Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main leaking
    Posted: 22 June 2015 at 11:45pm
Hey Guys
I know this subject has been beating with a dead stick but I need some help. The rear main on my 1948 c2ja with a motor number of J202199 is leaking pretty good again. Seems like about every 2 years it starts leaking and I have done several things to stop the problem. The oil is dripping from between the engine plate and bell housing I have check the PVC system several times for blockage and have never found any. I had the crank turned and had new main and rod bearings and the surface for the seal cleaned up and all the surfaces looked really good before we put it back in. I have tried a lot of different seals and they all last about 2 years and then start leaking. This time it is leaking almost running out. I have about 50 pounds of oil pressure when I start it up and after it is hot the oil pressure runs about 20 pounds. We have tried a rope seal but couldn't get installed right so we put a different seal in. I use Shell Rotella 15-40 oil but don't think that should have anything to do with the leak. I order a new seal from Kaiser Willys and will try this seal. I have never used one of theirs.
   Does anyone have any other ideas???

Thanks
Pat

Edited by Pat T. - 02 July 2015 at 1:52am
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 12:46am
When you re-installed the crank, was the "end-play" issue addressed? Was a "before" and "after" measurement taken? Even with the replacement of thrust washers, correct "run-out" needs to be attained.

If the crankshaft has too much fore/aft movement, it will eat up a rear main seal in a short amount of time...

Splash welding, and regrinding end play journal on a crankshaft is a high priority for my machinist.....
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2015 at 1:44am
Lowenuf Can't really say if that was ever check before but it will before this seal is. Seams like when we had the the crank out to turn the surfaces that we looked at it but like I said don't know for sure.
Thanks for the advise.

Pat
dennisanvil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dennisanvil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 2:51am
[

Edited by dennisanvil - 05 July 2015 at 1:49am
dennisanvil                   1948 cj2a, maker of tailgate hooks & hand forge iron ware
there not any knowen cure for jeep fever.
serial # 164136<
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 11:44am
Can you post a photo of the seal you remove for future reference.
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2015 at 12:47pm
Yes I will and I am going to try and get some dye and put in the engine and run it and see if it will tell where to oil is coming from. I am waiting on the new seal to come.

Pat
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 2:10am

These dowels were pull out of the main caps this way. Part of them had pushed past the oil pan even. I have more pictures but am having trouble getting them to post. I will keep trying

Pat
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 2:19am

Here are a couple more pictures or the seal that I got to post. I have 2 more which are the best but having trouble getting them to post

Pat
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 2:31am

Well I have one more picture to post but this is going to have to be it. I haven't had this much trouble before.
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2015 at 2:37am
This is how the seal came out of the engine. I have been using Shell Rotella oil and I don't think this would have caused the problem. The seals turned about half way so that the joints were up and down instead of crosswise. The plugs where pushing out past the oil pan a little. I have never seen anything like this before. I can't find where the seals came from but will keep looking.

What do you guys think

Pat
Ridgerunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ridgerunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 4:43pm
Wow. I have never seen that before! That's crazy. Also, you wrote that you use a 15w 40w oil. That maybe part of the leaking problem. I bevieve that means it protects like a 40 w at the viscocty of a 15w. I think that makes it thinner oil making it easier to leak out in places. Personally I use a straight 40 w oil in older engines. My everyday runner jeep is a '42 GPW with a CJ2 block, an older rebuild, I run straight 30 w in him. That guy leaks too.
'41 MB,1-'42 GPW,1-'44 MB,1-'46 CJ2A column Shift, 1-'48 CJ2A,1-'54 M38A1, '51 M38
Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2015 at 6:06pm
I switched to napa 10-30 and see how that works. I can't figure out how the seal turned 90 degrees from the way it was installed
 Post Reply Post Reply