Forum Home Forum Home > Buying, Selling or Trading > Auction Listings / Classified Ads/ Jeeps for Sale Sightings!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Porter and Reed Aluminum Top

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Porter and Reed Aluminum Top
    Posted: 05 July 2014 at 12:04am
I want to scream.  I keep finding these hard tops within striking distance of me, but as far as I can tell, they will not fit my M38.  They are all made for 2a's.  This one is beautiful and inexpensive.

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/pts/4551762609.html

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 2:59am
52 M38 Question Wonder if this ever sold? I called the number and left a message asking were it is and if it sold but never got an answer. Top looks kind of neat and would maybe fit my 2a for winter use.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 12:15pm
I'm thinking it is still around.  On this site the tops last for months without selling and this is a perfect audiance, so I'm thinking it will be even harder to move something like this with a more general audiance.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 1:07pm
So where is this town located - if you ever heard of it, and are you going to Midwest Reunion maybe?
You can tell what I'm thinking already ...
    1945 CJ2a 11495
SlowPocono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SlowPocono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 8:05pm
Binghamton is in New York.

I'm concerned about the condition of that passenger side door.
It might not be too easy to fix that bent window frame.

BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2014 at 8:34pm
I have honestly though about half doors just to keep from getting
splash, if it didn't fit up to well I'd just cut the window frame off
the top of the doors and work on a latch, would probably even remove
the rear panel most of the time. Maybe you could fix the rear section
to pop on and off depend on on the weather, just like the doors. It
would be a long way for me to have to go - won't even go to the
reunion because its a overnighter.

I really like the lines on the top overall, the front looks like it
could overhang the windshield like a visor, nice rolls and good
looking seams & rivets. If the front didn't overhang far enough it
could easily be used to help support the top of the windshield frame.
Puts me in mind of an old milk truck/delivery wagon cab. My only
problem would be then trying to see over the windshield frame at
stoplights like I do now.

Google says 10 hrs each way, almost 700 miles. Anyone coming through Indianapolis?
    1945 CJ2a 11495
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 10:06am
Originally posted by 52 M38 52 M38 wrote:

I want to scream.  I keep finding these hard tops within striking distance of me, but as far as I can tell, they will not fit my M38.  They are all made for 2a's.  This one is beautiful and inexpensive.

http://binghamton.craigslist.org/pts/4551762609.html

Did not realize that much difference (past cosmetic) between 2a & M38. So they don't interchange? 
Are there that many differences between the two bodies? I had a chance to buy a 38 from a guy with an arctic top and thought about getting it , taking off the top for my 2a then seek off the jeep to get my money back but he wanted to much because he had so much modification with a V-6 he tried to stick in there and the dash he tried to fit up. When I think about it he had probably just tried to set the 38 body on a newer chassis but I really didn't look much past the I was after. It looked & fit very GI so was a good match but wasn't sure what would happen if I tried to put on my 2a seasonally.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 12:37pm
There are a lot of diffences, many are just body details or electrical system components.  The problem lies with the windshield frames, they are different height and the top edge is a different shape.  You can use what ever winshield frame you need to to make it fit.  I did not want to have to change the windshield to make a top fit so I am stuck with searching for a top for an M38, CJ3a, or CJ3B.  I am not sure about the door opening if they are different at all.    Not the easiest find and unfortunately when one finds a top most of the sellers only have the top and don't know what model it came off of or try and tout that it will fit all of the willys which is not possible.
52 M38 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 52 M38 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2014 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by SlowPocono SlowPocono wrote:

I'm concerned about the condition of that passenger side door.
It might not be too easy to fix that bent window frame.

I would think it is fixable. The window is up so it hasn't crushed in too far, and it is aluminum so it will be fairly ductile.  Even if it had to be replaced I'm sure a piece could be readily fabricated and spliced in since it is a straight piece.
BENSH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BENSH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug. 2014 at 4:39am
I wouldn't change my windshield either, good to know. Wish it were a lot closer to me.
    1945 CJ2a 11495
 Post Reply Post Reply