Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern Wiring

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modern Wiring
    Posted: 26 June 2015 at 4:23am
I wanted to give my wiring an update, but also implement fuses and relays.  I chose a 3 wire alternator because it will boost the voltage up if there is enough load depending one where you mount the sensing wire.  This should give me better voltage, especially to the headlights since I'm taking the load off of the ignition switch.

Also, two 50A fuses to protect the wiring running through the firewall - one is the source, and the other is the charge wire from the alt.

Sorry for the water-mark, I thought it was free, and apparently it's just a trial.  Any thoughts?

Full Size: Open Link in New Tab/Window

Edited by BrianJ - 26 June 2015 at 4:34am
Brian Jenkins

1946 CJ2A - SN: 12275
copicmarker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote copicmarker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2015 at 8:57am
very cool.thank you for sharing.
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2015 at 4:19pm
For the fuse block, I ended up using one each of these.  One will be constant, direct feed (always on), and the other will be fed as a sub-panel from the first block but using the relay above.  So it is switched with the accessory circuit.  Originally I thought I could use their 12-fuse block and split the bus, but you can't - hence the two units.  One has ground attachments, and the other one does not.

Blue Sea Systems 5025 ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Negative Bus and Cover

Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 6 Circuits with Cover

Also, a note on the wiring.  They call it 'Primary Wire' - it has more strands than THHN.  Lowes has some, as do the auto parts stores.  I went to three different places to get it in the colors I wanted.  In the end, I'm still short on colors but I bought colored tape to help distinguish them.  Also using a label maker on the ends of the wires.  It helps keep it straight.  

Plan ahead and get the 14awg wiring from Amazon/Ebay - It's cheaper and in longer quantities.  I've seen 6-7 spools of different colors for about $40-45 for 100' each.  I've been paying $5-6 for 20 feet in limited colors.  

I used 8 awg stereo wiring kits - I had an old one, and purchased a new one for $23 that includes the fuses, wire, terminals, etc.  It was almost the same price as buying the fuse holders, fuses, and terminals separately.

I have some minor revisions for the drawing that I'll post when I am done AND once I make sure everything works Big smile
Brian Jenkins

BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 4:04am
Here's a good thread on rewiring the headlight connectors.  Although if your connectors are in bad shape, they're only $3/each.   Search for Dorman 85810 (Amazon/Advanced had them).  The one in the picture are easy to rewire.  One of mine had that style, the other was different and more difficult.

I did not braid them as he shows, although I did run a separate ground.

Brian Jenkins

BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2015 at 8:06pm
Blue Sea Systems wrote me back and they do have a split bus box which can be used for constant on/switched circuits.  This is a one piece setup instead of using what I did above

Brian Jenkins

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 3:00am
I have used the Blue Sea fuse panels and other products in Automoitive, marine, and travel trailer projects and they are high quality. 

I am starting the re-wire of my 2A project. What I am looking for is a unified NO Relay and blade fuse unit so that I can run fused battery power to my H4 100/170 watt headlights - two relay circuits - one for low beams one for high gems. A third circuit will control the park lights. 

ANYBODY KNOW OF A PRODUCT TO HQNDLE THIS TASK?
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2015 at 2:57pm
I looked into the Blue Sea products when I rewired my 3B the second time (the first rewire was 1974 vintage).  Yes, they have quality stuff.  Over-priced quality stuff and in a lot of cases, just re-branded standard Bussmann items for twice the price.  I started using the Bussmann 15300 series blocks and have since used them in every rewire job I've done.  Very compact, waterproof, and available with a lot of different bussing options. 

I used two 15300 blocks in my B, one for the main fuse panel and one for the main relays-all ATM style fuses/relays.

The best place I've found for purchasing electrical components is Waytek Wire.

http://www.waytekwire.com/products/
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
BrianJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 1:19am
Those would have worked a little cleaner with the built in spaces for the relays.  I ended up remote routing the two for the headlights and was able to bury them near the horn.  The horn/accessory relay will be up under the dash.  I was able to use the 12 slot circuit board I bought from Blue Sea, and cut the bus bar inside and will backfeed it with the accessory circuit.  Got it for $30, so I'm happy.  Anything modern is hidden, and I've been wrapping the wire using friction tape so it's old looking.

Mike - your lights will use up to 14 amps each, so you'll need 12 AWG wire, 20A inline fuse, and a 4 prong relay.  The relay will probably be 40A or so, but that's what it can handle (max), the fuse protects the wire, etc.  If there's other things powered off the relay, run 10 AWG and a 30A fuse.
Brian Jenkins

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 5:30pm
Brian -- Thanks for the ideas. i plan on two relays one each for high and low beams. The two high beams at 170 watts each = 340 watts or 28 amps for the circuit. I would probably use a 35A or 40A breaker. 

Edited by Mike S - 01 July 2015 at 5:32pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
brubakes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brubakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 3:56am
This will come in very handy thank for posting. Any suggestions on what needs changed for a two wire alternator?
'42 GPW ('51 CJ3A drivetrain) | '00 Wrangler | '08 Grand Cherokee | '10 Patriot
 Post Reply Post Reply