Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Kind of Deer Hunt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Kind of Deer Hunt
    Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 1:26am
This weekend is the opening of deer season here in Utah. I always go with my brothers, Dad, and my son-in-law to the same area in central Utah near a tiny little town called Mayfield. This year for the first time, we brought along my 4 year old grandson. I never buy a tag, or bring a weapon. I just use it as an excuse to spend time with people I love and to go on some great jeep rides.

Here’s my son-in-law, my grandson and two nieces on our way up the mountain.

My grandson posing with Grampa’s Jeep (that’s its name).

The kids and my son-in-law checking out the view.

We found this road that had a sign “Road not maintained. Slide area. Proceed at your own risk.”  So of course we had to check it out.  Here is Grampa’s Jeep posing for a shot on one of the steep hills. We didn't go all the way to the end of this road because we had to get back for lunch, so we had to come back up this hill later. No problems for Grampa’s Jeep.

There we some kind of nasty mud holes on this road. We took some movies of some of them. They looked worse in person than on the videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrj_5eFC5ws&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ov7kAn_SUkU&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdUAmR4d2oI&feature=youtu.be

The next day we took a climb up a mountain with some really steep, rocky trails. Here is my brother, holding his son with his daughter and my grandson in the back. This was one of the few level spots on the trail, and it had such a great view, I had to take a picture. My phone camera really doesn't do it justice.

Near the top we got off to look over this cliff. More awesome views that the phone camera is not up to showing.

Grampa’s Jeep waits patiently for us to climb back aboard and keep on climbing.

Grampa’s jeep trying to creep up on the edge of a cliff to take a look.

“So that’s what it looks like! No wonder you people wanted to jump off and get a better view.”

The next ride we went on was on the other side of the mountain looking East. Not as difficult a climb, but more fantastic views.

[URL=http://s715.photobucket.com/user/smfuller/media/4%20WHEELING/20141018_153841_zpsl15zryai.jpg.html]http://i715.photobucket.com/albums/ww154/smfuller/4%20WHEELING/20141018_153841_zpsl15zryai.jpg" />[/URL]

All in all, it was a great weekend. All the hunters filled their tags and Grampa’s jeep provided some great thrills for me,  my brother, and a bunch of kids.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 2:47am
Thank's smfulle for the beautifull pic's,it just don't get any better than that,hunting in a flat fender in beautifull country,those little fellow's will alway's remember time's like those and carry on the willy's legend long after we are gone,sure have fond memorie's of rideing in them when I was their age!Smile
cj2a51-10
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 2:54am
Great story and pictures! Grandpa's Jeep is glueing your family together. Very special! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 2:59am
Great pictures! looks like everyone had a lot of fun.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 5:19am
Man that jeep is so cool. I would pay money for a paint job like that. Great pics
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct. 2014 at 2:16pm
Very nice pictures.
I really like those kinds of videos and the sound tracks are PERFECT!

In my neighborhood, it's best to stay out of the woods during hunting seasons.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 1:03am
Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Man that jeep is so cool. I would pay money for a paint job like that. Great pics

Thanks for the compliment.  Grampa's Jeep is a blast to drive, and darn fun to work on too.

It's easy to get your jeep to look like mine. Here's how:

1. Start out with original Luzon Red paint job. Abuse your jeep for a few years until the Luzon Red doesn't look good anymore.

2. Paint it some random sky blue color, probably from a spray can, or maybe even with a brush.

3. Use jeep for 35  more years, always parking it outside, and never fixing any paint chips or or scratches, and never washing off the mud and grime that holds rust. 

4. Park the jeep in a field somewhere, preferably at high altitude. where the sun doesn't have quite as much atmosphere to blast through to make the paint fade and peel.

5. Wait 20 more years before you touch it again.

Paint job finished. Enjoy!
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct. 2014 at 2:04am
If you don't want to wait so long though, there's a resto shop up here that does those kinds of paint jobs. The owner has a 48 ( I think) Dodge Power wagon with a flat six that has a really sweet hand painted 'patina' paintjob.
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2014 at 10:06pm
Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

If you don't want to wait so long though, there's a resto shop up here that does those kinds of paint jobs. The owner has a 48 ( I think) Dodge Power wagon with a flat six that has a really sweet hand painted 'patina' paintjob.

Now  that would just be cheating.Wink
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2014 at 2:13pm
What a fun Grandpa!  You're making great memories and your grandkids will treasure your jeep as much as you do.  Nice country too!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2014 at 7:20pm
The Jeep in its natural environment ..........To me a weathered beaten up looking working vehicle will always win if put along side  a trailer queen....

So as soon as I finish my over the top restoration I have to use it heaps and once it gets a few scars then its broken in..LOL

Thanks for the great pictures.

I've hunted Mule Deer in Colorado many years ago and very similar looking country.....must come back some time

Adrian 
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 2:22am
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by LesBerg LesBerg wrote:

Now  that would just be cheating.Wink

True story, but it doesn't take 70 years Tongue
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn

RSR_MK View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSR_MK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2014 at 3:49pm
Thanks for sharing, it just don't get any better than a family jeep ride on a nice weekend.Tongue
Zuma58 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zuma58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:15am
Clap
Originally posted by RSR_MK RSR_MK wrote:

Thanks for sharing, it just don't get any better than a family jeep ride on a nice weekend.Tongue
Clap Nicely Done!!!
Steve
Long May You Run!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply