hopes that a future friend or family member is going to build a shrine out of it after I'm gone either.LOL

And also you have to understand that Frankie was 8yrs old this month (the initial crank and drive) so its been together for a good 5yrs now and in the street rod circles (I know its not but its closer to that than anything else...it just happens to have a transfer case)  5 years is kinda approaching 'old news', which is really how I view it now.

The 'showing off ' of a new project is the fun part and to get there you have to have the 'journey'  not that that's neccesarily FUN but you have to do it....to get to the DESTINATION (the showing it to people)

I still like it, I still enjoy it but like you said, it doesn't control my thoughts anymore....AND it's old news.

In short, its starting to show a little 'show wear',  it's 5years or so of Reunions down the road, people have seen it so its just not as interesting to me as it once was......(and probably not as much to them either)

I stumbled up on it (one of the first pictures of the semi complete) on Pinterest the other night....somebody had pinned it from another site (jeep forum I think maybe) with some other guy as builder.....oh well, what do you do....can't correct misinfo on Pinterest.

Sorry for the ramble.....its raining, can't cut grass.Approve
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 8:47pm
For me, the initial build and subsequent changes or improvements is no where near the fun of driving them both on and off-road.  I've got things to do but I simply don't want to.  I just wanna drive.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2016 at 11:17pm
My co-horts at the fire department would always laugh at me when I brought my 2A to work because they knew I was headed out for my "Dirt Fix" the next morning after work.  What a fantastic stress relief, riding around in the mountains getting every orifice full of dirt and dust was just the BEST!!!    Tongue
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 4:28am

My first thought yesterday was how stress-relieving it is to tinker on these old contraptions,  but I am now reminded that driving them is also therapeutic.  Smile

I acquired my '2A approx 25 years ago,  got it running without a lot of thought of "restoring".    I spent quite a bit of time in driver seat,  both locally and many Jeep Jamborees and similar events . .  fun times!

The past 10 years the 2A has mostly been a "working" vehicle,  with some occasional fun.  That is about to change in June!   I am hoping to get it back on the trails with Jpet, BobW, WindyHill, and hopefully others. . .   Can't wait . .  more therapy. LOL
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 1:27pm
All so true fellows. Like Lays Potato Chips: I'll bet you can't eat/have just one.  The hole in your life becomes a obsession. Fatal Jeep Disease.  Watch out for Green Disease also.  Vacation soon becomes going and driving them at meets. That is the icing on the cake. My sister asked me why so many people seem to like Jeeps. I told her they are the true "Back Woods Sportscars". Wink John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 1:48pm
Well John, I'm hoping it's not a 'fatal' disease, but rather a lingering, chronic, unrecoverable condition!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 1:53pm
Oops, sorry Katie, I should have said: Well Guys and Gals, all true.  You are the only lady that I know who removes her steering wheel going down the highway. True grit! Clap John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2016 at 2:43pm
Wonder what trouble I can get into with the engine rebuild - SD is my testing ground again! 

As all the guys have stated previously in this thread, most jeepers find their niche - mechanical, history, restoring, driving etc.  I've learned so much just lurking in here (ha ha) and I've only had 6 days on the trail with my jeep, but I'm happy to leave you with a chuckle John. Thumbs Up
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Keith.Tracy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith.Tracy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2016 at 11:58am
Just about finished with my build, still getting some of the last bugs out of it.
Ive been able to put some good miles on it recently after putting a new rear under it.

I rode down to check on my boat, and on the way home I stopped off at a local cruisers hangout.

What a reaction! I was so surprised and happy at the crowd it drew. Definitely was uplifting to get so many positive remarks from a group of people who know their stuff about vehicles and were focusing on a vehicle that wouldn't be considered a "Hot Rod". 

My build therapy is about over but the show therapy has just begun!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>