Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rear leaf spring shift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear leaf spring shift
    Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:04pm
I was driving in the woods on non-level ground when my rear leaf springs shifted (to drivers direction) and slipped/slid off their perch.

So far I've not been able to put them back on.  It looks like the rear needs to shift 2 to 3" in the passenger direction to place them back on their perch.

I have jacked the body up, the leaf spring, and the frame trying to put the spings back on.

What am I not doing right?

Thanks`

Edited by dodjh - 23 May 2015 at 9:07pm
"COURAGE IS BEING SCARED TO DEATH
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 9:54pm
Do you mean that the rear axle shifted?  The spring pack should have a small bolt in the center that holds the leaves together.  The head of this bolt should fit into a hole in the spring perch on the axle.  I think the factory bolts are actually a rounded head screw, slotted for a straight blade screwdriver.  I usually make my own spring pack bolts by grinding the head of a grade 5 bolt of proper length.  It's either a 1/4" or 5/16" bolt, I think.

I would raise the back of the jeep and support the frame on jackstands.  I would then loosen the u-bolts holding the axle to the springs to the point that I could check things out.

It's possible that your driveshaft is somehow binding and preventing proper axle movement as you try to reposition it.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
teardrop camper: https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?f=141&t=201740
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 10:45pm
I don't think the axle has shifted...just the spring pack from where it attaches to the frame.

I will jack up the rear of the jeep and put jack stands under it to try and determine what has happened.

Sure hope the rear drive shaft isn't in a bind.

Thanks
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2015 at 11:20pm
I think you will find it much easier if you remove the axle then remove spring bolts from the rear spring hangars. Remove rear drive shaft at the differential. Locate the axle and align spring center bolts with axle spring mounts. Install U bolts but do not do final torque yet. Lower frame/body and re-install spring bolts. Check alignment and tighten everything up. 
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 12:51am
Confused...Okay, I will try that but so far all my efforts have failed.
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 1:42am
A photo would be priceless.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:31pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:46pm
you should replace that main spring its broke.
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:49pm
Plus......
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 4:58pm

Edited by dodjh - 24 May 2015 at 6:12pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 5:33pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 6:47pm
New springs, bushings, and seals needed. Not a good idea to replace one with out replacing the other side at the same time.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:26pm
Mike S, should I replace the rear shocks as well?

Thanks
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 7:31pm
Mike S...any idea of cost between having a spring shop make them or buying from Walcks or Peter DeBella?

-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:08pm
You can buy a replacement spring pack - I think they run about $100 each, shipped.  I've never had a spring shop make them so I don't know that cost.  The replacement spring packs will come with a rubber bushing on one end that you'll need to remove - Ron Fitzpatrick suggests using a chisel to open the spring eye just slightly, and the rubber bushing should slide out.  I would replace both springs.

Us WWII jeep guys try to rebuild old spring packs because they look a little different than the post-war springs, but I would just get the replacements for a CJ-2A.
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
dodjh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodjh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 9:41pm
Thanks tamnian for the feed back.  If I remove the rubber bushing, what do I use for a bushing?

Edited by dodjh - 24 May 2015 at 9:43pm
-BUT SADDLING UP ANYWAY"
               JOHN WAYNE

tamnalan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamnalan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:56pm
Welcome!  It's a bronze bushing.  if you get the springs from Walcks or Peter - just call and tell them what you're doing - they will sell the bushings too.   The bushings are cheap... a couple of bucks each.   The greaseable bolt fastening the spring's front eye to the frame is likely worn - I would order them too.  The rear c-shackles are probably ok but the parts that thread the shackles into the spring eyes and the frame may be worn.  I would take it all apart before you call, so you'll know what you need.

The front springs are probably in a similar state... I hate to ask...  "just empty every pocket"...
Alan Johnson
1942 MB - "TBD"
1943 MB - "Lt Bob"
1950 cj3a
M-100 x2
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 10:57pm
The rubber bushing should be pressed out of the replacement spring eye. Then You insert the correct bronze bushing, which SCREWS into the spring holder over the C shackle. Look at the FSM (manual) for details - it is not hard to do, but there is a procedure you need to follow.

S, when you order the spring packs be sure to order the bronze bushings and seals as well. Be aware that the rear PS (I think it's the rear PS) bushing is probably reverse threaded. So when inserted you tighten it counter clockwise. It's a Jeep thing, don't ask me why.

Replace shocks if needed. If the shocks are OK, re-use them.

Edited by Mike S - 24 May 2015 at 11:01pm
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>