Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

T84/TC vs.T90/D18 in CJ-2A?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T84/TC vs.T90/D18 in CJ-2A?
    Posted: 18 Apr. 2014 at 4:04pm
Hello, I have posted in the technical area that I had pulled my trans and TC from my '48 CJ2A to get rebuilt, as the synchro was not working into 2nd gear. I have dropped them both off at Novak for rebuilding the trans assuming it was a T90 and D18, but they have told me I have the T84 and Military 'outside Ebrake' transfer case. They are going ahead with the rebuild (they can MAKE any part that cannot be bought) and should be done in a couple weeks.

I have since been PM'd and replied to that I should seek out someone who needs the T84 and TC for a military original jeep. I have received several flat-out cash offers to buy the T84 and TC once it's all done that would leave me with $ in hand, but that would leave me with no Trans and TC.

Personally, I don't care what trans and TC I have as long as the rig goes forward when I hit the gas. So I'm putting feelers out there to see if there's any way to maybe trade for a similar rebuilt T90/D18 setup and some $, or if someone wants to take the rebuilt setup from Novak directly (will be about $900) in exchange for a known good T90/D18, I'd be open to that or other potential propositions. I'm just south of Salt Lake City.

Offer to trade here:  http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/my-t84-tc-for-yourt90-d18_topic31957.html

Edited by samcj2a - 29 Apr. 2014 at 2:38pm
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 2:04pm
Those two different trannys require different crossmember locations. You need to determine if you have an older military/early postwar chassis (in which case the T84 would be correct) or if the original later chassis has been modified. Either way you need to determine if the crossmember can be successfully relocated to accomodate the T90. The driveshaft will also be of a different length. In other words it's not a simple plug and play exchange.

Larry
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by rocketeer rocketeer wrote:

Those two different trannys require different crossmember locations. You need to determine if you have an older military/early postwar chassis (in which case the T84 would be correct) or if the original later chassis has been modified. Either way you need to determine if the crossmember can be successfully relocated to accomodate the T90. The driveshaft will also be of a different length. In other words it's not a simple plug and play exchange.

Larry

When I removed the trans and tx case and cross member, I did them as a whole. I do not recall anything unusual with the crossmember mounting, so maybe I should check the serial on the frame not jsut the VIN plate and see if Im dealing with a true frankenjeep..... The floor shifter hole for the TX handles does have a small 1/2 inch extra clearance that has been manually added on the right side to clear the shifters...
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 9:57pm
Couple of things you can look for to try and determine what frame you have. Body mounts inside of frame  or some outside of frame? Is there a remnant of a machine gun mount on top of the intermediate frame crossmember? Does your steering linkage pivot on the front crossmember or is it attached to the front axle housing?

Larry
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr. 2014 at 11:08pm
If you could point out with a picture like I am 5, exactly where to find those things Ill check shortly.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 12:26am
You posted a bunch of pics of your tub in the other thread so how about adding a bunch of pics of the chassis so we can help determine what you have.

Larry
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 1:33am
Hi Garp,

Here is a video with a pretty full explanation of the differences in the frames including the tranny crossmember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bL464GHLSc

.... in a nutshell, the tranny crossmember are in the same location but the CJ2A crossmember is an inch deeper to accommodate the T-90.

Edited by jpet - 29 Apr. 2014 at 1:38am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 2:23am
You sure about the crossmember location Jeff? There is a 1 inch difference in length between a T84 and a T90 tranny. I have seen several MB's with a T90 installed and all had to relocate the crossmember 1 inch to the rear. Bensingers list the changes necessary to convert their WWII frame to a CJ2A frame and one of those changes is to relocate the crossmember rearward.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906&start=60

Larry
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 2:47am

You sure about the crossmember location Jeff? ......
I guess you are right. I assumed they were the same since I have an MB with a t-90 in it but under closer investigation.....

.... I see that the PO did offset the crossmember about an inch so I took some measurements from my other MB. From edge of shackle bracket to front of tranny mount:

CJ2A:

.... about 1" difference   
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 4:18am
General Willys has what was originally an MB frame, are there two sets of crossmember holes in the frame?
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 12:09pm
This thread might be better served if moved to the Technical section.

Larry
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by lowenuf lowenuf wrote:

General Willys has what was originally an MB frame, are there two sets of crossmember holes in the frame?
As  matter of fact, under further investigation ....

you can see the original hole and the polygon shaped ... shim ... thingy.. behind and it is offset so that would be another part of the 29XXX frame conversion

Edit:  also notice the 1" shim that was added to the crossmember to accommodate the T-90
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr. 2014 at 2:28pm

This thread might be better served if moved to the Technical section.

Larry
I will see what I can do about splitting the first post from the discussion that follows.

Edited by samcj2a - 29 Apr. 2014 at 4:58pm
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Garp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr. 2014 at 1:00pm
I will be taking the tub off soon and take pictures. the cross member is with the trans and tx case assembly for now at Novak.
 Post Reply Post Reply