Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

no power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: no power
    Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 12:15am
My CJ2A has no power. It seems to be fine on the flats but if I hit any kind of grade it dogs out. I'm wondering if I should have been putting lead additive into the fuel. Maybe I've messed up the valves. The compression checks out good and the engine seems to be running fine except when I hit a grade. Does anyone have any other ideas what I might look for. It ran fine until I changed out the clutch so it seems that pulling the engine changed something but I'm not sure what could have changed.

Harry
1950 CJ2A
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 12:40am
I would check the timing and then check and make sure it is getting enough fuel.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 12:51am
Check your timing as stated above and make sure your advance weights are not stuck inside the distributor.
willys jeep
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 12:53am
You didn't mention exactly what your compression readings were. Your clutch could be slipping under load. How much play is in the clutch pedal? You don't need a lead additive. If all your getting is a smooth loss of power, I would suspect the clutch. Rule of thumb. When you change something out and performance changes drastically, go back and re-check your work on what you changed.
F.T.S. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F.T.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 2:23am
I agree with scoutpilot. You did nothen to change the way the engine runs. Check the clutch. Do not cause yourself more problems.

F.T.S.
F.T. Stewart
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 2:33am
it's not the clutch because it just loses RPM until it can't pull itself. It has a new carb on it so I'm not sure it's jetted right. The timing is spot on, all new distributer. It almost acts like a vacuum leak but I can't find one. I put the new carb on because of this problem with the old carb so it didn't seem to fix the problem. I don't remember what the compression was but it was close to spec on all four cylinders. 
1950 CJ2A
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 2:42am
the worst part is when I did the clutch I tore my achilles tendon so I didn't get back to working on it for over a year. So I was dealing with bad fuel and other problems. I eventually put a new carb on it because  we couldn't get it to run right. All the old fuel is out and I flushed the tank and put new fuel lines on it. This made me think that I never pulled the sending unit out so maybe the screen is plugged on the pick-up. I need to put a new sending unit on it anyway and I don't have a fuel level reading. This weekend the sending unit comes out. You guys may have lead me in the right direction just having this conversation.
1950 CJ2A

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 9:52am
Forgive an old man's dumb question. Parking Brake engaged?
jeepnut48 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepnut48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 1:01pm
I was wondering about that myself scoutpilot,not a dumb question at all,sometimes these hand brakes are forgotten,especially when they are not adjusted good!Don't ask me how I know!LOL!
cj2a51-10
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 1:35pm
Is the throttle opening all the way? Sometimes the linkage can get set up where it doesn't open the butterfly all the way.
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 2:32pm
the parking brake isn't hooked up, I need to do that when I pull the engine. When I had it apart last time I didn't have the springs and other parts. Now I have them I didn't get around to hooking it up yet. I will check the butterfly. That is easy enough to check.
1950 CJ2A
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 3:17pm
What do you mean about a screen on the fuel sending unit??? Do you have some type of non standard fuel tank and fuel delivery system?
Check fuel pressure, and fuel flow rate.
BOULDER 48 2A
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 4:14pm
hmm, I thought all fuel pick ups had a screen on them to act as a preliminary filter. I guess I'll find out when I pull the sending unit.
1950 CJ2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Harry49 Harry49 wrote:

hmm, I thought all fuel pick ups had a screen on them to act as a preliminary filter. I guess I'll find out when I pull the sending unit.
  You won't, unless you have some sort of non-standard fuel delivery set-up, as TERRY said. The normal CJ2-A setup does not have the pickup on the gauge sending unit, it's in the bottom of the tank. And that may be where your problem is.   BW

Oh, and you don't need to worry about putting lead in the fuel. These engines don't need it. If you had damaged the valves or seats, it would show up in the compression test.  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 25 Oct. 2014 at 5:19pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 5:18pm
Do you have a CJ2A or a CJ5 gas tank?
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

Is the throttle opening all the way? Sometimes the linkage can get set up where it doesn't open the butterfly all the way.

x2 check this first

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2014 at 1:04am
this willys is all stock so I'm guessing it's a 2A tank. The fuel filter isn't picking up any junk but it was when we first started flushing it. Now the filter is clean and full when the jeep is running with the hood up. I can't see it when I'm driving it.
1950 CJ2A
Harry49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2014 at 1:42am
butterfly is opening all the way
1950 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>