Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oilslinger inside mainshaft bearing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oilslinger inside mainshaft bearing
    Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 5:35pm
What is the function of the oil slinger?How should it be turned? Outer recess In or out?
Why does not main shaft SKF bearing include a seal on the outside? One dollar more in price?
Omly seal in front of SKF bering is a felt seal, does it work?

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
1965 Mahoghany Snipe FIN 14018
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 7:02pm
Sten,
Are you asking about the oil collector and front bearing on the T90?

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 7:22pm
I think he may be asking about the front bearing washer (#7 in the service manual diagram)on the input shaft ....

But I can't remember which way it went...sorry....

porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 9:05pm
I am talking about the saucer shaped steel part that is on the main shaft behind the roller bearing. Part nr 61.

Edited by porsskar - 28 Oct. 2014 at 9:08pm
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 9:52pm
Sten,
I'm confused too.  I don't see a PN 61 in the transmission listing.  Are we looking at two different listings?

1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 9:56pm
It's # 7 I think he is refering to. . john
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct. 2014 at 10:22pm
Is this what you mean? This is the mainshaft or do you mean the main drive gear? Pick a number from the illustration above so we're all on the same page.

Edited by rocketeer - 28 Oct. 2014 at 10:26pm
bretto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bretto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 5:29am
That's a T84 shaft, this might confuse matters.
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 7:07am
Part 7 in fig 208 abvove.
Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 3:39pm
Part #7 is not on the mainshaft, it's on the input gear, and the bearing next to it is not a roller bearing but a ball bearing. And I believe, if you put it against the bearing, not on the shaft, you'll find that if placed one way it will rub on the bearing outer race. It goes the other way.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Part #7 is not on the mainshaft, it's on the input gear, and the bearing next to it is not a roller bearing but a ball bearing. And I believe, if you put it against the bearing, not on the shaft, you'll find that if placed one way it will rub on the bearing outer race. It goes the other way.   BW

That's why I asked for a number from the illustration. People have a tendency to call something off the top of their head and all it does is confuse the issue.

Originally posted by bretto bretto wrote:

That's a T84 shaft, this might confuse matters.

Not really, it was used to illustrate a mainshaft which I figured might prompt the OP to identify the actual part he was asking about.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 4:48pm
The felt seal was a dead give away in his first post.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 6:10pm
Well....no body has answered the orignal questions and I would be keen to know as well...

Sten, the original bearing allows for oil to flow through it and then return via a drilled hole in the front of the casing.  So that's why it has no seals.

Its very important to refit the nose cone gasket correctly so you don't block off the return oil hole.

Re: The felt seal, I have just ordered a new one from Novaks, original has been there 60 plus years and still seems quite intact, but its cheap and it will get replaced anyway... 

Hope this helps a bit..

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

The felt seal was a dead give away in his first post.

Jim

It's better not to make assumptions though and the assumption there was that whatever shaft it was was being, or had been, assembled correctly to begin with and that the felt seal was being ID'd correctly.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 6:57pm
Adrian,  Bruce W answered it. It goes on where the dished in area goes against the inner race of the bearing or like he said it will rub on the outer race.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
porsskar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote porsskar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 7:00pm
Thank you Adrian and all others,

Sorry, I used the incorrect word for part nr 8 , I used main shaft , should be main drive gear 640428.
I also used the wrong part number 61 for washer ( that was from the previous illustration/drawing of transmission)  but  same part anyway, 640893.

Still confused with the bearing 640781 (SKF 6208) , why does it not have a seal built in on its outside ( front side)? Is the felt seal a good solution? Just trying to avoid making the same mistake twice.
Today I got a shipment from Walcks with the 640781 bearing in question and it is not sealed, the shipment  also include a felt washer. I do not blame the supplier, they must have a good reason, but my first rebuild failed... oil on my garage floor.

Has anyone a success story in this area?

Sten

Sten from Finland
1947 CJ2A serial 94118
1949 8NAN Ford tractor
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 8:12pm
Sten,
There was no such thing as a sealed bearing back in the 1930's & 40's when these transmissions were built.

Lots of folks, including me, have opted to go with a sealed bearing on the front and plug up the return drain hole. There have been several discussions on this.

The part number for the sealed bearing is 
SKF 6208 2RSNRJEM
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct. 2014 at 9:34pm
I just heard back from Novak and they said they can't supply the felt seal, so I too am going to change to a sealed bearing...just pop the inner seal out and let the oil do the job from one side.

Sten, the sealed version of the bearing is available, you just need to ask when you order it, I have an open NSK one now on the shelf and the sealed version in the post.

Sorry if I missed the comment on the oil spinner......need to put the glasses back on, still in denial that my eyes are not what they used to beConfused.

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>