Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Max side slope angle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Max side slope angle
    Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 7:26pm
Ask a silly question time again, what is the max side slope angle for a stock CJ-2A.

I can't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere.

The old Landrovers I used to have were great on the farms and won hands down for their ability to keep the wheels on the ground, alloy body and a low centre of gravity, I am sure they were supposed to do 45 degree before they fell over.

A 2 stroke Suzuki I had years ago was bad, it had 700-16s and we tried it one day, it fell over very easy!..it was an LJ-50, 3 cyl two stroke, 540cc.

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:21pm
I'll defer to Pop Mechanic magazine article from back in the day

https://books.google.com/books?id=rNYDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA82&lpg=PA82&dq=willys+jeep+center+of+gravity&source=bl&ots=sbL419q6J2&sig=Ymb5XTCnDGjjAZ2NSFKIZCwkw-8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=USdlVKKqLoz9oQTr74DwBA&ved=0CEYQ6AEwBzge#v=onepage&q&f=false

65 degree hill and 50 degree side slope. Now this is for the MB or GPw so the side hill might be a bit less due to the Civilian Jeeps having a little higher center of gravity.

If you look at a M-38 data plate the center of gravity empty is 25.5" with a width of 57" so you would have to get that CG past the datum line at the outer edge of the tire you would have to tilt the jeep approx. 56 degrees Loaded the CG is 29" so it works out to about 54 degrees

Tire width additional equipment passengers would all have an effect on this.

I drew this out maybe someone not so far away from High School Geometry class could do it with math but I am sure my numbers are very close.

I do know that a Willys Jeep in 1st gear low range will climb a hill steep enough for it to come over backwards (pushing the clutch in at the proper time is an important life skill when this happens.)

I have had as I have said before a Stock Willys with a rag top on it so hard over to the drivers side in a gully that I had to put my hand out on the ground to remain seated (with my seat belt on)
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:51pm
I don't know, I have never flopped one sideways or over end. I get a bit leery at angles over 30 deg on side slopes. I know it's not going to tip but it just takes that one rock to start the show.
uncamonkey
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar. 2017 at 11:55pm
Mark

Thanks for that, I will read the entire thing later.

I remember years ago being in my 1978 Diesel Landrover and we were is some massive washouts, the thing was leaning over so far it fell against the bank, I put my arm out the window and pushed it back! and away we went.

The 55 degree mentioned in article is impressive, good to know when I am sidling around a hill.
1973 Saab 96
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

I do know that a Willys Jeep in 1st gear low range will climb a hill steep enough for it to come over backwards (pushing the clutch in at the proper time is an important life skill when this happens.)

I know that in my youth 40-some-odd years ago I started climbing a steep hill (in the city park, illegally) and the front end started getting goosey on Ol' Red, I backed down the hill, turned around and backed up the hill with no problem. I was impressing a bunch of friends as I recall......they were impressed. I would estimate that the hill was at least a 60 degree slope. I pulled that stunt several times over the next few weeks, but the city cops took a dim view of the whole thing and had a fence installed at the beginning of the hill.

Of course, this put the engine weight right over the front axle and let it dig in.

I never did side slopes.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 2:09am
Its the slide slopes that require spare underpants
1973 Saab 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 2:59am
It depends a lot on the vehicle and how it is set up, suspension, tires, wheels, weight up high, etc.
I was driving my motorhome up a mountain dirt road and got run off of it by a logging truck. Hit the truck or hit the ditch? Ditch. It stayed upright so I have no idea what the angle is for it either. I was digging grass and dirt out of the door frame and bumper for a while after.
uncamonkey
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 3:10am
The angle I was after was a scientific one?, ie: sitting on a tilt table.

The real world is quite different, but all the roll over specs are usually based on a perfect world test. Flat table, equal tyre pressue, slow tilt until it shows it wants to go.

To be honest you tend to fall out of the seat long before you go even close to the max angle on most vehicles.

1973 Saab 96
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 3:37am
It may take a day or two for me to find it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 3:54am
I used to have all of the info that would only apply to a MB in new stock form. Sold it and the Jeep many years ago
uncamonkey
tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 6:19pm
Scary, but still ok:

too much:

Edited by tamnalan - 27 Mar. 2017 at 6:22pm
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 7:27pm
Excellent photos, without putting a protractor on the top photo I say it was in the 20-25 degree range.

Its feels worse that it actually is.

Keep those angle shots coming
1973 Saab 96
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 7:53pm
I felt like I was going to be dumped out on this little wall.

Here's a view from the other side. (my camera man had a hard time keeping it on me. and I got high centered on a bush at the bottom. Dumb!!)

And just in case you were worried if I could make it back up or not.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 8:41pm
I have went up and down a 50 degree slope with no trouble as long as I could get traction.

I have been on a little over 30 degrees on a side slope and it was not a good feeling. I won't go past 35 degrees on a side slope. I have an inclinometer in my Jeep, especially on sand or dirt.
Life is only as good as you make it.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2017 at 4:45am
I don't sidehill well, either.  My own personal clinometer sets off alarm bells way before there's any real danger, but I heed it closely... in other words, I'm a sidehill chicken.  Unhappy
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
cal.bar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cal.bar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 7:04pm
Damn.  Most of that stuff looks like it was proceeded by "here, hold my beer"!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2017 at 8:40pm
Be Safe Out There.  Live to Wheel another day!  Roll Bar, Roll Bar, Roll Bar!!!
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2017 at 4:43am
Smfulle
 Your one crazy dude! Watching your videos makes me uncomfortable.
I guess I will be the one driving my jeep like a little old lady.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
 Post Reply Post Reply