Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PTO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PTO
    Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 2:37am
What are all of the components that make up a rear PTO, from the Trans back; and how many types of PTO's were made for a 2a? Of course pictures speak a 1000 words.

Thanks Dave
Dave
44 Willys MB
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2017 at 3:24am
PTO on back of transfer case, can be single stick rear, single stick front (for winch)  Dual stick front and rear, etc.   These where made by Ramsey, Koenig, spicer, and others like Rhino.

Drive shaft for rear.

Rear gear box.

90 degree drum pulley.

Then you get into Front winches, Rear winches and there shafts etc.  plus other accessories, three point hitches, drills, compressors, post hole diggers etc.   

'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 1:23am
There's also a reinforcing piece that goes inside the rear cross member, a PTO shaft guard, and a decal that goes on the gearbox. Use correct grade bolts to hang it all together.

Q
3-48s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3-48s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 2:58am
This is a WILLYS rear PTO from a 1946 CJ2A.
As Seth said, first there is an engagement box that mounts to the transfer case to the front left with the shift lever that comes up between the seats. This is a Spicer 18H.
Next is the drive shaft that is seen in the back of the photo.
Last is the rear drive gearbox that the components that you would drive are mounted to.
Quentin mentioned the reinforcing channel piece that goes inside the rear cross member. I believe that was a factory installed reinforcement that was sometimes overlooked when the PTOs were dealer installed. A desirable and smart addition was the PTO shaft guard or shield that Q also mentioned. This helped avoid coming in contact with the shaft that protrudes from the rear of the gear box when running or not.

The PTO setup in the 1st photo happens to need a new home so if someone is looking feel free to PM me & I can give you the details and additional photos.

Edited by 3-48s - 12 Mar. 2017 at 3:20am
1945 CJ2A #10536
1948 CJ2A #176528 "Elmer"
1948 CJ2A #155970 "Gray Mule"
1948 CJ2A #155365 "Old Yeller" (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 6147 (GONE)
BANTAM T3C # 30856
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 6:54pm
Here is a link to the different PTO types,

http://48cj2a.com/PTOs.htm

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
cjbilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cjbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar. 2017 at 10:56pm
What is the slotted tab on top of the shield used for?

1984 CJ7
1946 CJ2A- Supersonic motor
1948 CJ2A- Ramsey DP-1 shifter,PTO,front Ramsey MX200-R winch, Newgren lift
1955 Sears Trailer
1955 CJ5- PTO/belt drive,farm weight
1954 CJ3B- trencher,front blade
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 12:41am
The shield slotted tab hooked up with the covers on the implement shaft to prevent the shield from spinning. Gary
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar. 2017 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Lee (MN) Lee (MN) wrote:

Here is a link to the different PTO types,

http://48cj2a.com/PTOs.htm

Lee
                                                                                                                Lee MN thanks for the post. That's the first time I've seen a pic of all the different types of PTO's. Did they make winch's to mount to the rear PTO? Thanks Joe wadoyado
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 1:38am
Yes both Ramsey and Koenig had rear mount winches.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
gostby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gostby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 2:07am
Any pictures of these rear mounted winches? Better yet, are there any for sale? Gary
gostby
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 2:44am
It's the same winch. You can swap the gearbox to the other side, at least you can do that a Koenig.
An old friend had front and rear PTO winches on his 2A.
No pictures so I suppose it didn't exist.
uncamonkey
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2017 at 3:10am
I've got a rear mounted Ramsey that has its own PTO shaft. It's made from 1/2" square stock coming off the output of a Spicer PTO engagement . Both ends have 1/2" swivel connectors like those used on a 1/2" socket for u-joints, although one ihas female drive on bothe ends. Looks Original. The winch has a 4000lb rating. Kevin
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 4:50am
When I was asking about a winch for the rear, I had in mind one I could hook up to the shaft on the rear gear box I have (spicer 18) not the PTO with the extra drive shaft, I think what Sandusky is referring to. Thanks Joe
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 1:04pm
Mine has a Spicer 18 drive from that is a 1/2" swivel then a long 1/2" square pice of stock that goes into another 1/2" swivel / u joint. It all looks pretty light duty, but it's what was on the 2A when I bought the winch. Joe send me your email and ill take send some P ics.   Kevin
Qcanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Qcanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar. 2017 at 11:00pm
1/2 inch? Are you sure? That seems pretty underwhelming.. I'd like to see the pictures....
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar. 2017 at 10:53pm
Are the rear mounted drive shafts interchangeable between manufacturers like Dana/Spicer and Ramsey? I'm specifically referring to how they attach to the output on controller.

Edited by HCAT - 21 Mar. 2017 at 10:55pm
Dave
44 Willys MB
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 2:26am
Originally posted by HCAT HCAT wrote:

Are the rear mounted drive shafts interchangeable between manufacturers like Dana/Spicer and Ramsey? I'm specifically referring to how they attach to the output on controller.

Most likely not, the Willys PTO shaft is a piece of tubing like 3" in diameter, most Ramsey and Koenig winches used 3/4" round stock. I have seen a Koehing rear setup, it had a yoke on the back of the model 18 PTO control and a 3/4" round shaft back to the winch with another u joint, simple and easy to make.

Lee
               LEE
49 2A
67 M715
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:02pm
(Not to high-jack this thread) Can someone get the measurement from the edge of the transfer case to the end of the mating flange on the Spicer 18H?

My reason for asking is to determine if it the same distance as the Ramsey DP units or was it necessary to replace the factory Spicer rear PTO drive shaft when you switch to a Ramsey front and rear DP unit (allowing you to run a front and rear winch or other PTO driven equipment).

I will measure a Ramsey DP unit tonight and post the measurement.

Edited by Stev - 22 Mar. 2017 at 3:04pm
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>