Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not sure if its true?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not sure if its true?
    Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 7:49pm
[/URL]
    My wife found this today, it's pretty interesting, but I don't know how factual it is.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 8:10pm
I'm calling it.................................NOT TRUE! BOULDERDASH! HOGWASH! A STORY CONCOCTED BY CONSPIRACY THEORISTS!

eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 8:19pm
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 9:28pm
No Comment !
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 9:37pm
The first production automobile to drive in Antarctica was a VW Beatle

Two other autos were in Antarctica before the VW but neither were able to handle the conditions a

1908 Arrol-Johnston which of course never made the other continents

and a

1927 Austin 7

Searching I actually don't find any mention of Willys Jeeps being used in Antarctica especially during WWII when the 7 slot grill came to be,

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 9:40pm
Mark, I think that was meant as a 'humor break......but I could be wrong, or have a "misguided opinion".LOL

Seems like it may have been concocted by one of those younger generation jeepers that know nothing about jeep history.Big smile

Edited by rocnroll - 03 Mar. 2015 at 9:44pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 9:59pm
..............and the name "Jeep" is actually an adaption of the term the US Army gave to their new 1/4 ton troop carrier........you see the term "General Purpose" was shortened to "GP" hence the slight slur in the pronunciation to get J....E....E...P.....you see?SleepyThumbs Up
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 10:06pm
I think it was Mark Twain who said, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
Oldwillys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwillys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 10:11pm
Whaaaaat,you mean it's not true,it has to be true,it was on pinterest......!   
russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 10:40pm
What's the actual lineage on that? Hug

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 10:41pm
Has to be the Model T Ford?  As I understand it from 1908 to 1927 over 15 million T's were produced.  The only vehicle to break this production record is the VW bug.  From 1938 until 2003 over 21 million were built.  Anyway, ole Henry Ford, being the businessman he was, had ole Lizzy all over the world.  You can take that to the bank.  Still like the Jeep better!

1947 CJ2a #155307
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

..............and the name "Jeep" is actually an adaption of the term the US Army gave to their new 1/4 ton troop carrier........you see the term "General <u style="font-weight: bold;">Purpose" was shortened to "GP" hence the slight slur in the pronunciation to get J....E....E...P.....you see?SleepyThumbs Up

G-Government Contract, P-80 inch wheelbase. Not general purpose, it's a Ford thing!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar. 2015 at 11:17pm
I just wanted to set the history right. How else will the children learn anything. I mean just because they lied to us about the Coyote and the Road Runner we should allow that to be passed along should we?

Road Runner top speed around 28mph

Coyote top speed close to 40mph

COYOTE catches ROAD RUNNER and eats it 2 min into the first cartoon. End of Road Runner.

THEY LIED
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 1:15am
So much misinformation on this board......

No sure about all models but I know the '69 Hemi Roadrunner was faster than that and they are routinely building 1,000 HP Coyotes these days so this most assuredly is misinformation.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 2:56am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Searching I actually don't find any mention of Willys Jeeps being used in Antarctica especially during WWII when the 7 slot grill came to be,

I think it's about time I told this story.

One of my dad's distributors is an extremely wealthy man. He's done just about every type of business venture from atv's to ships. They were talking about my Willys project and he said he knew of some brand new WWII Jeeps. I don't have extreme details, but this is how it goes: He was on a ship in the Arctic Circle, I don't know if they were ice breaking or shipping products. Anyways, they were out on this ship in the middle of nowhere and they spotted some crates out in the distance on land. The distributor and some crew members got off to check them out. They pried one of the crates open...

Behold. Brand new. In the crate. WWII Jeep. Exactly the type of thing we read about in old newspapers for $50. But there wasn't just one, there was quite a bunch (twenty? fifty? hundred?). Of course they couldn't get the Jeeps onto the ship, so they enjoyed the site and heart-breakingly had to leave them behind. Nobody knows the exact location of these Jeeps up there, or why they're there. Maybe the military was setting up a base? Or had to do an emergency weight drop? Who knows. But they're up there waiting to be rediscovered. I imagine you'd have to take a helicopter to get there and be able to grab some, costing millions. It's so intriguing and beautiful there's still crated Jeeps out there... I hope I live to see the day where somebody brings them home.
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 3:29am
Now that was a story that dreams are made of.
eat,sleep,jeep

63owner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 1:30pm
I suggest we pool our resources and head up there after them. Everyone who contributes $500,000 gets one. I'll volunteer to hold the money until we get enough contributors to make the arrangements.
46Willard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 46Willard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar. 2015 at 5:17pm
We had better hurry before the polar ice melts due to global warming, and we loose them forever!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>