Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Throw out bearing not good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Throw out bearing not good?
    Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 4:49am
I just finished a t90 d18 rebuild on my 48 cj2a with mostly nos usa made parts. and bought the clutch "kit" at oreilly that came with a clutch, a alignment clutch tool, a pilot bushing, and a throw out bearing.

First drive was today and when the clutch is pushed in there is a fairly quiet whirring noise that only happens with clutch pushed. I only hear it idling in the driveway probably because road noises cover it while driving.

I'm only assuming it's the throw out bearing based on the symptoms. But is it fairly common for a new throw out bearing to be noisy when new?
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 6:03am
Sorry, I just went through a silly computer fret a few nights back so I'm sort of in this mindset.
No noises from the clutch before?
Your clutch alignment should be fine.
Where did your throw out bearing come from? I have never had a new one fail, but who knows?

uncamonkey
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 6:20am
No noise before. This is a whole new clutch kit bought at local parts store Oreilly Auto parts and it came with everything. And I had a local machine shop resurface the flywheel and I installed a new ring gear
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 8:13am
Originally posted by WorkInProgress WorkInProgress wrote:

But is it fairly common for a new throw out bearing to be noisy when new?
 No, but yes, in China they all make that noise; it's so you know that you've fitted it.

I've just struggled with a left hand front axle shaft; the Spicer joint fouled the inside of the knuckle housing. When comparing the old part with the new: it looked as though the new part was fed steroids. I knew I had fitted it because I fettled it and assembled it x4  before it functioned satisfactorily.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 11:12am
It's tough to diagnose things over the internet and sometimes it's tough, even hearing it person to make an exact call but a throw out bearing noise is usually easy to figure out if it comes and goes with your use of the clutch pedal.
 I know you don't want to take it apart again.
I've never had a new throw out bearing make any whirring noises.
I don't know what to say. It may work out fine and it's just a new noise to deal with or it's going  to fail.
uncamonkey
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 1:15pm
They don't lube the new ones enough. I finger pack more grease in mine. It helps with the whirring noise. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

They don't lube the new ones enough. I finger pack more grease in mine. It helps with the whirring noise. Oilly
We seem to have the same thoughts. I pulled my first transmission and transfer case when I was 13 and you don't want to know how many years ago that was.
I always check new bearings before I install them.
I had to help a neighbor remove and install the transmission and transfer case 3 times in his Ford 1 ton truck.
Not fun. Well his dog was fun. 
uncamonkey
WorkInProgress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WorkInProgress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 2:45pm
Yea I am not pulling the Trans again for this little bit of a noise. Maybe in the future if it gets worse. I spun it a little in my hand before I installed it and didn't really like the way it felt but didn't see a way to lube it, it seemed sealed. So I just hoped for the best.

Also I haven't installed the floor cover yet so when I do I may not hear anything .doesn't mean it won't be there I just may not hear it
My toys
1948 CJ2A
1959 CJ5
1952 M100 TRAILER
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2016 at 4:28pm
My kit which I bought from Auto Zone, most likely the same as yours, did the exact same thing from the throw out bearing. Clutched it a few times and rev up the engine and the noise has not returned. Did notice a bit of grease around the bearing though. My thought is the grease needed to be distributed around the inner part of bearing. Hope your outcome is similar to mine.
willys jeep
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 3:30am
Don't forget that when the clutch pedal is all the way down that the flywheel is spinning and the transmission input shaft stops. This being said the shaft and pilot bearing are doing there hardest work so your noise could be coming from there.If the noise starts when you just push your pedal down a little but not enough to stop the input shaft then it would be the throw out bearing.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep. 2016 at 2:34pm
My thought also maybe something other than the throw out bearing. I changed my throw out bearing a couple of times and still had the noise and found out it was the starter drive gear rattling against the flywheel when I pushed the clutch peddle in. The few thousands of a inch the crankshaft moved the flywheel toward the starter was just enough to cause it to rattle. Changed the starter Bendix and the noise went away.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep. 2016 at 2:55am
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

X2!

I had to pull mine apart and pack it. They are not sealed. Your can pack them.

Hawk
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply