Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

oil pump mounting bolt torque spec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: oil pump mounting bolt torque spec
    Posted: 25 Oct. 2014 at 7:21pm
Does anyone know what the torque specs are for mounting the oil pump on the L head. I've searched but cant find anything. Ive put off getting a service manual as this site has answered most all of my questions. Thanks
Craig

Edited by blademaker - 25 Oct. 2014 at 7:40pm
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct. 2014 at 11:36pm
The Willys Service Standards booklet says 30-35 pounds and the pump's cover plate to the pump's body is 7-10 pounds.. R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 2:24am

Thanks so much. Searched standard for a grade 8.. 5/16 18 and was going to torque dry around 30. Ive got a new Melling pump # M-53 which has a 1/4 shorter housing than my old pump...? I preassembled pump and dizzy...new bolts...and turned over by hand... ok ....Keeping my fingers crossed when I'll put fire to her....Thanks again

Craig
JeepRoger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepRoger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 2:36am
Craig… I'd like to suggest that on a pump change, that you pull the plugs and crank it over 5 seconds, let starter cool, then another 5 seconds followed by cool, to get oil up through pump and into oil passages before you fire it up. …R
Roger in California
'46 CJ2A 38503
'47 CJ2A 142084
'46 T3C Bantam trailer
blademaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blademaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 2:56am
Thanks. Motor is fresh...oil pump primed and galleys will be filled...Rotella T1... with Lucas break in additive. Hope to get motor and tranny set in frame this weekend. Start up hopefully soon...Thanks    Craig
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2014 at 10:37am
To first start a fresh engine, you should immerse the oil pump in a can of your oil, turn it until air is expelled. Re-install. Then with a hand pump oil can back fill the oil gallery in your block either through the oil line to the filter assembly or oil pressure line until full. Take plugs out. Spin the engine over until you see oil pressure on the gauge. You risk frying your new bearings if you don't. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply