Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Second Gear At All

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Second Gear At All
    Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 4:43pm
Freshly rebuilt trans using old parts that looked decent. 

First and third work beautifully, but it won't go into second, even when the vehicle is sitting still and off (it will roll freely when in second). 

This is odd. Any suggestions on what could be going on, here? The shifter "feels" like it's going into gear, though not all the way. It moves probably 60 percent as far as gear 1 and 3.

-David
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 4:53pm
I had the same exact problem. My issue was a bad syncro.
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 7:07pm
Possibly broken or missing syncro springs or broken dogs in the syncro hub are not letting the syncro collar engage the second gear. This could be checked by taking the cover off the transmission and trying to manually shift the collar onto the second gear. If it binds before engagement then the syncro assembly is suspect. The replacement of the whole 2nd/3rd syncro assembly is probably the best way to go for reliability...and if I did that I would also replace the second gear if it already hasn't been done.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 10:46pm
SO. 

I took the cover off, and moved the shift collar by hand: second gear!

Now, the shift forks look fine, but the entire shaft moves fore-aft quite a bit... That's a bit odd, and likely what's causing the fork to be unable to move the collar to the right place—because the shaft just moves too far towards the back of the case.

-David
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 11:04pm
Ok, does the shift fork move back and forth on the shift rail? In that case it would be a roll pin problem. The shift tower may have to be worked on. There could be a problem with one of the poppet balls or the 2nd/3rd shift rail

The good news is that if you can put the 2nd/3rd shift collar into 2nd gear by hand then you have more or less isolated the problem to the shift tower and won't have to pull the transmission/transfer case.

Let us know what you find.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 11:23pm
Ah, so you don't think the fore-aft main shaft play could be the culprit?
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar. 2017 at 11:51pm
Whoa...I interpreted your post wrong. I thought you were talking about the 2/3 shift shaft and you were talking mainshaft.

Whole other ballgame! Yes, it could be a fore-aft mainshaft issue; however, it would be somewhat unusual for the transmission not to at least partially engage in second gear...perhaps grinding a bit and then completely out of gear.

What bothers me is the short throw when shifting to second gear...you said that it felt like only a 60% movement, but no engagement.

If it is an endplay problem that is going to require some teardown. If it is the shifter, it won't...or it could be a combination of the two.

What problem caused you to go through the transmission in the first place?

cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 12:05am
Your second paragraph exactly describes the situation. If you try to shift into second and force it, it will begin to grind and never goes in to gear. What would be the best way to remedy this?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 12:36am
Once the transfer case is mated to the transmission...and the mainshaft gear installed, I don't think the mainshaft in the transmission should move back and forth. Make sure your mainshaft gear is seated all the way against the bearing and is tightened up.

The mainshaft gear is the one that ties the transmission to the transfer case intermediate gear.

That said, you may still have an issue with too much clearance between the transmission input shaft and the mainshaft. If so, this is a sign of worn out transmission parts.

Edited by athawk11 - 27 Mar. 2017 at 12:48am
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 2:11am
"Freshly rebuilt trans using old parts that looked decent. "
Then it's not rebuilt. In a rebuild, every part that MIGHT be worn is replaced, and the unit (transmission, starter, caburetor, whatever) is returned to LIKE NEW condition, not "looked decent". What you did might be considered an "overhaul", where every part is examined and every one that shows wear or damage and could cause a problem, either now or in the near future, is replaced. In most cases such as yours, the job should be called "disassemble, clean, and reassemble", which accomplishes nothing, and in some cases, leave out the word "clean", in which case the job accomplishes even less.   
OK, rant over. For now.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 3:21am
So, I looked at the intermediate gear nut (the one that goes between the trans and t-case), and it was hand loose (I forgot to tighten it, apparently). 

So I torqued it down to 100 lb-ft. Sadly, that didn't help. :/ Also, the trans has many metal shavings in it for reasons I'm not quite sure of yet. Not sure how normal that is for a recently assembled trans.

-DT

Edited by cavalier - 27 Mar. 2017 at 3:23am
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 3:56am
Your video might help everyone:

cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 3:59am
I should mention that most of that slop is gone now that I torqued down the intermediate nut (I did drive it with that nut only half-loose, so I'm not sure what that could have screwed up).

-DT
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:15am
Also be sure the synchronizer ring isn't jamed onto the hub. It's been known to happen.
uncamonkey
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 4:25am
In your video it looks like the points of the chevrons on the teeth of the 2nd gear are worn off. They should be a pretty sharp point. They may have gotten damaged from your main shaft floating around due to the loose nut. This also might have been what caused your metal shavings. Without good pointy chevrons the collar can't grab onto the 2nd gear while it's spinning.

You could also have a little more gap between the mainshaft and the input shaft. Look at this drawing, part number 43. If this spacer is worn you might need to put a shim or two behind it to move the mainshaft forward so the collar doesn't have to move so far to the rear to fully engage the gear.

If you look at this short video where I was showing an issue with my synchros, you can see the sharp points on the chevrons of my brand new 2nd gear.

I hope some more experienced heads will chime in. This is what I see could be your problem, but I have only had two transmissions apart.

Good luck.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 5:02am
The shifter isn't able to grab second gear when it's stationary either, and yet I can shove it on by hand.

-David
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 5:34am
Originally posted by cavalier cavalier wrote:

The shifter isn't able to grab second gear when it's stationary either, and yet I can shove it on by hand.

-David

Right, it makes sense in my mind. The point on the chevron is gone, likely some of the inner teeth or splines in the collar have also been ground off so now the teeth in the collar can't reach the teeth on the gear with the limited throw of the shift fork.

A new 2nd gear, probably a new collar, and maybe a shim behind the spacer I mentioned above to move the mainshaft, and the 2nd gear that rides on,it forward so it is within reach of the throw limits on the shift fork.

I always put a disclaimer on my comments due to my limited experience, but if those chevrons are not pointed, it's like trying put your jeep on a trailer without a ramp. It just bangs into the bumper and never goes up. Add a little length and slope to your trailer with a ramp and it slips right in there. Add a little slope and length to your gear with a pointy chevron and it slides right on.

If more experienced folks think I'm pointing down the wrong road, please speak up.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
cavalier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cavalier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar. 2017 at 6:09am
Is the shift fork not meant to push the collar on all the way? Just enough to engage the sharp tips, and it's meant to slide itself on from there?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>