Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Suggestions and Comments for the forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modifications vs dealer supplied accessories

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexBillHS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modifications vs dealer supplied accessories
    Posted: 28 Mar. 2014 at 5:08pm

I just got bumped to ‘Modifications from the Original’.  One thing to know, the early Willys CJs had virtually nothing on them coming from the factory, just a driver’s seat.  Dealers had Willys approved accessories; heater, passenger and rear seat, grill cover, canvas and hard tops, PTOs and yes, turn signals.  Some of us are old enough to remember Sear Roebuck aftermarket catalogs, these too were accessories but not always modifications.  Now cutting and welding in a Saginaw steering box in place of the original Ross and remaking the tie rods is what I’d call modifications.   Might be nit picking

Old Guy
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2014 at 5:38pm
The criteria that I am using is if the part is shown in the Willys Parts List, it is not a modification.  If it is not in the Willys List, then it is not a Willys part and is a modification.  The parts list is available to all of us and does not involve subjective judgement.  Here is a link to an online Parts List that Sean has generously provided.  It is a great resource.  If you look at the Special Equipment and Accessories section in the back, all of the other items you mentioned such as PTOs, seats, chaff screen, canvas top and so forth are there.  There are no turn signals in the Willys Parts List.

Yes, I am quite old enough to recall and use both Sears and J.C. Whitney parts and accessories for flatfender Jeeps.  I got my first CJ-2A in 1957. Embarrassed

Also, this thread is being moved to the Suggestions and Comments for the Forum because that is where it belongs. Big smile

Edited by samcj2a - 30 Mar. 2014 at 5:28pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2014 at 8:59pm
Hmm.

I guess I'll dig out my Factory Authorized turn signal kit and take some pictures...Smile
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2014 at 11:37pm
[QUOTE=Joe Friday] Hmm.

I guess I'll dig out my Factory Authorized turn signal kit and take some pictures...Smile
[/QUOTEDig out your reading comprehension book and reread the criteria.  Wink I believe that there were many Willys Authorized accessories, but the factory did not install them nor did Willys see fit to give them part numbers and include them in their Parts Lists. 

In all seriousness, we need a criteria that is clear and easy for anyone to determine and look up.  If there is a better one than a part appearing in the Willys Parts List, I'm completely open to consider alternatives.
Sam

48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2014 at 9:37pm

I believe Willys or Jeep Authorized or Approved should fit this criteria not merely the Willys Parts List.

Willys and Jeep took the time to publish them as such and were most likely ordered from the supplier as to why they probably never received part numbers.

Is it time for a Willys/Jeep Approved topic header too?

JMHO

Edited by 48cj2a - 29 Mar. 2014 at 9:39pm
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2014 at 9:49pm
II'm fine with that (treating Willys authorized parts as other than modifications) as long as someone can provide an authoritative list.  If there is such a list, if it is not online, one of us can scan and post it.  If we don't have such a list, then I don't want to deal with the ambiguity of there not being a common list to which we can all reference.

The other reason we need a single list that all can reference is that if any Willys or Jeep authorized item were included, then there would be all kinds of non-period correct items since there could easily be items from lists in the '60s or '70s that would pop up.  So, if someone can come up with a list of authorized items from the late '40s or very early '50s, we can use that once it is online.

Edited by samcj2a - 29 Mar. 2014 at 10:08pm
Sam

Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2014 at 5:03am
I'm fine with your first definition. The turn signal kit has a Willys Part Number, and Willys Packaging.
If I wasn't crawling around in the snow installing a fuel pump in my daughters TJ I would have posted the picture by now.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2014 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

I'm fine with your first definition. The turn signal kit has a Willys Part Number, and Willys Packaging.
If I wasn't crawling around in the snow installing a fuel pump in my daughters TJ I would have posted the picture by now.
Please keep all the snow.  We've had at least our fair share so far.

When you dig out the turn signal kit, it will be interesting to see the value of the Willys part number to see where it time we'd estimate the part was released.  

For now, I will maintain the criteria of modifications being the addition of anything not in the '45, '47 and '49 Willys parts lists as posted by Sean.  Also, reproductions of these parts are also considered to be original and not modifications for purposes of this classification.  

Of course, this choice is subject to change in the event new or better information surfaces as it often does.

An important comment on the movement of posts to Modifications from Original or to any other forum should not be viewed as lessening the value or worth of a post.  Rather, it is simply and attempt to categorize posts/threads in a predictable fashion to make future searches easier and more efficient.  If everything were all in a single forum, you'd be hard pressed to find anything from as recently as two years ago since search results are capped at the first 100 results returned.  Obviously, very careful selection of search terms helps as does a familiarity with terms that might have been used in the posts of interest.  That last bit is hard to accomplish if you are relatively new to the forum.
Sam

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2014 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by samcj2a samcj2a wrote:

An important comment on the movement of posts to Modifications from Original or to any other forum should not be viewed as lessening the value or worth of a post.  Rather, it is simply and attempt to categorize posts/threads in a predictable fashion to make future searches easier and more efficient.  If everything were all in a single forum, you'd be hard pressed to find anything from as recently as two years ago since search results are capped at the first 100 results returned.  Obviously, very careful selection of search terms helps as does a familiarity with terms that might have been used in the posts of interest.  That last bit is hard to accomplish if you are relatively new to the forum.

Very good point IMHO. Also One could add the Willy's Equipment book to this discussion as well, all factory approved accessories, where do you draw the line ?. Forum searches often take time, most are in a hurry and find it easier to ask than look, adding to the clutter. Again MHO.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
 Post Reply Post Reply