Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New brakes. 9" or 11"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New brakes. 9" or 11"?
    Posted: 21 July 2014 at 8:03pm
Im going to redo my complete brake system on my 48.  I will be using stock wheels and 6.50 x 16 tires.  Will a completley up to stuff 9" system be sufficient or do I really need to do the 11" upgrade?
gearwrencher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gearwrencher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 9:39pm
In my opinion if the Jeep has the original Power plant and you use  the jeep for what it was designed to do ,45 to 50 MPH back roads traveling , The stock setup is perfect. If you are going to upgrade to a V6,  up grade the brakes.  The trouble with upgrading is it never ends, just buy a new wrangler and be happy with a all aluminium engine and plastic grill.
Jerry
robplumber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robplumber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:08pm
I totally agree.
My 47 bone stock has 0 issues stopping.
I drive back roads around 40 mph.
if you want to add more power you need more to stop it, as well as numerous other upgrades
1953 cj3a modified
1947 cj2a stock and beautiful
1998 xj lifted
1999 xj stock
rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:11pm
Go with the 11s. The 9s are a pain to adjust, and even when they are adjusted right they don't work great. The 11s are much nicer to deal with, and makes stopping much safer and much less dramatic. I've had to panic stop with 9in brakes before. It is not a fun experience.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
eestes1 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:23pm
Ditto robplumber and gearwrencher.
Rick Estes
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:35pm
ditto rrrrrr9
rrrrrrrrr9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrrrrrrrr9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 10:54pm
I guess a better way to put it is 9s are fine until you have to stop in an emergency.
Erik
1948 Cj2a "Rustina"
build pictures
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 11:05pm
I know that the 9" are fine when they are adjusted properly, I think the prospect of self adjusting brakes is what appeals the most too me.  If all my drums are servicable as is I will probably stick with the 9" brakes.  If I need all new drums then I dont think it would cost much more to upgrade to the 11".  If I have read enough about it all I need to source used is the backing plates?  Everything else is available new.
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 12:55pm
I used to have the conversion site but must have purged it. From what I remember the backing plates were expensive as was all the new parts involved.

Usually, the 11" conversion was made for offroading where you may have to get on the brakes hard. I rebuilt my 9" stock brakes with all new parts, complete. They seem to work fine on the street, they just don't feel like power assisted brakes.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 3:48pm
The 11" backing plates can be sourced from $25 to $50 each; fronts are easier to find than rears.
Fronts can be used on the rear if you don't want to use a cable operated parking brake at the rear wheels.
1971 and prior CJs used transmission parking brakes. so as you can see using front backing plates on the rear is a viable no brainer.
All of the 11" shoes, cylinders, and other components can be purchased on-line and rather inexpensively and delivered with free shipping to your door. Drums are climbing in price though.

Backing plates can be sourced from 72-75 CJ Dana 30 or 44 axles; these are the most common donors as you find these axles still in aboundance; early Wagoneers and 72-73 Commandos are donor sources as well.
Dana 30 used axles removed from vehicles can be purchased with brakes for anywhere from $50 to $150 bucks; take the brakes and part out the rest to recoup some cost.
Post Office DJs, early Fords and Mercurys, the list goes on and on for brake donor vehicles.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 4:29pm
I agree with the above assessment and would like to add one thing.

Alot of the Postals are 10".

Sometimes since these aren't the 'holy grail' eleven inchers, they are more or less free for the asking.

10 inch self adjusters (or the very least, star adjusters) are an upgrade over the cam adjusters in my opinion.

I think that's the biggest thing that gets glossed over whenever this argument, uh discussion, comes up. It's not that the 9" are so inferior as brakes (when they are in good shape) ......it's that they just leave a little bit to be desired in the upkeep department.

As has been pointed out, the parts are generally in the same price range so it just makes sense as a mechanical upgrade.......after all, we're not still using mechanically operated (cable) brakes either. (Except on the e-brake of course)

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
jaksjep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaksjep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 5:48am
I did the 11" conversion right after I bought my Jeep.  My Dad's friend had the 11" conversion and he has been a Jeep guy for 50 years or so.  He recommended it, so I did it.

4 wheel drum brakes.  Man do they stop great!!  Almost too good!!
My posts are my personal opinion and are not legal advice as I am not an attorney. If you act on any of my comments you do so at your own risk.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 12:02pm
When measuring the assembly to obtain donor parts...is the drum a true 11" or the backing plate?
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
Ryan_289 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan_289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 2:21pm

Is there anywhere online that I can source the 11" backing plates? 

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 8:47pm
I hink R&P 4X4 has 11" brake kits and parts. 
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 9:24pm
I've upgraded to the self energizing 11ers ten years ago on my first early CJ5, swapped those axles over to my cj3b that I'm driving around now. It's a worth while swap, driving around in city traffic ya never know when they will save ya from purchasing a new cars backside when a idiot wants your lane.
 Still have the 9ers on my '46 2A but plan on converting to at least the later 9" brakes from a 3B easily removeable drums or if I find some 11" backing plates.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2014 at 10:04pm
I love the disks in the front of mine.  I have more stopping power than I could ever need, which is nice with unbosted brakes.
plowpusher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plowpusher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2014 at 4:55am
Jeeper50 hit the nail on the head "self energizing" is the magic system on stock cj2a brakes you have two anchor points top and bottom the shoes only use pedal pressure to stop the jeep with self energizing brake there is one anchor pin at the top as the front shoe comes out it contacts the drum and forces the rear shoe by pivoting on that one anchor pin into the drum multiplying the braking force (energy) stopping the vehicle better. Alot of drum brake cars came with 9 and 10 inch brakes a 66 SS 396 Chevelle  came with 10 inch brakes on a 3500 lb car.
when i grow up i wanna be a kid
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>