Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 48 2A Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 48 2A Project
    Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 5:28am
I drove up to the Oklahoma border from Dallas last Friday night to purchase this Jeep from an individual. I grew up around these things on hunting leases over the years and always wanted one of my own. Its good to see there is a vast amount of information and parts available on the internet. If any of you have any suggestions or tips please feel free to holler at me.

I'm trying to locate a replacement radiator for this cj-2a and can't seem to find one for less than $450. Is that the going rate out there? Seems awfully high!

Here are my initial pictures of the Jeep.

Here is a quick shot of the interior:

Here is a picture from the rear:

And finally, a picture of a heater that says "Heatmaster" on it. Not sure where this came from. I can't seem to find much on this online, yet. It came with the Jeep (not mounted), but looks to have been mounted at one time on the passenger side under the dash.  Anyone know anything about this heater?

Edited by OverlandMan - 24 Jan. 2012 at 4:51pm
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 10:54am
Welcome, looks like you've got a fairly solid one to start with, I can't tell you anything about the heater.
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Scott R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 12:36pm

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked into just having the radiator thats in it re-cored? Last time I had one done (several years ago not a jeep) cost about $110.

Hopefully somebody thats had one done recently will give more info. If not, go ahead and post a question the tech section.
Michigan Flat Fender Club on Facebook

1949 CJ2A #221621

1965 CJ-5
OverlandMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 4:02pm
Thanks Rob
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 4:03pm
Scott,

I will take your advice and post that in the tech section and see what I come up with. Thanks!
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 4:08pm
I had my radiator re-cored here in the UK last month (he had to send to the US for the parts though), and it cost about $190. It looks superb, I'm very happy with the result, and I bet prices over there are a fair bit lower.
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2009 at 4:21pm
look around. I got mine brand new off fleabay on an auction that was ending in the middle of the night for $200. I took my original to 2 different rad shops by me and both places wanted $300. when I get some extra cash I will most likely have it recored for a nice spare.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2009 at 9:59pm
A quick update - I bought a radiator off eBay for $180 (including shipping). Hopefully its legit and I didn't get ripped off. I'll let ya'll know post-install.

Next on my list is getting an air filter system setup for it.
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 4:12am
Just wanted to update everyone on my progress this week. I was able to locate a new radiator on eBay for $180. I installed it tonight with no problem. I've also replaced the spark plugs, plug wires, put a new air horn on the carb, new ignition switch, and new brakes and brake lines all the way around. Next up is body work and paint followed by re-wiring and new gauges.

I was wondering if I could get ya'lls input on engine oil viscosity, brand, etc. Obviously I have the original 134 flat-four.  It drips just a smidge now and then, nothing serious enough to tear it down and start replacing seals (yet). I was thinking about a straight weight as in a SAE 30 or 40 weight. What do ya'll run in similar applications? One thing to take into consideration as well is the high heat we get for 2-3 months during the summer. I'd probably need just a tad thicker oil during that time. Anyways, please holler back at me and let me know ya'lls thoughts.

Thanks much,

1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 12:51am
here is a link to the owners manual
http://www.thecj2apage.com/om1.html

here is the engine oil link in that manual
http://www.thecj2apage.com/specs.html
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 12:57am
I use modern multigrade oil in mine. The recommendations in the manual were written when multigrade wasn't available. Can't think of any reason not to use it (except for being "correct" LOL) I use 15W40 Kendall (which is one of the few oils that still have a zinc content)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 3:58am
Thanks guys. 
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
jeepfreak81 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepfreak81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Scott R Scott R wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

Have you looked into just having the radiator thats in it re-cored? Last time I had one done (several years ago not a jeep) cost about $110.

Hopefully somebody thats had one done recently will give more info. If not, go ahead and post a question the tech section.

I was quoted over $400 2 years ago around here to rebuild mine.  That was when copper and brass were through the roof though.  Luckily mine only needed rodded out.
1st Jeep, V8 YJ, A winch and a Foot... Trail Tested

2nd Jeep 1946 CJ2A 6 Cylinders - Time Tested and wheeled

2008 Hummer H3

1929 Model A Standard Coupe

1966 M416

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2009 at 9:34pm
I know I've read about replacing the windshield glass in these forums before; however, does anyone know someone who'll do this around the Dallas area? I'm having a heck of a time trying to get an estimate.

Thanks!
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
RandyYJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RandyYJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 12:08am
Originally posted by OverlandMan OverlandMan wrote:

Just wanted to update everyone on my progress this week. I was able to locate a new radiator on eBay for $180. I installed it tonight with no problem.

Did you buy it from an ebay store or a private individual?

Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2009 at 10:53pm
Private individual I believe. Someone up in Oregon...
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
Lew Ladwig View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lew Ladwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2009 at 8:02pm
Give rebuilding your radiator a try.  I have done two now and they work great!
Check out my gpw radiator rebuild:http://1945gpw.com/c-92-G503_WWII_Jeep_Radiator_Rebuild_Restore.aspx
Good luck,
Lew
Lew Ladwig
President of the CFFC and IFFC
http://internationalflatfenderclub.com/index.html
http://www.facebook.com/#!/InternationalFlatFinderClub

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverlandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2009 at 5:55am
I'm impressed. How much in materials did that run you and how long did it take? Looks pretty involved but I like it! Good work! How much would you charge to do one?
1948 CJ2A # 217333
My Project

JW in Dallas, TX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>