Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MB/2A Mix n Match

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oregoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MB/2A Mix n Match
    Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 5:34am
First Willys project, and its already becoming a bit of a head scratcher.  My grandparents bought the Jeep back in '82 and gifted it to me earlier this summer.  Lots of childhood memories in this thing, so I figured it was worth having it shipped out to me in Oregon.  After much ado, the Jeep arrived this past weekend. 

The thing runs well (good compression at 105 PSI across the board), so I suppose my main objective is to replace the worn out bits, make some minor cosmetic fixes, and turn it into an around town weekend vehicle.  Maybe the occasional trips to the trailhead.  

Initially I thought I had a CJ2A, with the body and frame in decent condition.  I knew from photos that the suspension bushings and shackles were in rough shape so I ordered a suspension overhaul kit (springs, bushings, shackles, shocks) for  from Kaiser Willys.  

The suspension kit arrived, so I stick my head under the jeep to see what sort of job I have in front of me (should have done this BEFORE ordering anything!).  To my surprise, the  frame appears to have some unexpected "features".  The rear strut frame attachments appear to be relocated to a non-factory location.  As I look a little closer, I also notice this hunk of metal on a rear cross-member:

From what I've gathered, that seemingly unused bracket is in fact a gun turret mount?  Which implies that my chassis is an MB and not a CJ2A?  The drivers side body mounts are also on the inside of the left frame rail.  Given the windshield, side gas filler, tail gate, and grill all appear to match the 2A style, I'm left to believe that someone in the distant past combined these two.  

Trying to sort things out, I went in search of serial numbers.  The only one I could find was on the inside of the left front frame rail under 5 coats of paint:

Pardon the farmers' weld job.  Not sure why the lopped off the bumper gussets.  

The engine appears to be a chain drive version (horizontal and vertical rib on the timing cover).  I couldn't locate a serial number under/behind the oil canister, but I did find a short number stamped just above the water pump:

I guess my plan is to patch and repair as needed to get it up to a reliable level of operation (and stem all the oil leaks down to a slow trickle).  I'd like to maintain a somewhat original appearance, but don't making improvements or mods where reasonable.  Open to suggestions.

What's the difference between CJ2A and MB leaf springs and shackles?  I note that the rear shock mounts locations (and lengths) are different?  Any other reasons why I can't put my new CJ2A kit on the MB chassis?
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 12:40pm
Shouldn't be any difference for the springs and shackles, and I think the length of the shocks should be interchangeable too. Some of the very early frames were MB converted to CJ at the factory, you sure its not an early one? In the rear,are the shock mounts behind the axle or in front?(MB mounts will come up through the rear floor) And what does the front cross member where the bell crank mounts look like?

Edited by 48willys - 30 Aug. 2016 at 12:42pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 12:58pm
Anyone else notice no top bow pockets? Where is the spare tire mount?

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Oregoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oregoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 5:24pm
Not 100% what top bow pockets are...

Spare carrier is absent, but if dents and bondo are anything to go by, it was likely on the rear passenger side behind the wheel.

The rear struts attach on the lower part of the frame rail, about 6-8" behind the axle bumpstop. Noticed that the left and right attachments are different, so either one was repaired at some point or they're a homemade addition. Will get better pics when I get the wheels off.

Front crossmember under the radiator - a tube of some sort, will get pics on the next few days.

-Ben
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 6:39pm
Guess you are right, its a MB frame that someone has reworked. If it had been done by Willys it would have shock mounts like this
From the picture, I'm guessing the shocks are much shorter than they should be. If you want to use the shocks you bought you could get the shock mounts and spring plates from a cj2a and fix it the way Willys would have.

Edited by 48willys - 30 Aug. 2016 at 6:42pm
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2016 at 8:31pm
You have an early rare low window slat grill frame!!!
What is your engine number? Its on the side under the oil filter.
Thanks
Jay

92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2016 at 6:56am
Mine is almost identical. Mine even came with the machine gun mount cut in half like yours I was too new to the task to know what I was getting. Thought it was a cj2a but it is mounted on a military frame.

No big deal. Almost everything is interchangeable. Mine will end up a hybrid of 3 or 4 jeeps in the end. Some call that a 'salad'. But I don't really care about that. My end goal is a nice Sunday driver not a museum piece.

Enjoy the build.

Jon

15 Field RCA
Oregoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oregoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2016 at 9:36pm
Looking through the description of a Slat Grill Frame, it seems to line up with what I have, frame-wise anyways.

Engine serial numbers - The only external stamped number I can locate is on the block just above the water pump (see photo below).  The number reads simply "2371".  I removed the oil canister in search of this elusive 'MB' SN on the side of the block but was unable to find the boss that everyone else has.

I did note that the head has a GPW reference cast.  Is there a way to tell if the block is from a GPW? RH block casing is "11-19 638632 W1 A NI-CR N2"  as best as I can make out with the engine and fenders in place.

Thanks for the advice, Jon.  Will not be a museum piece, so I won't worry too much about mix and match.  Just want to make sure any reproduction pieces I buy fit right the first time.
JeepGeorge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepGeorge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 3:16am
I know this is a very old post but wanted to let you know that your frame is a correct CJ2A frame. We are currently restoring a 46 2A with the same late MB production frame with 22 modifications done at the factory to fit under the 2A body.  We estimate that only 300-500 were ever made making it one of the rarest 2A's made.  uploads/8923/brandon_frame_sized.pdf
GJB
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar. 2018 at 3:19am
Originally posted by JeepGeorge JeepGeorge wrote:

I know this is a very old post but wanted to let you know that your frame is a correct CJ2A frame. We are currently restoring a 46 2A with the same late MB production frame with 22 modifications done at the factory to fit under the 2A body.  We estimate that only 300-500 were ever made making it one of the rarest 2A's made.  uploads/8923/brandon_frame_sized.pdf
What is your serial number?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
46MB2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 3:12am
All,

I also have a 46 CJ2A on a modified MB frame.  The modifications i have match everything you all have said.  My serial number is 29455.  I have one question for everyone.  These early modded 2As came with a transmission crossmember just like the MB but was made deeper to accommodate the T90.  The one on my jeep is in very bad shape.  Does anyone who has one of these early 2As know how I can get a replacement?  The only ones I see are for the later 2A and on that bolts to the frame not the brackets attached to the frame. 

I would appreciate any help.

Kyle
Kyle Thomas
92889 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 92889 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:13am
what transmission are you using? T90 or T84?
15 Field RCA
46MB2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46MB2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 4:34am
T90.
Kyle Thomas
 Post Reply Post Reply