Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie starting a project

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzlyjiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie starting a project
    Posted: 12 Oct. 2015 at 4:28pm
Hello,
I'm new to the CJ2A world but not to jeeps.  I have some experience working on CJ5, CJ7 and YJ, i learn as i go and break a lot of things along the way.  Recently i have decided to try and repair my father in laws late 1940's (i think a 48) CJ2A.  Currently it is buried under a pile of clutter in a garage, it drove into the garage about 20 years ago and has sat garaged ever since.  For now my goal is only to get it driving again and worry about cosmetic restoration sometime down the road.  My plan is to get some functioning tires on the jeep and have it towed back to my garage where i will drain/replace all fluids, change any rubber tubing/seals and give the wiring a good once over.  What else can i expect from a project like this?  Any tips or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Pete
Night0wl View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Night0wl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2015 at 2:21am
Good luck on the project.
Things to expect?  Just about anything, really.
Brakes will no doubt be useless with the lines rusted and the wheel cylinders locked.  
Hopefully the garage is dry and there was no chance of water getting into the tranny. (That usually happens with the ones out in the field)  
The usual electric wiring issues that come from old vehicles sitting for years.  
Hard to say what you could find.  Has to be a reason he parked it there and never went back to get it.
Good luck with the project.  Get it uncovered, get it out and get working on it!
Take lots of pics before, during and after.  Lots of good knowledgeable people on this site.  
Night0wl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose" Jim Elliot
45 CJ-2A
My Project
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2015 at 7:23am
Check all driveline fluids before towing.  Might be good to remove the prop shafts.  Or use a flat bed.

Depending on fluid conditions, I'd plan to pull diff covers and transmission tower to inspect for rust and pitting.  Sounds like it has been inside, so hopefully it has prevented the transmission from filling full of rain water like others have found.

I'd also expect to do a complete brake overhaul.  Master/wheel cylinders, lines etc.

I'd roll the engine over with some sort of top oil in the cyls and no spark plugs to make sure nothing is stuck.  Then continue rolling over until oil pressure is detected, that way you know its primed.  If it doesn't prime, you may need to inject oil in to the gallery to prime.

Points will likely need to be cleaned to get spark.

Edited by pjensen641 - 14 Oct. 2015 at 7:31am
Grizzlyjiz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grizzlyjiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2015 at 2:47pm
Is there a particularly good place to buy parts from?  i have found a few places online but if one is better than the rest it would be great to know.
CJ4CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ4CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2015 at 8:10pm
One rookie to another, I've found parts on craigslist, ebay, autozone, napa, etc.  There's a pdf of napa part numbers for your CJ2A on this forum.  There's a guy on ebay that has a good variety of parts...not sure where he gets them but some are still in the original box.  That's one of the benefits of owning a CJ,  parts are readily available.  I'll post my 48 CJ2a barn find hopefully later today...all original, matching numbers, one family owned, AZ jeep.
-Cole
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct. 2015 at 8:31pm
Just about all of the vendors we use have good points and bad. Be discriminating in your choice. You’re looking for parts to be in-stock, ready for shipment, reasonable shipping costs and a strong warranty truly backed by the vendor. Shop them all before you commit to a purchase. It’s the brand names you really need to watch out for. Omix-Ada, Crown and Rugged Ridge have a reputation for offshore sourcing. Quality will suffer sometimes. A used part is good, only if it works and meets spec. In other words, it has a decent probability of lasting longer than 30 seconds. NOS parts are usually the best until it comes to any rubber product that will come in contact with Ethanol. Used electrical or hardware should be avoided.
eBay and Craigslist sellers often don’t know what they have or if it works. Get photos and ask questions. In my humble opinion, untested is unsold.
Beyond that, ask us first.
David Zemaitis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Zemaitis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2015 at 12:04am
Newbie here also just picked up a 48 cj2 for off body restoration. I'm a retired aircraft mechanic, hope  to post pics and read post 
CJ4CJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ4CJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2015 at 3:08pm
Nice...looking forward to the pic's.
1948 CJ2A
1949 CJ3A
 Post Reply Post Reply