Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New owner 1946 CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New owner 1946 CJ2A
    Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 6:24pm
I am very proud to be the new owner of a 1946 CJ2A 55874\
I am continuing a tradition that my father had with his father. My dad and grandad had a 46 and a 48 in the early 70's.\
I don't know much about what I bought except it looks like a lifetime of fun and memories.\
I am looking for advise whether my jeep is a restore candidate or just a mechanically sound good looker. \
It is virtually complete as far as I can tell and mostly original as well. She is 99% rust free. \
I haven't tried to start her because it has been true winter here for the last 10 days. \
The fan and belt turn. \
Please take a look and offer any advise as far as the first steps into this wonderful engagement. \
I look forward to all of your feedback. \
\
- Daniel
Does10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Does10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 6:28pm
Congrats!

But we need pics! We love pics!

Will

'48 Willy's CJ-2A
DansCJ2A46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 6:36pm
How do I successfully upload and apply my pictures ?
After uploading them, how do you apply or post them?

-Daniel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 7:01pm
1946 CJ2A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 7:59pm
Hi Daniel,
Welcome to thecj2page.com

From what I can see, your rig looks pretty nice. 
There are all kids of different ways to go with a great machine like that.  I am a guy that loves to drive my rig so my advice would be, get it running, stopping, and lighting up properly and then drive it like you stole it.

Post up some more pictures of specific parts of your jeep, engine bay, dash, tailgate and such then the smart guys here can tell you more about what you have,

Look at some of the links in this Spotter's Guide thread on where serial #'s are located and what other stuff to look for.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 10:11pm
Serial # 55874

Thank you for the feedback?

What would be the top things to do before I try to start it?
Is there anyway I can harm it by putting in some gas, coolant, and cranking it?
Is there a special way to jump or charge a 6v battery that is ancient?
If it starts then what?
If I can't get it started?

1946 CJ2A
Anderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 11:00pm
1st thing for me was change all fluids.  Add fresh to appropriate level.  Mine was also running when I bought it but I still changed out the fluids. 
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 11:10pm
Hi Dan,
Welcome to the 2A Page.

When you turn the fan and belt, make sure the pulley at the bottom of the engine is also turning.  If the belt is slipping around this pulley, get a wrench or socket on the large nut in front of the pulley and turn the engine with the wrench.  If it turns, move forward.

I would drain the oil and inspect it.  If it looks like water or antifreeze mixed with oil,  I would move cautiously.  If you just see dirty oil, put in some fresh, then give it a go.

I don't have a 6 volt system.  Does your charger have an adjustment to change the charging voltage?

If it starts, you're already miles ahead of many here.

If it doesn't start, we will help you start the dissection process.  We will just need some symptoms first.

Good Luck!

Tim 
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb. 2015 at 11:41pm
Ok great feedback. Thank you.
I shall get her Indoors and begin checking and changing fluids.
I have an old battery charger that may have a voltage reg.
I'm very excited to try to start her.
The owners manual is soooooo cool.

-Daniel
1946 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 3:59am
  Howdy Daniel, and welcome, not only to The CJ2a Page, but to the Colorado FlatFender Club as well!
  There are several of us here from Colorado (you've already met Tim) and a couple from the Springs area, and we'd all be glad to answer any questions you have, and help out in any way possible.
  I would change the oil (if the crankshaft turns, as Tim mentioned), don't worry about the coolant for now, you can run it long enough to find out if it actually runs without it. Hopefully you can pour gas in the tank and it will make its way to the fuel pump and carb. If not, no big surprise. This is how you find out what it needs.
  What I would do:
  1: Verify that the crankshaft turns. 2 complete revolutions. If it does, drain and change the oil. Don't worry about the filter for now.
  2: Take a look at the fuel delivery system including the tank and everything from there to the carburetor. If it looks good, put some gas in the tank and see if it runs back out. You may need to rig up a temporary fuel delivery system.
  3: Slow charge that battery, then test it or have it tested. If it's dead and has been for some time, you will probably have to replace it. If it tests good, Thumbs Up, you're winning!
  4: Hook everything up, pour about a tablespoon or so of gas down the carb throat, hit the starter and see what happens. If it starts, look for oil pressure on the gauge, shut it down if none appears soon. If it has oil pressure, run it for a bit to see how it sounds and acts, let us know what you find. If it doesn't start, we'll take it from there.
  Of course, there are a lot of side-tracks that may have to be taken in this procedure, and we'll just have to take them one at a time as we come to them, if they present themselves.
  Get to it, and Have a good Time!  Bruce
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 4:47am
Wow!
What a warm welcome. I feel right at home here even though it's my first day.
I think Colorado is one of the best places on Earth and I'm excited to have a
Flat fender here. I am soaking up this advise like crazy. I plan to print the manual tomorrow
And really start to familiarize myself with the go devil and all of its companions.
I truely look forward to getting to know you guys better (Tim and Bruce)as well as meet others.
Ownership of my flat fender is going to be a great adventure and I appreciate your help as I go.

- Daniel (Colorado Springs)
1946 CJ2A
DMillet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMillet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 4:51am
You've got what looks like a great start in this hobby!  Get it running and drive it then fix the little things that need attention.  It's a great hobby (but it's not cheap!).
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 5:37am
Dan,
Just read the comments from Bruce and realized we have another Colorado guy stepping into the fray. As he mentions, there's are lots of local guys. We get together on occasion to drive them and BS about them. I've even heard rumors that you can get that Bruce guy to give your engine some special attention if needed.

Anyway, it's good to have another Colorado guy interested in saving another Willys.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2015 at 5:11pm
I'm really glad to have new friends in my new hobby.
As you may have read in my first post my dad and grandad restored a 46 and a 48 so I am going to continue that tradition. I have two young girls 5 and 1. You will probably meet them as they are my satellites.
I would love to identify exactly what I have.
I will take some good pics of the plates, under the hood and other places.
Any pics that I can take that would help?
As far as posting pics, I am only able to post one pic at a time from my (iPad) because ipad labes each pic as :image
So the server thinks they are all the same and won't allow duplicate uploads
Should I try from my iMac?
Finally some sun. I love love the snow and I've made a small fortune this winter in the snow business but jeez I'm ready for sun! Have a good weekend all.
- Daniel
1946 CJ2A
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 12:57am
Daniel, Welcome to the fray! Your Willys looks good!

I also will counsel you to get it going safely & then drive it for a while. This will help you figure out what you want to do with it.

Be aware that involving the kids in this hobby at a young age may cause them to get the "jeep sickness". There is no known cure. My son has it. His daughter is being exposed to it. I just want you to be aware of the consequences of your actions. You may even have this sickness & be totally unaware that you do. I see some symptoms in your posts. You may need to have that checked out.  

I agree that Colorado is a great state to live in! I have lived in many of the western states, & Colorado is one of the best. You have the plains in the Eastern part, the mountains in the middle, & a little desert in the west.

Again, Welcome to the club, Matt W.
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 4:12am
Welcome Dan. Saw your Willy's on Craigslist over the last couple weeks. Greg you bought it from is a nice guy. Glad to see it stay local. I am just out in Falcon if you need a hand. What area do you live in?
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Ward

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 1:47pm
Ward,

I live in the old north end. I am interested in knowing the local pros when it comes to the very technical aspects if my drivetrain. I am skilled enough to take apart, clean and reassemble but I'd like to leave the pro stuff to the pros.
Any recommendations? Engine guy, tranny and transfer guy ( I heard these are very confusing)
I plan to try and start it as soon and the weather breaks.
She didn't come with keys or a title.
I will need advice to get a title.
What's to best way to turn the ingnition over with out keys. ( have a locksmith put an ignition in??)
Thank you all for the help.
- Daniel
1946 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DansCJ2A46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2015 at 1:59pm
I went to Office Depot yesterday and printed the owners manual.
I had them double side print then laminate each page.
I also created a buff colored cover and back with my jeep info
Finally I had them spiral spine it.
It is soooo cool.
I can take it anywhere with out damaging it
Also Take notes on it with a dry erase and important info with a perm sharpie.
Hopefully it will serve as a great record to my jeep adventure.
-Daniel
1946 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>