Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 2a project begins

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 2a project begins
    Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 3:15pm
Well, thanks to a very nice guy(Bob), that is a member here, I brought home a 48 the other day.  A little tinkering, and she fires right up, drives like a champ, and doesn't look half bad. 
the good:  It's a 2a.  It runs strong.  Has a pto and ag weight, working lights, horn, etc., steering is tight.
the bad:  not too original (engine, etc), has some bondo in her, no brakes, exhaust is pretty shot. 

I think I'm gonna fix the exhaust and brakes right away, have fun tinkering with her and driving around town for a while.  Then, I'm gonna try to find an L head engine, start working on it, and when its ready, swap it out and get rid of that funny box of chocolates on the hood.  I'll probably never try to do a full resto, but rather get her all shored up and just have fun drivin her around.  My son already named her Truman (we're bit Mo Tigers fans and HST was pres when she was made).  I'll try to post pics as I get moving along.  In case you are wondering, I have the gas tank, but will be getting it cleaned and lined before hooking it up, hence the rigged line coming out of the back for now.
Dave

When I try to post pic, it says image is too large.  How do I get around that?
Thanks
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 3:22pm
Tooge,
I'm more than happy to have helped you guys out!
I think it will be a great Jeep for you and your son.
I know you'll enjoy and take care of her!
Kilroy
"You know, I'm too old a bunny to get very excited about all this."
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army
France: 5 June 1944

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 3:35pm
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 3:42pm
Ok, one question.  Unless I'm a complete idiot, which isn't out of the question, where in the heck is the oil filter?  Is it possible there isn't one on here?  If so, what do I need to do about it?  Also, that vent tube (with duct tape on the end) coming out of the block is a what?  I looked all over the cj3b page looking for info as to what is going on here, but came up empty.  Any ideas?
Thanks, Dave
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 4:03pm
I don't think it ever had one on there... Never thought about it! Wacko
Not sure what the tube is.
Someone really smart on here will know.
THAT IS ONE HAPPY LOOKING KID!!!! LOL
Thumbs Up
General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 4:16pm
heh, he is.  He wanted to "wash" it last night, so I gave him a hose and a few towels.  He got it cleaned up while I mowed.  I think he just wanted to ride in it cuz he knew I'd have to drive it up the driveway to the water spout.
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by tooge tooge wrote:

... where in the heck is the oil filter?  Is it possible there isn't one on here?...
Not too familiar with F-heads, but look at the photos here:

http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/Hurricane.html

Quote  Also, that vent tube (with duct tape on the end) coming out of the block is a what?
Manifold PCV valve inlet.

Sean
Harveynailbanger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harveynailbanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 6:05pm
does Bob have another for sale? I think you've already lost that one.

rick
if the grass is greener on the other side, try waterin your grass.
"I hope I'm half the person that my dogs think I am"
I only do what the voices in my toolbox tell me to.
46 CJ2A 71804
kilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Harveynailbanger Harveynailbanger wrote:

does Bob have another for sale? I think you've already lost that one.

rick

Wink
It does look that way!
LOL
Those two are gonna have a blast with her... Clap
Now, if I can just get over my "Sellers Remorse". Ermm
LOL

General H.E. von Salmuth
Commander
German Fourth Army

1947 Willys CJ2A
1947 Bantam T3-C Trailer

garage gnome View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garage gnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr. 2012 at 11:33pm
You couldn't have bought from a better owner! Kilroy is one helluva nice guy!
Nate
1953 3A, 1949 3A, 1947 2A, 1918 IHC Titan 10-20, 1905 IHC Famous, other hit n misses
maddawg308 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maddawg308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr. 2012 at 1:32am
Yank that F-head and get an L-head on there! :)
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr. 2012 at 4:12pm
Little update.  New fuel pump, new fuel lines, tank cleaned and lined, new sending unit.  Have a real fuel source!!!!!  Started sanding a few spots I thought were bondo, and found what looks like brass welded patch.  Cleans up nicer than bondo for sure.  Onto the brakes next.
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2012 at 4:54pm
got her fired up for the first time since swapping the carter carb for a holley.  No more hood box!

check it out.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IbHJAbKgRWk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 7:43pm
Here are a few updated pics.  I'm not doing a frame up type resto, but rather getting it running well and safe and looking half way decent.  Anyone know if any of these parts are original or rare (tail light, pto)?
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 7:45pm
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 7:47pm
here's another
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 7:49pm
tooge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2012 at 7:59pm
took this to show the front bumper.  I took the ag weight off, but still have it.   It's one heavy sob.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>