Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No hub pullers in paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No hub pullers in paradise
    Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 7:57am
This is a shout out for a little help! Anybody have a rear hub puller? Or suggestion on how to make something easy that works? So I have been tracking down this grumbling sound in my driveline for nearly 5 years! Rebuilt my T-90...rebuilt the dana 18....twice....rebuilt my rear end...tried it with the E-brake drum off, turned driveshaft 180 degrees, had driveshaft balanced and checked for slop in slip splines...pretty much everything imaginable. So I live in Hawaii which is not the best place to find Willys parts but I just did happen to score a set of Cj2a axles for a decent deal on Craigslist yesterday. The problem is this new dana 41 has a frozen drum on one side. I need to pull the drum and I just can't come across a puller anywhere! I need to pull these drums and figure out what's locked up... while I'm at it I'm going to swap my 11" drums on the donor axle. Any chance someone has one that would work and would be willing to flat rate it out to zip code 96817 (Honolulu)? I will pay for shipping both ways and I will pack the return box up with enough Hawaiian chocolate, coffee and macadamia nuts to last you a few months! Please let me know, I'm getting anxious, I might just throw the new axle in and try to bust it loose in 4Lo! Aloha:)
scuba82
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:12am
For a simple homade one go to search...advance search... put in hub puller...then by...p3ferris...when posts  comes up scroll down to home made hub puller
Ed
cj2a lefty
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:23am
Hey thanks! I'll see if I can come across the materials this weekend. I made a puller for pulling my drum off the t-case as well, thing works great. thank you
scuba82
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:23am
After I made this a couple of people
 used it.  It took 8 years to find the real deal.  If you cannot make one I would send it to you with insurance becausse it would not be good to lose it.  On the home made one you can use a wheel for the bolt pattern and use 1/2" steel for the flat part.  The 2" ridged coupling is welded to the plate The bolt is a grade 8 fine thread with a nut welded inside of the coupling.  Grind the bolt to a mild point before useing

Ed
cj2a lefty
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:35am
Could I use a brake drum instead of a wheel, or double two brake drums up? (I would cut the drums up and just layer them so they would be thick enough) Then run the 1/2 inch steel over the center hole. I might even be able to mount the other puller I made for my E-brake drum in either the wheel/donor brake drum material.
scuba82
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:35am
I will let you know If I can rig something up. Do you have a picture of the one you made?
scuba82
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:37am
You only use the wheel for a bolt pattern to draw on the steel  do not cut a wheel up
The picture is on the post I told you to access on the search area.  If you cannot find it I will bring it up

Edited by p3ferris - 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:39am
Ed
cj2a lefty
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:43am
Ah, ok I see. I didn't see the pic in the post. I will look again! But yes I can imagine it in my head, it makes sense now!
scuba82
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:47am
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/pulling-brake-hubs_topic64_post206.html?KW=hub+puller#206
Go down to the post where I describe how to build one. There are pics. of it on the forum some where
here it is
scroll down for the pic with the #8 grade fine thread bolt in it

here you go

Ed
cj2a lefty
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 8:59am
Thanks! I checked it out. Got myself a little prject. Thanks again. Hopefully I can lay down done strong welds. It's been a while
scuba82
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 9:00am
Remember if you cannot  I would ship my T handled one for you.  I was there a few years back.  Stayed by the golf coarse, actually walked across it to a store.  I walked all around that area.  My daughter was stationed there.  I saw a 40's mil. designed  jeep there on the road.

Edited by p3ferris - 27 Mar. 2015 at 9:04am
Ed
cj2a lefty
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 1:43pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 3:08pm
I have one and I will be in Honolulu at the end of May.....I could bring it with me.....:)

Doubt you want to wait that long though....
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 4:44pm
I have removed a brake drum with a hammer before. It wasn't pretty when I got done. But you can bust a brake drum up with a good 20 oz+ ball pen by hitting it with the ball end. In my search for near perfect front spindles for my 66 Chevelle project (for sale) I went to 10 different junk yards and took apart maybe 20 front ends in a couple cases having to move whole cars with come a longs to get at the parts. In one case 3 hours of screwing around wasn't getting a brake drum off a right front. SO I took my big hammer and THOR'ed the crap out of the drum and broke it.

Last resort wear safety gear!
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Tom in RI View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom in RI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 10:03pm

I picked up one of these by OTC. Shop around, there are a bunch of vendors with pricing all over the map.
It's pulled a lot of caked on impossible hubs without much effort.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G2754141/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CIiO5MHFycQCFdKGfgodt1gACw

Hmmm, not sure why link isn't linking but search on OTC hub puller.

http://www.zoro.com/i/G2754141/?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&gclid=CIiO5MHFycQCFdKGfgodt1gACw

Edited by Tom in RI - 27 Mar. 2015 at 10:13pm
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2015 at 11:58pm
Most auto supply stores have them to rent, they are used on front wheel drive cars as well. The MATCO truck that stops at work carries them as well.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
scuba82 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scuba82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 6:06am
Ed, you visited Honolulu? I just moved here to Honolulu from Kauai, Hawaii just last August. Oahu has all the nice amenities of a city but I miss the country of Kauai! Much more jeep friendly and 4x4 adventures! Can't find a fun dirt road or trail to play on on this island! Very similar to finding a hub puller! I'm going to weigh out my options for either building one, buying one or borrowing one from someone this weekend. Thanks Stan, I've started to price them, looks like a solid puller, just gotta check shipping rates as they hit us hard out here. Larry, I'll probably figure it out by then but you should contact me when you are here, we can roll around in my 46! Mark, god I love a big hammer when things get tough, hammer and cut off wheels were once my tools of choice! Tom, thanks for the link, I'm going back and forth between getting craft and purchasing one. Lee, were you able to find a rental one that fit our 5x5 lug pattern? That was the issue I ran into at my local auto part store. Matco sounds like big money! lol.  
scuba82
mullen46cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mullen46cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 10:39am
Did you loosen the eccentric adjusters?  I pulled one recently that the brake shoes were frozen to the drum.  Ruined the backing plate using the HD 3 arm puller. This one had been sitting for a few years.
Bruce Mullen   Harrisville, WV       

46 CJ2A column shift SOLD 07-15
48 CJ2A with Newgren lift
55 CJ5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>