Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My first CJ2A mystery

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first CJ2A mystery
    Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 7:59pm
I'll get some pics up of "Apple Brown Betty" shortly.
First though, I need to sort out a bit of a mystery involving the serial number.

I bought the Jeep from a guy that said it was a 48 but listed the serial number as 89450.
That would put it in 47 territory.
I was shooting some pics of the tags and took a closer look at the numbers and it looks like it was faintly stamped 189450.
Now that would be more like it.
The wife says it looks like a scratch instead of a "1" to her and on other tags the 1 has a definite base and flag on it.
I'll throw it open to debate on here.

And here's a closeup.

To make it more interesting, the body tag says 176089 which according to the data information page here on the CJ2A site puts it in 1948. That lends some credence to the serial number being 189450.

Unfortunately there's no frame tag to compare.
Is there some other place on the vehicle, or some characteristic that would identify it as either a 47 or 48?

Thanks all,
Neil
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 8:57pm
Looks like it could be a lightly stamped "1". Look at the backside and see if it shows there.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 10:49pm
If it is a '48, no. 189450, it would not have had a frame tag. Nor an ACM no., but maybe a tailgate number. BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 11:02pm
Even on my phone, I could see a faint "flag" on the leading one.
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Neil R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2014 at 5:34pm
After serious consideration and some technical expertise (it came up "tails") I've concluded that we're looking at a 48 and that indeed is a poorly stamped "1" on the tag.
Thanks much to everyone that commented and helped confirm it.

With a bit of luck and nice weather I'll start ripping into her next week and get some pics posted.

Here's what she looked like when I rolled her off the trailer.

Rolls pretty freely for something that's been in a shed for the last several years.
More to follow
AbeCJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbeCJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2014 at 4:45am
If it's like mine, the brakes were no longer doing anything after 30 years, which led to good rolling, even with low tire pressure!
Neil R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2014 at 5:15am
Originally posted by AbeCJ2A AbeCJ2A wrote:

If it's like mine, the brakes were no longer doing anything after 30 years, which led to good rolling, even with low tire pressure!

The brakes are just like yours.
Seems like every other old car I've let sit more than a few months froze into immobility LOL
oldracer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 4:08am
Hi Neil, My 48 is #192834 and the 1 was stamped just like yours. You could barely see it. I would show you a picture of it if I hadn't decided to remove the paint the PO sprayed over it to get a better look at the 1. Dropped the plate in some paint thinner and when I came back to check on it the paint was gone - and so was the plate!! Luckily I found the original title to double check the number. Good Luck
T. Nick
If it's not broke, work on it till it is!

48 CJ2A #192834 "Grunt"
Neil R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by oldracer oldracer wrote:

Hi Neil, My 48 is #192834 and the 1 was stamped just like yours. You could barely see it. I would show you a picture of it if I hadn't decided to remove the paint the PO sprayed over it to get a better look at the 1. Dropped the plate in some paint thinner and when I came back to check on it the paint was gone - and so was the plate!! Luckily I found the original title to double check the number. Good Luck

Thanks for that confirmation.
Sorry to hear about the molten data plate!
My body tag looks like someone swiped across it with a welding rod and it goes right through the third digit, so I don't know if it's a "6" or an "8".

Solving this stuff is part of what makes a restoration entertaining!
 Post Reply Post Reply