Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers > Tech - FAQ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

L-134 Ignition Timing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: L-134 Ignition Timing
    Posted: 15 Jan. 2010 at 5:53pm
HOW TO TIME THE L-134

In the event that flywheel and/or oil pump have been installed contrary to "Factory" procedure (or even if they're correct!), these flow-charts will get you up and running.

Added 4/1/10:  The long-winded version - detailed from installing distributor to running plug wires.  Too many pages to post directly, so it's a PDF download

L-134 Timing   ( 1.6MB, 17-page, PDF file)

The original short version (aka the "Geico" protocol - so easy a caveman can do it!) below (also covered in the "long-winded" document above).

This is the "dirt-simple" method, not necessarily optimum.  It will work when you "don't know nuthin'" about how the flywheel and/or oil pump were installed, and don't care to know, or try to figure it out ahead of "time".
  • flywheel positioning is irrelevant
  • oil pump positioning is irrelevant
  • which cylinder in on compression is irrelevant
It assumes your engine is mechanically & electrically sound, getting fuel, capable of starting, and ready to run.

Any comments/suggestions/critiques - post them in "SUGGESTIONS & COMMENTS FOR THE FORUM" where we can talk it through for consensus.

Edited by sean - 02 Apr. 2010 at 1:24am
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2011 at 10:32pm
There still seems to be some confusion/misunderstanding of timing principles, so here's another stab.

As with the "Geico" Protocol, flywheel mounting & oil pump indexing do not matter.

It has one big advantage over the "Geico" protocol: it DOES NOT rely on "trial-and-error", and DOES NOT require an engine capable of running.  As long as you have one cylinder capable of creating some compression, it works.

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep. 2011 at 10:54pm
Thumbs Up
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
30 Buford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 30 Buford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2011 at 8:49pm
Great Exlpanation. Thanks ,just what I was looking for ,thanks for sharing it. Bruce
If it aint Broke I can fix it.
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2012 at 10:12pm
Great answer to an issue that has always been nerve racking for me.

I've only taken the timing adjustment on, because I just rebuilt my Carter WO, and I want it to have every chance at success.  It will replace the Solex that was on my Willys when I got it.

I must say, the timing has always been okay with the Solex, I just want to make sure it is right.

I have followed your instructions to the 'T'.  I am firing in the 'stock' position.

Here is my problem:

When I line up the IGN mark on my flywheel, the points are not closed.  So I rotate the distributor CCW, but before the points close, I have come to the end of the adjustment slot on the back of the distributor.

With the distributor in this maxed out CCW position, the Willys runs pretty darn good, but it's not right.  Is there a solution to my problem?

Tim
jay g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jay g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr. 2013 at 2:02am
you may need to rotate your oil pump gear one tooth  the camshaft gear to get the adjustment in the correct range for your distributor
Jay g
Schuesb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schuesb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec. 2014 at 9:37am
ok so I finished my 47 conversion to a buick 231 v6... took over a 13000ft peak... successfully... etc... not without issues though..

now I wanted a stocker so I took a basket case early 46 and did a frame off... it turned out pretty good but ive been battling the running part.. well the dist was broken... just replaced  it using the Geico method and thank you for the instructions... I could not have done it with out them... they work!!!
Schuesb 47 lefty & 46 CJ2A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2015 at 12:41am
BTT FOR ALL TO SEE!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2015 at 1:00am
Btt

jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2016 at 5:21pm
This is a timeless classic the newbies need to be made aware of. Thanks Sean for posting this. 

Moderator  could this post be added to a sticky note in the tech section for all to see? I feel it is often missed in the FAQ section. can it be attached to the top of the tech section not in the FAQ.

Edited by jeeper50 - 11 Sep. 2016 at 5:25pm

KGregg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGregg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:41pm
My 1948 truck only backfires now, no matter where I put the wires ,etc. I don't believe it's the original 134 engine. Anyone know how I break down the year of the engine?   Thanks!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 10:53pm
This post from Sean has an engine serial number chart on it, but the year really shouldn't make much difference in the tuning and timing process.

If you want the folks here to help you step through the process of figuring it out, start a new thread with your problkem description and questions in the "Technichal Qestions and Answers" section. Lots of folks here with the knowledge and willingness to help you out.

Welcome to the forum.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/cj2a-serial-numbers-locations_topic13957.html

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2018 at 8:34pm
ONCE AGAIN back to top

Moderators can yall add a sticky note for this to help others get their engine running

6aerobat@gmail.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 6:31pm
Ignition timing.. I found the timing marks ok, trying to set points to "open" at 5 deg. The points are  not even close, Its like I am 45 deg off. I can not rotate the distributor enough to the correct place. I totlal understand how the timing marks where the points shoud open concept.  Whatever drives the distrubutor must hace jumped cog?  The distrubutor is new, I thought the original one was bad. 

Any one have prior experience with this sort of issue issue? 

The CJ2A was running fine, just quit without warning. NO spark at plugs, there is a big spark out of coil at the wrong time for the rotor to work.  
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 6:51pm
If whoever rebuilt the motor last put the oil pump correctly the distributor will only fit in at one position. You may have to swap a few spark plug wires around. Be sure of the firing order. An oddfire V6 is a learning experience.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 7:04pm
I have the original 4 cyl engine. This problem suddenly started while I was driving. 
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 7:18pm
I hate to say it but it has been posted many times. Condenser or your coil. I did a Pertronics for the V6 in my 3B. Best thing I ever did for the old beast.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6aerobat@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 7:34pm
well thanks any way,  you didn't read my post
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>