Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Preparations for driving

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Preparations for driving
    Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 5:06pm
This is the state of progress; I'm preparing to drive it clear of the work area. I'm eager to get the body under cover so I that can start repairing the floor. I just need something to sit on; I threw the non Willys' seats out to avoid them cluttering the work area.....silly me! Also need to move the temporary dash closer so that the ignition switch is handy..... just in case I need to kill the engine.

SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 6:37pm
I love that Dexion dashboard...don't see that very often anymore but the auto parts store I worked in as a youngster used the Dexion as parts shelving and I had to put a lot of it together occasionally.

Looks like you are coming together nicely in the engine compartment.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

I love that Dexion dashboard...don't see that very often anymore but the auto parts store I worked in as a youngster used the Dexion as parts shelving and I had to put a lot of it together occasionally.

Looks like you are coming together nicely in the engine compartment.

Its all up and running and every thing shifts and rotates with no odd noises or other concerns.It starts as well as my daily runner. I just hope that when it hits the blacktop it performs as well.
Dexion has an interesting history............on Wikipedia.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 7:30pm
I like the transfer case shift indicator, myself Smile... like when Kevin Bacon puts the sticky note "NO" over the panel switch LOL

Looking great, glad to hear it's purring Thumbs Up
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

I like the transfer case shift indicator, myself Smile... like when Kevin Bacon puts the sticky note "NO" over the panel switch LOL

It took me some time to workout what you were referring to!!! Thanks, with 4 sticks I was never going to remember.
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan. 2017 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by montymech montymech wrote:

Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

It took me some time to workout what you were referring to!!! Thanks, with 4 sticks I was never going to remember.

Sorry...obscure "Apollo 13" reference Embarrassed
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 5:42am
Interesting transfer case shift lever knobs.  Oh, and what kind of starter is that??  Oh darn, it's a 12-volt, isn't it?
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2017 at 6:39am
[QUOTE=Ol' Unreliable]Interesting transfer case shift lever knobs.  Oh, and what kind of starter is that??  Oh darn, it's a 12-volt, isn't it?
[/QUOTE

Red knobs were with it when it arrived from CA and the starter motor was supplied by Snap. By the time the starter arrived in UK, it cost as much as the rest of the vehicle and took 10 weeks to travel!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 6:33am
Ten weeks? Transported by turtle or something? 
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan. 2017 at 5:25pm
[QUOTE=Ol' Unreliable]Ten weeks? Transported by turtle or something? 
[/QUOTE

Carefully handled by USPS, tracked from Salt Lake City through any number of centers on route; sat in some for  days at a time. A big order from Morris 4X4  took only five days using  UPS.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 6:03am
Sometimes the USPS can "deliver" miracles.  Sometimes they deliver the opposite.  You never know which will happen until it does.
 Post Reply Post Reply