Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NDTs...where can I find old tread?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfenderwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NDTs...where can I find old tread?
    Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 5:21am
As I am in the process of re doing another 2a, I am searching for 5 new NDTs. Problem is it seems that the new Firestones have a raised lug rather than being smooth. I understand that traction would likely be better, but I want the look that I am accustomed to. Coker tells me the new design is actually more authentic...
Thoughts?
Minke 'flatfenderwilly'
20 some-odd jeeps through my hands...why can't more stick?
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 12:28pm
They call the historic looking tires "Pencil Point Tread". Be careful you don't buy tires made of 100 % nylon from India. Summit sells sets of two and three  NDT's on Ebay with shipping for very decent prices. STA (Specialty Tires of America)  are made in Pennsylvania and are good tires. I've seen historic WW2 pictures of the non pencil point tires like STA's also.  If you drive on icy hard packed roads in the winter, NDT's are not what you want. Look for STA Super Traxions for that. Wallace Wade Tires in Tx. also sells the STA brands. For a bigger softer ride, look at the NDCC types. The other choice is modern 215-85 R 16's from local tire stores. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:23pm
Those raised lug Firestones are the only period correct Firestone. That extra 2/32 of tread wears away in early life and you get the look you are probably familiar with. They are good tires.

The only true 50 pitch pencil points are the Goodyear's marketed by Kelsey tire. They are available thru Kelsey, Lucas, Coker, Universal, and others. They are pricey, but the only  true pencil point with all the correct WWII and early civilian markings. Unless you plan to have your Jeep judged it may be more than you are looking for.
flatfenderwilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfenderwilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec. 2014 at 2:28pm
Thank you!
Really this unit will be just a nice, mostly accurate driver.
I would have liked the smooth tread rather than the raised nubs, but want all new skins.
The spare will be the most obvious.
Suppose I could wear off nubs, then rotate in the spare...
Appreciate the help!
Mike
20 some-odd jeeps through my hands...why can't more stick?
 Post Reply Post Reply