Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > CJ2A Page Member Created Parts
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Park light / Signal light Module

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Park light / Signal light Module
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2014 at 8:15pm
I guess I'm looking at opinions / comments.

Ive been looking at the issue of single filament park lights. Early mostly. I dont want to hack up the
housings. I want them original. However I also want them, to operate as signal lights.
I also dont want to hack up my harness, I want subtle mods and a board under the dash (hidden), to run the turn signal portion. I know there would be 1 wire required from the junction block back to light switch.

So specs would be
1) add 1 wire from junction block to light switch. 
2) keep original park light housings with single contact 
3) operate as running light/signal light - Low/High

If I build this would anyone else be interested in one?
I think it will be easier to make this work with LED, but might be compatible with incandescent.

I think one of you did this with relays, but I think I would be making this a solid state/PCB version.

Let me know what you think...
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2014 at 4:21pm
Here's a picture of single contact bulb. Very bright.

cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2014 at 5:33pm
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr. 2015 at 9:31pm
FYI, I bought 12v lights from Beechwood Canvas and removed inards from them and put into 6v OE housing. The 6v system will work the 12v bulbs but a little dim. I had ordered a new harness with turn signal option when I did the restore.

Edited by johnnybravo - 06 Apr. 2015 at 9:33pm
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
mike in oregon View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2015 at 2:07pm
I used a signal stat 800 turn signal switch which does that for you just like the tail/brake lights. but I like your Idea.
MIKE IN OREGON
President of Oregon Flat Fender Club.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oregon-Flat-Fender-Club/222864787838570

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2015 at 6:12pm
I would like to see more when you get it functional.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr. 2015 at 7:22pm
Just to be clear on what is happening here....

This is for the front parking lights.... They will remain SINGLE element 1 wire bulbs. (1156 style)
Yes, I too will use a signal stat switch on the column, but that just sends the signal to a 2 element bulb. (1157)

This module will take the "split" signal/running light function from a 2 element bulb and send it to
a single element bulb.

The early housings have no room for a second wire, plus the later grill mounted lights have no room for the larger 1157 style bulbs. This should solve both problems. This will allow the grill and housings in both scenarios to stay original, using single element bulbs.

Some progress pictures to follow of my "new" restored housings...

*** Edit - attach images. ***

No Camera trickery here, single wire, (1156 style bulb) using 220 ohm resistor setting.
(I have a movie too but no web hosting for it.)

Bright                                                                                       Dim

Edited by cdn2a - 16 Apr. 2015 at 9:05pm
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2015 at 2:29am
MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
cdn2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cdn2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr. 2015 at 4:58pm
Mike,

Perhaps I'm missing something... I assume that setup will simply "blink" the front light on and off, turn signal wise, from what I see it can not in that configuration function as a park/running light as well.
(please correct me if I'm wrong)

What I am doing, to the front is like the rear lights in that setup, have the signal light go on and off PLUS stay on at half brightness as a park/running light. (with original housing and bulb, as you can see from the pictures it works.)

So, when I turn on the signal, it will blink on/off with headlights off, OR go from dim to bright with headlights/park on headlight switch on.

As a matter of fact I'm looking at using the 905 switch so I can also have 4 way/hazard flashers too... 

I hope that clears it up...
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike in oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr. 2015 at 1:08pm

cdn2a   You are correct. Mine stay at the same brightness. They are on all the time when the head / park lights are on then when the turn signals are on they blink on and off (not dim and bright).  When the park/head lights are off they are off until you trun on the turn signals and then they flash on and off. These have the flasher capability also. 

MIKE IN OREGON

46 CJ2A 38007
46 CJ2A 79863
BANTAM T3-C 25314
 Post Reply Post Reply