Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2015 - Event Date: 24 July 2015 - 26 July 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Northern Colorado Mountain Run 2015
    Posted: 12 May 2015 at 4:33am
  Let's go see some Colorado High Country! We'll have a great time with good folks, see some scenery that's only found in Colorado, maybe see some wildlife, and challenge our jeep's ability on the trails just a bit, along with our driving skills.
  I'm setting a little bit later date than in the past, still trying to get far enough along so that the Forest Service can get their gates open, so I can show you folks the trails I like so well.
  Same campsite as in the past, Cherokee Park State Wildlife Area, Upper Unit. Northwest of Fort Collins. I'll post directions a little later for those who need help finding the place.
  Friday, the 24th, we can do a couple of "recon" runs, to check the gates and trail conditions so that the main run on Saturday will be the best it can be. Friday night, good time around the campfire.
  Saturday, as in the past, we will leave camp at around 0900 so that late arrivals can make it. We'll be on the trail all day Saturday, so bring lunch. Saturday night, Rock Stew for all!
  Sunday morning we will have a nice camp-community breakfast, then those that need to can load up and head out, while those who want to can take a short ride before loading up.
  This date is still flexible, but needs to be fixed ASAP. If anyone has a problem with this date and would like to attend, let me know SOON! I know we may not be able to please everybody, but I want to make this possible for the most.
  Anyone having questions (and there had better be some!) ask them here and I'll answer here, so all can benefit from them.

BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! LET'S GO JEEPIN!!
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 12:22am
I'm in! I'll talk it up at the Black Hills Meet for you! John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2015 at 5:51am
  Well, as I've always said in the past, "if I'm the only one who shows up, I'm gonna have a good time anyway!" Those who don't come are those who miss a good time!
  Oilleaker1 is coming, and maybe Stude-a-Willys. I'd like to have more, but a small group can be a good thing too.
  I've managed to get the entire week preceding this weekend off, so I'll be up there scouting, probably as early as Monday, July 20th.  Oily has expressed an interest in coming out earlier in the week as well, so I wanted to let anyone who might be thinking of coming out know that we will be in the woods all week. I will still save the best for Saturday, this will give me a chance to scout out the routes with company, and decide what will actually be the best, for Saturday.
  Cmon, guys, I know there are FlatFenders in Colorado, and drivers who want to enjoy some good times on the trails and around the campfire!

"BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! BOOGITY!! LET'S GO JEEPIN!!"             bw

P8106jr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P8106jr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 2:52am
Bruce, Wish I live a lot closer!  Sorry I cant make it this year buddy!
Jamie
Jamie Powers

Houston TX

1963 CJ3

Bantam T3-C Year unknown

www.haflatfenders.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2015 at 5:21am
I think Grumpy from Casper is in too! We'll for sure get a few more Colorado guys I would think.  John
Jeff C View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 7:29am
Hi Bruce
I cant spent the week,  but I will come up July 24th - 26th

Split Personality
Jeff C

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 12:32pm
Good deal Jeff! I'll save a HBR for you. John
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2015 at 6:31pm
Glad to have you, Jeff!
Next time I get home, I'll post directions for anyone that may need them.   BW

willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 1:31pm

Bruce,

One of these times I am going to make it.......................................
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
stude-a-willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stude-a-willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 7:48pm
Bruce:
I have the time off. I have a slow-tow route planned for 24-26.
Looking forward to the trip.
Ready to help out if you need anything.
Thank you.
Studebaker re-powered CJ2a
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2015 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by stude-a-willys stude-a-willys wrote:

Bruce:
I have the time off. I have a slow-tow route planned for 24-26.
Looking forward to the trip.
Ready to help out if you need anything.
Thank you.

Honestly, guys, I'll try to post directions tonight, if I get off at a decent time and don't fall asleep at supper.
   BW

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2015 at 4:38am
Here are directions to the campsite, for those who have not been there before:

As near as I can narrow it down, the gate into Cherokee Park State Wildlife Area, Upper Unit, off of Larimer County Road 80C, is at: 105*34'24"W ; 40*55'40"N. The actual campsite is at: 105*34'20"W ; 40*55'31"N.
If no one beats us to this site we'll have plenty of room and a latrine. If someone does occupy it before us, we'll be in the general vicinity. This has been a good campsite for us in the past with a central location and good access to trails in the area. Other than the "primitive" latrine, there are no facilities, this is "primitive" camping. It is accessible by motor home, although it involves about 21 miles of not-too-well-maintained dirt road. Just don't get in a hurry, it'll be alright. BW

Edit: Here's directions for those who don't do the GPS/Map & Compass thing too well:
Take Hwy 287 north out of Ft. Collins, past Ted's Place ( where hwy 14 branches off to the west), continue north past the Owl Canyon Road, past the Colorado Lien Co. quarry, and past the old Forks Hotel at Livermore (actually, the OLD hotel is no longer there, it burned & was replaced). Continue north on 287 just a couple of more miles to the Cherokee Park Road, just before mile marker 370. Turn left, (west) on road 80C (the "C" is important). After about 18 miles, the road will fork, stay left, on 80C, about four more miles, .4 miles past the "22" marker, and turn in at the "Cherokee Park State Wildlife Area, Upper Unit" on the left. Thru a gate & over a cattle-guard. Just inside the gate is a fork, stay left for about a quarter mile to the campground on the right.

I've got to apologize, I didn't post much info on the trip this year. This Spring has been really strange for this part of the country, and has caused things to be really different at work and around the house too. But then, I've never been much for planning, scheduling, etc. Just DO it! Two Weeks!!   BW

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 12:24am
Bruce,
If I have this correct the main ride will be on Saturday the 25th, leaving on Sunday. Do you have a suggestion on where to gas up so no one is left stranded??Confused
I actually haven't looked at the "calander" that the boss keeps to see if I am free those days!Unhappy
BOULDER 48 2A
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 4:50am
  Terry, (and others) there's no gas or other services nearby. The closest is probably at Livermore or Red Feather Lakes. We won't be going near either one.  I fill my jeep and a couple of Jerry cans on the way up. If you start the day with a full tank you should be fine. We are kind of isolated and primitive on this one, bring along whatever you're going to need. Oh, and that might include plenty of mosquito repellent. They're usually not bad, but they can be, and it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
  I'd like to make this event longer, and maybe next year, if there's interest, we can make it several days. In that case, we might make a trip to Red Feather Lakes on one of the days.
   Oilleaker is planning on arriving on Thursday, and I haven't heard anyone say that they're planning on coming up earlier in the week, so I probably will not go up there until Wednesday or Thursday. I'd love to be there on Monday, but I just don't have my stuff ready to go.

It's getting close! I'm excited!  BW

Edited by Bruce W - 19 July 2015 at 4:56am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 11:27am
Grumpy is hooking up with me and bringing his Bright Yellow 3B along on Thursday. He won't need headlights, but definately sun glasses. LOL For bugs, a trick M38 Mike taught us was to bring along a kerosene lantern with citronella oil Kiki Torch fuel in it. Works darn good. Light and bug stuff all in one. See you all soon.  John
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2015 at 11:37pm
   Well, I made it home in good shape, I hope everyone else is doing as well. I was closer to home than anyone else.
  Those of you who couldn't make it missed a great time! I had a fabulous time and everyone else told me that they did too. Now, I've got about 3-1/2 gallons of Rock Stew that I'll have to divvy up and freeze. Everyone said that it was very good too. While I was putting it together, I kept getting reminded, "Bruce, there's only six of us." I said , "Yes, I know, but I don't know how to make any less!"Smile
  We saw some great trails, a little bit of scenery, some mule deer and moose. Not to mention the "mini-bears" (squirrels and chipmunks) that entertained us in camp. Oh, yeah, Carol had a hummingbird feeder out, I think we enjoyed the hummingbirds as much as they enjoyed the feeder.
  We never got lost, only a little confused from time to time.Embarrassed
  I want to express my deepest appreciation and thanks to those who came and had a great time:
  Oilleaker1, who can now tell you about the differences between a CJ2-A and a MB/GPW on the trail,Unhappy and of course, Carol, who kept spoiling our meal plans by feeding us all. Hey! I ain't complainin'!Big smile
  Split Personality, who tried so hard to keep his jeep clean, and then finally said, "Oh what the he!!" and drove it thru one of the best mud-holes you ever did see!
  Grumpy, whose newly- painted CJ3B was so bright that there was no trouble knowing if he was coming along behind. Why they call him "Grumpy", I don't know, he was smiling from ear-to-ear most of the time.
   And last but certainly not least, Stude-a-Willys, who was ready to keep going when everyone else had left for home.Clap He slept two nights on a piece of plywood that was left in the campsite, with no more cover than a bivvy-sack. A man after my own heart!
  Again, THANK YOU!! to all, and to those who missed it - Maybe next year!   BW

Edited by Bruce W - 26 July 2015 at 11:40pm

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 1:50am
Sounds like a great time. Did anyone take any pics?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2015 at 2:06am
Bruce, Well done! I had a great time. We jeeped for two days. Put 76 miles on Bugsey the '43 GPW. I found out just how critical those taller gears and transfercase effect your "crawling " ability.  We hit it especially hard Saturday and were literally crawling the mountains for 9 hours!!!!!!!!! I'm talking trails not roads. They were tougher than Tin Cups's back side was.  Again, this bunch just kept going and smiling. I want to just say: Bruce, Jeff, Keith, Steven, I have very fond memories of you all. Oh, I took home my favorite one----------and will always keep her---------Carol. You guys need one like her----------the best.  Jpet, many shots were taken. I'm sure Jeff C, and Rudycon will post some up for you.  Wish you could have brought your old friend GW. He would have been in good company.  This was a good clean ball busting Jeep adventure. No One broke, and we all have a good Jeep massage and bonding together. My mind will be rolling all this over now for a few days.  Thanks Guys! John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>