Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

M38 canvas 1/2 cab project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M38 canvas 1/2 cab project
    Posted: 17 July 2016 at 4:04pm

I want to do a canvas 1/2 cab for my M38. My reqmts are that the new bow set installs to the jeep with the std bows in the stored position, and the std hors & vert rods are used. The bow is a cut-down HMVV bow. My local harness/saddle maker will be doing the canvas work.  The plan is to mimic the std top in 1/2 fashion, the back to be an open arch between the wheel houses. I'll be able to use my doors not that I'd want to.. Here's the finished framework.

Edited by RICKG - 17 July 2016 at 4:11pm
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 5:59pm
Rick looks like you are going to have a great looking half cab keep us up dated on the progress. I like the extra depth behind the seats. The bow mounting is a clean set up. A lot of thought went into this.
Hope to see it at the FCR
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2016 at 9:04pm
Looks like a cool idea.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 6:08pm
Finished up the framework this AM by adding the mid bow rodwork. Now on to the canvas. I hope Jpet will weigh in with sage advice but I know he's out rock hoppin with the Colorado gang.

Edited by RICKG - 24 July 2016 at 6:33pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Rick Cline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Cline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 11:20pm
Looks good
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."

- General George Patton Jr
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:16am
That's some fine ingenuity work there Rick. I love how you integrated the horizontal rods with the added midsection rods. It looks like you made sockets in the rods so they can break down to?
Are you going to add striker plates for door use?
Brett
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 1:19am
this might have to be a winter project for me. me likey.
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

this might have to be a winter project for me. me likey.

I'll have with me when I see ya in sept..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2016 at 1:30pm
Nice work Rick! I never asked why if you have a summer top you want a halfcab? Just wondering. Sun shade or bikini top? A WO carb for high altitude work is next? Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2016 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

I never asked why if you have a summer top you want a halfcab? Oillly

I do not like the lack of rear visibility the summer top affords, and dig the half cab/duster look.

Edited by RICKG - 31 July 2016 at 8:20pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2016 at 2:47am
Ditto on visibility. Jeep roadster pickup also. Nice job on the tubing and rod set up. Wink
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 5:50pm
After a year and half of broken promises  from my fabricator i'll do it myself. I borrowed a machine from a teamster friend, she'll come by next week to check flight me on the machine and get me started.

Meet Juki..

Edited by RICKG - 14 Jan. 2018 at 5:52pm
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 7:09pm
Cool Rick!
That's the same machine I've been using from our neighbor's shoe shop for my canvas products.
I just haven't had the motivation to get my half cab duster going.  Can't wait to see your progress.
Brett

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 7:51pm
Typical Jeep guy. Can't wait, so he does it himself!!!!!!LOL   Gotta love it. Oilly
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 12:51am
There's a difference between waiting and being pushed back.  The people saw easy money then realized their smart phone was no help. No patterns to follow, gotta use your head and talent doesn't work these
days. They have built harness for my mules that is above top shelf just cant think outta that box. Muley
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 12:52am
Oh, Rick could wait, but 18 months is an awful long time for a thing like this... Unhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
m38mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m38mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 2:57pm
Rick, have you looked at the patterns that jpet published for his tops?  There may be some tricks and stitch lines in there that would help you with getting a really good fit.  Just a thought.  I like what you're doing.  Can't wait to see the finished top!  
M38Mike
46 CJ2A SAMCJ2A
4?-5? CJ2A/3A/M38 Jigsaw
51 M38 Green Jeanne
52 M38 Blue Mule, 51 M100 Blue Mule Tale
52 XM38EV1 Electro-Willys, 52 M100 Juice Box
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 5:01pm
I've looked at Jpet's threads, I remember there was a vid too but haven't located it yet. I've got my full M38 winter top to use as reference and a junk 3A bestop to do with whatever. Building the front panel to rope into the M38 windshield may be a challenge..whetever it ends up, do-overs, patchovers, lumps and bumps it'll be one-off and mine..
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>