Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil & filter for hurricane engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil & filter for hurricane engine
    Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 1:36am
Does the hurricane engine use 30W ND oil and does it use the same oil filter as the go devil engine?

Thanks
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 2:49am
First Question: That's entirely up to you. Use whatever you think is best. The Hurricane is not picky. I use 30w, but NOT ND. Several will tell you to use Rotella 15-40 Diesel oil. You will have to decide for yourself.
Second Question: If nothing has been changed by bubba in 60 years, yes.     BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 3:12am
Bruce W, thanks for the feed back.  I remember when I started fixing my CJ-3a there was discussion about yellow metal in the engines and differentials.  I'm pretty sure the consensus was use 30W ND in the go devil engines and GL-1 in the differentials.

I recently purchased two more jeeps with hurricane engines in them.  Just wanted to make sure I started out on the right page. So I'll use the 30W HD and the same filter as the go devil.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 3:37am
  No problem.
I don't think there's anything in HD oil that will harm yellow metals.  GL-1 is needed in the transmission and transfer case, because the EP additives in Hypoid gear oils will attack the yellow metals. EP additives are needed in the diff's because of the hypoid gears, but there are no yellow metals in the axles.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 4:41am
Some F heads used a spin on bypass style filter. In the 60's and into the 70's
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
scoutpilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 9:16am
Hey Dodjh. I use Rotella T, 10W30. The white bottle. Silver bottle is synthetic. Filter - NAPA 1010. Big smile
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 12:41pm
Bruce W, Mark W, & scoutpilot, thank you for your advice on the type of oil and filter for the hurricane engine.

It's good to hear from each of you again...brings back good memories!  Thumbs Up
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2015 at 10:44pm
For motor oil - use what you like. I am using Kendal 30 wt ND with zinc additives for break in, then will switch to a diesel or synthetic oil. This is a NEW engine. I've used synthetics since they were introduced and I am a believer.

For gear oil, there are GL-4 synthetics that are safe for soft (yellow) metals - like Redline 75-90 GL-4. I know there is endless arguments about what you dump in the tranny and tease. My Jeep mechanic recommends GL-4, so that's what I am using. Hypoid type oils are fine in the pumpkins.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 2:36am
Mike S, I've never used any of the synthetic oils but maybe I should consider trying them.

The engines I'm working with haven't been cranked for a number of years.  I did crank one yesterday and now in the process of changing plugs, oil and filter, distributor cap, points and condenser plus spark plug wires.

Thank you for your input.

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 4:11am
Make sure the oil you use has a high Zinc content to protect your cam and tappets.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 9:48am
Originally posted by Mark W. Mark W. wrote:

Make sure the oil you use has a high Zinc content to protect your cam and tappets.
Thumbs Up X2
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 7:47pm
Mark W and scoutpilot, I have a quart of Rislone that has zinc treatment in it.  Should I put a quart in at each oil change?

scoutpilot, the oil element that was in the jeep was a Napa 1271.  It has a wider hole in the middle than the 1010.

I had a mess trying to place the rubber gasket so it would seal the oil inside the canister. It wasn't catching the canister ridge...so after 3 trys I put RV sealant in the lid and when sticky placed the rubber gasket inside it.

In the meantime I had to keep stretching the rubber gasket so it would ride the outer most position in the lid.  Probably lost nearly a half quart before I managed to get it right.

I remember a discussion about zinc additive a few years ago and don't remember the final outcome.

Thank each of you for bringing it to my attention! Thumbs Up

Edited by dodjh - 29 Mar. 2015 at 7:57pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2015 at 8:22pm
The 1010 does have a snug fit on the center tube. On purpose in order to seal better. Takes a little effort to get it in. Have you tried a 1010?
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2015 at 1:57am
I tried the 1010 but the center hole was too small to fit over the center tube. There were about 4 different ones that it called for but the 1271 fit.

Do I need to add zinc treatment to each oil change or can I find an oil that has zinc in it like Rotella T?

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scoutpilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2015 at 9:47am
There were many different old filter canisters manufactured during that time. It is confusing without the labels. I've been using Rotella T for years and have not used any zinc additives as it is in sufficient quantity in the formula. You could add more, but why?
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2015 at 2:15pm
That is good enough for me...I will stick to the Rotella T and forget the Zinc additive.  Thumbs Up
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2015 at 3:31pm
I'll go with ScoutPilot on this if the oil your using has a high zinc content then there is no reason to add any to it. In fact I have seen some write up that advise strongly against TOO MUCH Zinc. The idea is to have enough Zinc to help the tappets rotate and to help lubricate the lobs on the cam. I have not heard about any other area in the engine its advantageous for or requires it.

I know almost nothing about the Rotella T oil but I have read where quite a number of people have been very happy with it.

My local NAPA carries a Lucus Oil as well as another brand of High Zinc content oil designed for Older engines. I will most likely run with one of them as the price is not bad at all for the 5 qt jugs they come in.

Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2015 at 5:05pm
Sounds good...I have been using Lucas additive and Marvel Mystery oil additive.  The Lucas will sure quieten
any tappet noise!

I will add the Marvel M. or the Lucas at oil changes.

These old motors (hurricane) I'm working with know, I want to make sure they fire off with whats needed to nurse them back to life.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Post Reply Post Reply