Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Narrow tire choices

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Kadett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Narrow tire choices
    Posted: 21 June 2014 at 9:03pm
Need help deciding tires.

We want to retain the narrow look of our 600x16 tires, and would just buy radials from Coker, except they are $500 more than the Bias Ply or NDT options.   So is price difference worth it?

We drive our '46 CJ2A only on roads. Is used for quick runs around a small town, and hour long drives out on country roads. We just see it as a neat convertible that goes slow to enjoy the view.

NDT's seem to be very popular, and we like the looks.   But worry about the road noise from the lugs, and if would distract during the country side drives. We assume they whine at road speed. How noisy are they? Also the poor performance on wet is a concern.

Bias Ply options look good, but with lots excursions at 2 miles trips to soccer game or ice cream shop, if half of that time is spent waiting for tires to warm up and smooth out... Takes some of the fun out it. I drove a couple of cars in the 70s with bias plys, and I remember some rough riding at first.

Radials do seem overkill for their cost. Am guessing they handle better. But the jeep has so much play in steering now, am not sure how much handling performance we would see.   Although we are considering investing in improving steering in the future.

We really like the narrow tire look on the jeep, adds to its uniqueness. So don't want to change tire size, although probably could get cheaper.

We plan to have the jeep for a long time. Is a family heirloom.   So amount of driving, and time we will own would help spread the cost out for the radials.   But $500 is a lot to spread.

Sorry for yet another tire posting, but I wasn't find one that matched our needs.

Thanks
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 9:14pm
I would go NDT, no worries on noise as they are quiet and they tend not to pitch rocks on gravel roads. .........Ant they are just plain cool!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 11:01pm
I've found  the NDCC M38 Tire is much softer in ride. Like balloon tires.  They do make a noise on some surfaces, but not terrible. The radials give a superior ride, and are about 30-50 dollars higher in price each. The problem with radials are you need to run tubes in them to not have a issue with air leakage and possible bead coming off rim if tubless.  For traction tires in the winter, The STA super traxions are better than NDT's or NDCC"s.  Some tire companies will not mount radials on Jeep rims because the minumum width required by the manufacturer is more than a Jeep rim. The bigger the tire, the more power is robbed from a stock CJ2A. 215-85 R16 is the radial size. Many companies and many treads and prices are out there. For plinking around in the summer, NDT's work fine. They accept tire chains well if you get in the tough stuff. They look cool too! Stay away from tires made in India. Pure bouncing out of round weather checking crap!!!!!Angry There you have it. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2014 at 11:15pm
I like my NDT's and don't think that my rig would look right with radials. There are lots of noises that these things make so that the tires are just part of the symphony.  NTD's are terrible in sand!

NTD's are great on red rock!

For just rolling around town, radials would be a softer, smoother ride, and they would probably do better in snow.  I just couldn't do it on my rig. To me it we be like putting bean bag chairs at the football stadium, it might be more comfortable, but just wouldn't look right.

The neat think about this hobby is that we all have our own unique vehicles. Some people on here have Jeeps that are awesome and cool, but I couldn't duplicate in a million years.   
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 12:25am
I've never been able to hear the tires over all the other noises mine makes. LOL
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Kadett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kadett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 1:43am
I am not seeing the specs match for a 215-85R16 to our current 600x16 M&S, which is 28" dia and 5.5” tread width.   Which is what we are trying to match.

Edited by Kadett - 22 June 2014 at 2:51am
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 1:47am
I have Cooper Discoverer LT Radials - 215/85/16 on my '46 CJ2A and love them.  90% of my driving is on  the paved road and the remainder is on dirt roads in the outback.  I run about 30 psi on the road, and drop them to 20-25 psi off-road.  The tires work great and take me most anywhere I want to go.

I am not a "radical" off-roader though.  Give me the OHV routes in the National Forest and I'm just happy as pie.   Thumbs Up
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 4:05am
How can you tell if the NDTs are made in India. I think performanceplus tires have them for $89 a piece but they don't say what brand.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 4:42am
Ask the supplier where they are made. My Interco Crap tires actually say made in India on them. STA Specialty Tires Of America are made in Pennsylvania. I like them. Tire Mfg. specs should give the diameter for you.  John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 5:32am
Stan, I like that Jeep and the video is great.

Kadett, you may have problems using radials if you don't put radial tubes in them. Radials take a special tube. As to the NDT's, mine are not noisy. When your on asphalt the tire is running on the center part of the tread, they don't roar like a lot of off road tires do.

About handling, I don't think there is much difference in handling between the bias ply and radials on these Jeeps. Your not going to be driving fast enough or taking corners fast enough to see any handling issues.

I think the bumpy tires you had in the 70's may have been bias ply radial belted. They were bumpy until they warmed up. 
Life is only as good as you make it.
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 7:29am
 for 6:00-16 If they are 89 bucks each they are not American made. The Firestones and STA's are about $130 to $140 each and the Goodyears are $190 each.

I have 4 sets of Goodyears I will be taking to the MVPA convention to sell.
DrPop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrPop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 7:47am
Sorry for my ignorance, but (other than "old school" looks, which I think are very cool), is there any reason to run a NDT 31" x 6" tire like this over something newer like a radial 31x10.5?
Just an honest question - I think they look really awesome on the old Jeeps, but was wondering if they are better for any type of terrain or anything than the more modern tires?
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 10:24am
For as little as you say you will be driving it, the extra cost, IMHO, is not worth it. Stick with the NDT's for which it was originally designed. And for those rainy days, take another vehicle if you have to go out. Are the windshield wipers vacuum or electric? If you've never driven in the rain with non-supplemented vacuum wipers you are in for a surprise.Wink
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 12:46pm
I bought a set of Goodyear Eagles off of a vendor on EBAY I think they were $250.00 for all 4, the size is 235/75/16's. I don't off road....A basic Sunday ice cream type driver...the dirt on it is from my 250 foot long dirt driveway...

Everything on it is stock CJ2A...It handles like a 65 year old truck....rides like one and steers like one too...

MikeC
I am the squirrel....
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 1:51pm
May I remind all that, indeed, a Willys Jeep is classified as a "1/4 Ton Truck"?
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 5:33pm
i'm going to throw a nod in for cooper tires. Both the Discoverer AT3 And the Discoverer SST come in 215r85-16, which are very close to the 600x16.

Depending on how much you intend to drive it, a radial my be the way to go. I'm planning on  using mine as a daily driver, so I'm definitely going radial. For me, the decision will boil down to a decision between tire longevity or traction for hunting and driving out in the backcountry.

The AT3 is a 50,000 mile tire, and the SST is the best traction tire I can get locally in that size. The shop in Coeur d'Alene quoted me $713 for four of the AT3s and $832 for four SSTs. These aren't bad prices when you figure that this isn't a 'hobby truck' for me. I paid about the same for the set of AT3s on Old Green, and I've been very happy with their performance - wet or dry, snow or logging roads, they do really well.
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
LesBerg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LesBerg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 5:36pm
and I can't really speak to how the NDT and NDCC tires do. The last thing I drove with NDT tires was a deuce-and-a-half in the army back in the 90s. Thinking back, you really had to work to get one stuck out in that Georgia mud if you were a halfway decent driver. The hardest part was engaging the front axle while driving...
1948 CJ2A 157713 24" Stretch "Old Ironsides"
1st Armored Div
6th Infantry Reg
3rd Infantry Bn
Headquarters Company #161

rubigo in quo speramus - "In Rust we Trust"
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2014 at 5:41pm
With the way these Jeeps are supposed to be driven I don't think you will any difference between bias ply or radial as far as handling and tire life. As Scout said, it's a truck with straight axles.

I have been considering getting some cheap bias ply street tires for daily use to save my NDT's for the trails. I don't want a tire any bigger or wider than the NDT's so the steering will still be easy.
Life is only as good as you make it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>