Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Research & History
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Paint, Michigan Yellow

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paint, Michigan Yellow
    Posted: 16 Jan. 2014 at 2:56pm
After checking 'Search', where I found postings relative to this color, but; none which appeared to have
found, or used a formula which was correct. There is a formula here on our CJ2A Page listing a formula, but;
checking with our local Automotive Paint Store, they advise that, that formula could not be used with today's methods.

So I would like to open a discussion again on this color, Michigan Yellow. I checked Sean's, 'CJ2A Data & Info'
and found several Jeeps posted with the Michigan Yellow color, but none that helped.

Randy had posted that Beachwood Canvas advertises Michigan Yellow. I checked their web-site and they do list it on their web-site. However; a formula would be so much better so that a small amount could be mixed and to be able to compare to a chip or something.

Thanks, regor

Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2014 at 2:50am
Hi Roger,

If worse comes to worse, I could start down the trail again and work to get a new batch
made up for you with a new formula.... as we did when working to get the CORRECT Autumn
Yellow color for the wheels on the early 46 Jeeps.  Are you starting on another Jeep restoration?
Ahhhh, that's right, you're going to do that one for the Agri equipment, right?

Happy Trails from PA!

Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2014 at 12:57pm
That may well be what will be necessary Dave, since there have been no replies to this topic. This was Sam's suggestion as well. It had occurred that with so many Jeeps in this forum that surely someone has come up with the formula for the correct Michigan Yellow.

No more restorations for me. I am helping BearGuilch Bill look for this issue. He is working at getting his 48 painted. My 46 is headed to the Palm Springs, Calif. McCormick Auction in February with a hefty reserve.

hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2014 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by regor regor wrote:

since there have been no replies to this topic.  It had occurred that with so many Jeeps in this forum that surely someone has come up with the formula for the correct Michigan Yellow.

HERE IS THE DULUX NUMBER  93-54751

HERE IS THE CARQUEST PAINT NUMBER THAT I USED WHEN I DID A 46

96705A    IT WAS SPECTRA-CHECKED AND SPOT ON

YOU NEED ANY MORE PAINT NUMBERS IF I HAVE DONE THE COLOR I GOT THE NEW UP TOO DATE PAINT CODE...JUST GOT FIESTA YELLOW YESTERDAY Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2014 at 12:41pm
GREAT PAUL! I SENT YOUR POST OVER TO BEAR GULCH. HE FOUND A SPOT OF YELLOW YESTERDAY THAT HE TOOK TO A PAINT STORE, THEY SHOT IT AND IT CAME BACK "MICHIGAN YELLOW'. I'M GOING OVER TO YUMA TOMORROW AND WANT TO SEE HOW IT LOOKS. THEY MADE A SAMPLE FOR HIM.

Paint questions come up all the time. It would help if Sam or someone would set up a place to post when
paint formulas are found that appear to be authentic. Of course the thread should read, use at your own risk.

Thanks!

Edited by regor - 21 Jan. 2014 at 12:43pm

samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan. 2014 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by regor regor wrote:

. . . . Paint questions come up all the time. It would help if Sam or someone would set up a place to post when paint formulas are found that appear to be authentic. . . .
Thanks!
It was done some time ago! Paint 
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2014 at 12:02pm
Yep! It's there as you say Sam. I have seen so many threads on paint colors and it would be great if we all would add to this great thread with corrections and additions. Recently you and I were discussing this by mail and I found a formula for Michigan Yellow (which I can't find at the moment) which I checked with our local vehicle paint store, only to find that the formula was not doable anymore, at least there. If Bear Gulch nails this Michigan Yellow formula we will add to the 'Paint' category.

Joe Frazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Frazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2014 at 4:15pm
While we are talking about it, what numbers did you find Hillbilly for Fiesta Yellow?

Also, by chance, any news on those F-head 4 cyl. blocks you mentioned?
Collecting any/all Kaiser/Frazer/JEEP literature/handouts/toys etc.
46 CJ2A
50 Jeepster
51 Pick-up
54 Willys Aero Hardtop
54 Kaiser Willys Darrin
56 Wagon
56 Factory Proto-type FC 170 Truck
hillbilly21 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hillbilly21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2014 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Joe Frazer Joe Frazer wrote:

While we are talking about it, what numbers did you find Hillbilly for Fiesta Yellow?

Also, by chance, any news on those F-head 4 cyl. blocks you mentioned?

DUPONT NUMBERS FOR FIESTA I USED --93-70930  NUMBER FROM CARQUEST ON CAN WAS YS-392

GENTLEMAN THAT HAS THE MOTORS DELIVERS HEATING OIL..DUE TO THE WEATHER WE HAVE HAD DOWN HERE HE IS SWAMPED & VERY BUSY..NOW THAT I AM RETIRED I AM SURE HIM & I WILL CROSS PATHS HERE THIS WEEK IN NOT THIS WEEKEND...I WILL PM YOU WHEN I GOT A PRICE FOR YOU Wink
1946 CJ2a POW-MIA
51 M38 ORIGINAL
PRES NCFFC
www.eastcoastwillys.org
hillbillystoys.phanfare.co
ralf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ralf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan. 2014 at 2:27am
If you want to get close to the original color find the inside of a tool box cover.  I had a Luzon Red tool box cover that the under side was unmolested.  My buddy at the paint shop took a little polishing compound to it and in a few seconds he had it down to what he felt was as close to the original color as one could get.  But, even then, it could have changed chemically to not be spot on.
1947 CJ2A
1948 CJ2A
1953 Ford NAA Golden Jubilee Tractor

1941 J-3 Cub
1957 Farmall Cub Low Boy tractor
1942 Clarktor WW2 tug
Hornet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb. 2014 at 12:51am
Good day!

Interesting thread for me as I am about to paint my 46 in Michigan Yellow in a couple months.  It was its original color. The firewall, fenders and the underside are original yellow as far as I can tell.  It is like a faded yellow. The underside was full of grease when I got it (many years ago) so it was fairly well preserved. 

Michigan Yellow under body

I was planing on getting it matched-up at the paint shop (and try the codes above). I'll post up the results when I do it early this spring. I want to paint it but leave a part of it (firewall maybe) in original color.

Chris
Chris
1946 CJ-2A
1952 M38
1961 CJ3B
Bear Gulch Bill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Gulch Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb. 2014 at 5:41pm

A sincere thank you to Regor,Joe Frazer Hillbilly21, Sam, Ralf & Hornet For your help on "Michigan Yellow" I'm still struggling for a match. I have a very good shiny area 1/1/2" X 16" on fender welt area & was able to buff/ scrape off part of tailgate. Color closely resembles "Hornets" 46 . So far I've had a "test" spray can mixed to Diamont stock #24932 (code for 48) Resembles, but no cigar. Today, I'll have CARQUEST mix up a can of #96705a per Hillbilly21's post & see how it matches up.

Some items I would appreciate comments on :

1. The" 4 wheel drive" on tailgate is Luzon Red-- Anybody else found this ? Is it common ?

2. Yesterday, I did some sanding & checking on original wheels and found Luzon Red w/ a 1/4" Michigan Yellow stripe.( under a white repaint) Finding this color combo is contrary to anything I've read on wheel colors. Anybody find this in their endeavors ?

3 Did factory highlite the Willys on hood,windshield &tailgate in 48 ?

4 If Ralf reads this, do you have the formula for Luzon Red ?

5 Correct seat cushion colors for 48? I'm lucky enough to have pans & springs. Who has the best cushions ?

Thanks for any comments!! Bill

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Gulch Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2014 at 8:42pm
.Some tinkering with a modern day formula did the trick. Can't distinguish from original.Also will probably have to color match or spectrograph to do it again. have an extra quart for touch up or repairs. Will shoot some color cards if anybody wants a sample. Thanks for the help!  Bill
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2014 at 1:25am
I bought my 1947 #146428 from two brothers who were 18 and 9 years old when their Father bought the Jeep new on December 22, 1947. The body is Michigan Yellow. The vinyl that remains on the seats is gray. The wheels are badly rusted but I can still make out a yellow stripe on all four wheels.   I asked the men if the wheels were red and they both said that the wheels were not red, but maroon. I have seen pictures of a restored Jeep with this color scheme on the Kaiser Willys site. On the right hand side of the page, click on "Photo Gallery" then "CJ2A Photos" then "Al Appel". I think it belongs to a fellow in Lexington, KY. I also saw a reference to this combination in a post on this site about a restoration in Pennsylvania. I know that this color combination is not on the official list, but it appears that it was used because more than one person has evidence that it did exist.
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2014 at 1:37am
Ok. I went back and found the post on this site that I was referring to. I don't know how to send you straight to it with a click, but look under General Discussion, member WJR4 on 02 December, 2011, Topic: How rare is this color combo?

Bill

Here:  How rare is this color combo?

Edited by samcj2a - 01 Mar. 2014 at 2:32am
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bear Gulch Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2014 at 3:20pm

Thank You for posting. Indeed, it appears they did some of these color schemes in 47-48 Mine is 155316. I was told it never left the apple orchard it resided on & all wheels same color ( & tailgate lettering ) so I'm pretty confident on originality. Will see if Regor or Oilleaker will post pics for dummy me. ( Sam, thanks for making it easy for me to find!!) My wheels had a red repaint & a white repaint, but no problem getting to original ( thin black primer under Luzon ) Back of wheels unmolested Luzon.

Glad now that I decided to stay original colors-- I wavered a bit on Michigan Yellow, but just couldn't pull the trigger on deviating on all original metal.

Diver Down James & Hornet: Bear with me-- Will send you samples in a couple of weeks. Body's across the border in Mexico getting "shot"--- I got lazy on this one  Thanks   Bill

regor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote regor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2014 at 5:05pm
I'm posting these pictures for Bear Guilch Bill. He will be back to comment later today.

WillyBill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WillyBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2014 at 2:59am
Another post pertaining to this color combination is under Tech Questions and Answers, member Bildo on 23 April, 2012, topic : Wheel / stripe color help. Sorry I don't know how to do the quick link thing. Please help me out again Sam.

That yellow on Bear Gulch Bill's tub looks good. The Michan yellow still left on mine in the hidden areas looks a lot paler than that.

Bill
1947 CJ2A #146428
1947 CJ2A #103567
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>