Forum Home Forum Home > Clubs, Shows and Get together listings. > Shows and get togethers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ouray Colorado group trail ride week 7-25-15 - Event Date: 25 July 2015 - 01 Aug. 2015

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: Ouray Colorado group trail ride week 7-25-15
    Posted: 23 Nov. 2014 at 8:18am
Our Colorado divide summer ride outing was so much fun it has already made reservations to get together and do it again next summer...and as word has spread the group has grown. Next summer we are going to do the famous trails in the Ouray area. These are said to be some of the best in the country. If you want to view some videos of them do a you tube search on things like black bear pass. Alpine loop, and Ouray jeep trails. Anyone else interested in joining us for some ultimate colorado jeep trails feel free to contact me for details and if you decide you want to join us ill add you to our groups facebook page where we all communicate about the trip and discuss what all we want to do while out there etc. We have adopted the unofficial name of. The over the hill off road adventure group. Next summers dates are arrive in Ouray to the reserved town house and cabin on 7-25-15 and leave on 8-1-15
So many projects and so little time.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 4:52pm
... so you are doing black bear pass?  What are the details on the cabin?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sonoblast77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonoblast77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 5:26pm
Yeah what jpet said. X2.
jeepboyusa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepboyusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec. 2014 at 7:42pm
Man...sounds fun
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2014 at 6:34am
Yes. Black bear pass is on the agenda, probably do it towards the end of the trip as sort of a climax event. We kinda like to start off with the easier trails and work up so some of the others with minimal experience can get the feel of things. We will have a variety of vehicles in or group again from flatties to more modern TJs and a few quads and a couple zuki samurias. As for the cabin, the one i have rented is actualy a very nice modern 3 level town house at the foot of the mountains in Ouray. With it comes access to the Hot springs pool and the hotels breakfast buffet bar for just a few dollars more per day. What i do is i rent the cabin which has 3 seperate bedrooms and bathrooms plus the main living room area and full kitchen and then i sub rent out the extra beds and couches to others who want to join the adventure. This year our group grew some so another part of out group did the same thing with another cabin juust outside of town, and some are taking their RVs and toy haulers and staying in the oray campground. We all just gather at probably our townhouse since its the biggest in the eves after the trail ride for the day to shoot the breeze and enjoy a few cold ones, or soaking in the hot springs pool to limber up from the days ride. Space in the house is about $50 a night. Beds are about all gone, but space for air mattresses or cots or couches are still avail and probably for a lower price...after all its really just a warm place to shower and sleep, as we are on the trails during the day light hours.
There are some amazing and famous trails in the Ouray area. Lots of them on you tube if your interested in seeing a bit of whats in store next summer. Search things like Black bear pass, alpine loop, engineer pass, or even just Ouray jeep trails. Not sure how many of them we will travel, but as many as we can is the plan. One day about mid week there is talk of resting up some and driving down to durango and riding the durango and silverton steam train. Those who dont want to do that can do whatever they choose such as sight seeing shopping or hitting the trails. There are some ---the wives---who do not want to do the "scary" trails like black bear so they will probably go sightseeing those days. LOL Blackk bear pass is not a difficult trail at all really, but to make a mistake in some areas would come with a pretty dire outcome. Another thing to search up is bridal veil falls. Thats on Black bear pass also. Oh, and there was still some plain motel rooms and a couple smaller cabins avail as of last month, but they were filling up fast so any one wanting to join us had probably better be for making plans and getting reservations made asap whether it be with me in our house or in one of the others. Wilderness camping in the national forests is always avail and free if yo prefer, and im sure we can squeeze ya in for shower use if wanted. Its certain to be a jeep adventure of a lifetime. I also should note, that we do travel on some fairly rough trails, but we are not planning to do any of the rock crawling type trails as damaging our toys is not our desire. I like to be challenged some by having to pay attention to the line im using, but tearing up wilbur is not in the plans so be prepared to have to put your flatty to a test, but not to the point of being stupid and tearing things up. Also, those joining us would need to have rigs in good dependable shape with good steering and brakes and tires etc. I would recommend having some form of a top with you as weather at these elevations can and will change rapidly and encountering cold rains and sleet and maybe even snow will be very likely..as well as a lot of perfect sunny weather, so come prepared. Wilbur is nearly stock other than slightly bigger tires and maybe a inch of lift so heavily modified rigs is not required for where we will be going. We travel at a slow and leisurely pace with frequent stops to enjoy the incredible scenery and take pics. We might even stop here and there for some gold panning if the notion strikes us or to wet a fish hook briefly during a leg stretch break.. Its a family oriented adventure so bring your wives and kids if they desire. Also, if you decide you want to join us, let me know and if you have facebook i will add you to our groups private page where we have a lot of fun discussing the trip and what not as well as share videos of the trails and discuss things we want to see and do while there...and in general just get to know each other better before arriving there. Any other questions that i have not covered feel free to ask here or PM me with them if you prefer.
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2014 at 6:51am
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Alpine+Loop+Engineer+Pass&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=5752EFFE39AD12DB04495752EFFE39AD12DB0449

http://www.ouraycolorado.com/ouray-activities/Jeeping.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blz2pzrdzao
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec. 2014 at 9:23pm
Hi Kansascat.
 Been following your threads since you came onsite, and enjoy your stories. We spent a couple weeks in Colorado back in 2010.  One week in Beuna Vista, and one in Ouray doing some jeeping.  I picked up a couple of trail books, one for each area.  They are titled  "Colorado Trails". They have different regions like central region and southwest region, Bacroads & 4 wheel drive trails, and they include topo maps.  They are from "adler publishing.com". About $25.00 each. I sure used them!! They acctualy have them for a bunch of states!
binthere
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2014 at 6:45am
Originally posted by binthere binthere wrote:

Hi Kansascat.
 Been following your threads since you came onsite, and enjoy your stories. We spent a couple weeks in Colorado back in 2010.  One week in Beuna Vista, and one in Ouray doing some jeeping.  I picked up a couple of trail books, one for each area.  They are titled  "Colorado Trails". They have different regions like central region and southwest region, Bacroads & 4 wheel drive trails, and they include topo maps.  They are from "adler publishing.com". About $25.00 each. I sure used them!! They acctualy have them for a bunch of states!
binthere

Binthere, sounds like you hit two of the best trail areas in that one vacation outting. Do you recall what trails you covered while in Ouray? Did ya do black bear pass? was you in a flatty or newer model jeep? 2010? Sounds like your about past due to return, come join us in 2015.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2014 at 9:39pm
We went down with my son and the 4wheel stampeeders club from Calgary. I had finished my 3B in 2009, but my son talked me into taking the 84 CJ7 that we had at the time. My son has an old CJ5 rock crawler he built, so rode with him on a couple trips. In Beuna Vista, I rode with the kid up to Iron Chest, which has a lot of large rocks on the first part. In the afternoon, we went to Grizzly Lake, which has a rock wall after the creek, and then across a long gravel scree with about 1100 foot slide to the bottom!  The other trip that we took the 7 on, was the same Tin-cup and Cottonwood that you guy's did. 
 Down in Ouray, we started to do the Bear creek road, but the CJ7 started flooding real bad, just short of the top of the hill off the million dollar highway which made the wife real happy because she didn't want to do that road anyway!! We then did the Ophir pass, then to some lake, I think Atlin, then from Telluride around the north side of the airstrip to the west and, and north over to the east, coming to the highway north of Ouray. 
  From there, the wife and I went down to Mesa-Verde, Chaco Canyon, Bisti Wilderness, Monument Valley, and met up with the club and did another short run at Moab!  Was an interesting month that fall to say the least!
  The wife and had been to a rally back in 1968, put on by the Denver Mile High Jeep Club, and did some decent driving over an old 14000' decommissioned railroad pass along with a few other trail's and of course the "Coors Brewery Tour".
 Can't make any rallies this year, as we have a granddaughter's wedding to attend in the Maritimes at the end of June and then tour around for a week or two!!  It's a tough life this retirement!!  Thumbs Up

chuck

kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2014 at 3:55pm
Binthere, sounds like it was a great month of adventure and exploring. In another life i would loved to have been a hiker, but since i had perthiese disease when i was a young kid and had my left hip reconstructed i cant be that active as far as excessive walking without a lot of pain so the atvs and now old jeeps are my only way of quenching my exploration thirst. I hope to live long enough to get to "retire" but being self employed means that prob wont happen unless my son decides to take over running the business when hes older and thus able to support us and the jeeps. LOL We are heading to the gulf with the 3A christmas day for a week + of exploring the southern coastal area with it. Starting on galveston island and going south to near mexico if all goes well for new years eve then head bac north to galv and load up and come home. My wife loves the ocean like i love the mountains so this is our compromise to offset the colorado trips. Some sun and sand will be nice break from winter by then i expect, and some fellow jeep friends are planning to go along too so that will be fun. Neither of us have ever gotten to run on beaches before, but there are many miles of beach open to vehicle traffic down there and some are pretty distant from population and natural in form so some exploring will get to be done as well. My wife is Canadian, and her family is scattered all over up there so one day we will be taking wilbur up that way to explore. her brother lives in southern BC in the okenagen..sp? Very pretty area im told so might be a fun area to look around at thru a willys windshield. Catch ya later.
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2014 at 11:10pm
Okanagan--all A's.  U.S. side spell it with an O  Okanagon.  We are 25 miles east of Vernon, at the north end of the Okanagan, in Cherryville.
chuck

Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec. 2014 at 11:54pm
Kansas, be careful when dealing with this Binthere guy! He's dangerous, and a heavy drinker. LOL LOL But OK in my book-----Oilleaker
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
kansascat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kansascat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 1:37pm
Yeah, that dont come as o muuch of a surprise....A I Sid i married one of them there Canucks so i know what a rowdy bunch they are LOL They do like their :antifreeze:
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 10:35pm
Yeah Kansascat,  This coming from a man who goes through HBR's  (hot buttered rums) like gravy on potatoes!!!  LOL  Big smile
chuck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec. 2014 at 10:54pm
Took you a while Chuckie! LOL, now, Kansas admits he thinks Canadians are hard to keep up with, so, I'm not all bad. Now back to the Colorado ride, we are drifting off topic. John
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec. 2014 at 10:43pm
OK  OK  But we were still in Colorado!!
chuck

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2014 at 9:05pm
So I was just looking at some videos of Black Bear Pass, and decided to look it up on google maps.  
Clearly marked in several places on the  google maps route "Black Bear Pass Summit, Closed Jan-Dec."

Think they might have gotten this wrong. I k now there is a lot of snow up there, but that's a pretty narrow window of opportunity to try this road. Wink

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec. 2014 at 10:05pm
Probably just one run at midnight! Now that would be fun with a full moon huh? John
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>