Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NEWTON POWER MOWER

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEWTON POWER MOWER
    Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 6:00pm
Hello All,  Been awhile since I contributed here.  This last weekend I travelled from Maine to a location south of Philly chasing down a seldom seen piece of Willys Special Equipment.  My Willys Booth at the AACA Fall Show in Hershey is a gathering spot for Willys Nuts around the world, a place to swap stories (some true), talk tech stuff, explore needs, and occasionally find odd abandoned items.  A fellow came by asking if I had any interest in a Jeep sickle bar mower that had been in his storage barn many years.  Now, some of you know I've had many Willys Special Equipment items over the years.  The MAHL Jeep Loader, a Newgren Buzz Saw, a K&K side mounted Jeep Mower, Roper Post Hole Digger, and lots of PTO driven Jeep stuff just to mention a few.  If there's a page in the Willys Special Equipment Manual, I'm a player and this guy has my full attention.  He doesn't know any specifics but agrees to send pix and any data tag info he can find.  With a grandson's help, we identify the mower as a Newton Power Mower, Model J built especially for a Monroe 3 Point Hitch equipped Jeep.  The sales sheet I have is dated 10-1-48 and identifies HG&S Manufacturing Corp., Newton, Wisconsin as the builder.  He agrees to get the 400+ lb. unit out for loading when I can arrange the trip, of course we have to mix in some relative visiting along the way.  Sunday, two NJ brother in laws and I made the trip with fantastic results.  We captured the critter, almost complete, seemingly always stored showing lots of original paint, and very little wear or damage.  I staged the whole thing in NJ for exhibit at The Great Willys Picnic in June.  The only other one of these I know is a part of the NY Lady Actor who had the farm in PA and bought a CJ2A with every option.  Can't do pix right now, but stay tuned.
'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
waytay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waytay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 6:07pm
nice find

watay
Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec. 2014 at 8:02pm
OK, Now I've got my facts a little better.  That PA Jeep owned by the NY Actress was a CJ3A.  I'm sure you remember the story.  If not, here it is with the only other Newton Mower I know of:

'50 Jeepster, Two '55 Customs (Aero), '58 CJ3B, Willys Special Equipment, Literature, AL-TOY JEEPS
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec. 2014 at 1:14am
Can't wait to see the mower at the Willys Picnic!!!!!!!!!!! Very cool find.

Glennstin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glennstin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 June 2015 at 8:32pm
This Newton Power Mower was SOLD last Sunday, June 14, 2015, to a well known Jeep enthusiast.  He plans to show it as found, exhibiting much original paint and decals.  Look for it at the next Great Willys Picnic, June 12, 2016 or perhaps sooner at another East Coast Willys Event.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 12:51pm
Clap
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
 Post Reply Post Reply