Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - General Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Looking for input from those who' be  done it befo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for input from those who' be done it befo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickeykelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for input from those who' be done it befo
    Posted: 05 June 2016 at 4:02pm
Just brought home a T3C. I knew the bed had some rust through but at one point someone had put in a metal liner that is actually good thick metal. I got this liner out today and as with most of these old trailers, the original floor will need to be replaced as enough to rust holes, soft metal and stretched waves metal, etc.

Now the question part, are the replacement floors worth it?

Is the metal any thicker than the originals or do you just end up with waves again?

It appears as though it is welded to the frame. I assume that was the factory way back then?

Should I cutout the floor only, then the 3 sided box has no support. So what are the steps for those who have done it?

Or should I just cut out the old and weld in the heavier metal liner the PO had put in?

Any input and experience is appreciated before I decide.
chris insull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris insull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2016 at 1:16pm
For a resto I think it is worth it. The floors are roughly $400 + shipping, can't recall the gauge but it was an MD Juan unit so not as thick as the OEM floor. A lot of labor but it looks good. They were originally welded to the frame side rails along with the tub sides as well as to the cross members underneath and to the rear cross member at the tail gate opening. All those welds were approximately an inch in length and spaced appropriately. I welded braces across the tub sides prior to removing the floor to eliminate the flex and cracking in the welded forward corner upper tub rails where the front panel attaches to the sides. Regardless, I feel that if a piece of plywood is not put on top of the replacement floor to more evenly distribute the loads, waves will again appear.
On the most recent trailer I bought, the PO had replaced the floor with a solid sheet of .120 metal, and also added front to rear supports underneath between each of the cross members. The general public would never know the difference and that floor has zero waves.
Hope this helps...
1971 CJ-5
1946 T3-C S/N 30319
194? T3-C ACM 154291 (SOLD)
1967 Stevens M-416 (SOLD)
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 9:20pm
Yup, you gotta decide where you want this project to go. It is cheaper to buy sheet metal, bend it and weld it into the trailer, but now you have a boogered up TC3. If you don't care about that kind of stuff then you're fine. I just restored an M416, welded in a 10 gauge sheet metal floor, added some D rings and sprayed in a bedliner. Looks good but is not original. I can live with it. I got a stronger floor and can still pull it in a parade.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
 Post Reply Post Reply