Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilding Grandpa's CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2APilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilding Grandpa's CJ2A
    Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 3:07am
Hey all! I figured I would start my rebuild thread now that my 46 CJ2A is about halfway torn down. First a little backstory on this old rig. I inherited it about 5 years ago from my Grandpa. He wanted more space in his barn (where it has been sitting since 1997) and asked if I wanted it. I jumped the opportunity to get my hands on it. This jeep was a bg part of my childhood. I learned to drive on it on my Grandpa's farm when I was a kid. He bought it from his nephew when my Dad was a teenager for him and my uncle to rebuild. This was in the early 70's. Unfortunately I had to wait quite a while to get it in my hands. The Air Force moved my family and I over seas to Germany for a few years and I couldn't take it with me. Fast forward to about 3 months ago I had it shipped from Oregon to my current home in Columbus, MS to end its long journey home. I've spent the past few months researching and tinkering with it while gathering as much backstory and history on it as I could from my Dad and my Grandpa. 

About a month ago my Dad passed away very suddenly. This little Willys was a favorite discussion topic between us. We talked often about taking it camping again like when i was a kid after it was rebuilt. I'll never have that opportunity now so this build is dedicated to my Dad, Skip. My Grandpa is still alive but he just turned 80 and my goal is to have it rebuilt while he is still with us. 

Now for some pics!
Picking up the ole girl at a Tractor supply store in Memphis.

Finally Home!

Emma the Guard Poodle has claimed her seat already!

Teardown time!

Getting ready to pull the body

And its off!!

So that's the story so far. Over the course of the winter I am going to finish the teardown and get the frame cleaned up and repaired. This is my first vehicle restore so I'm sure I'll have tons of questions. Thanks in advance!

Sean

berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 3:19am
Condolences on your dad.

Take lots of photos of everything, even things you may think are minor.  Not only will they make good before and after photos but just in case you can't remember where something went.

If you have not yet----> http://cj-2a.com/parts_list/CJ2A_data.php
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 3:40am
X2 on your dad... the jeeps are cool, but the peeps are priceless...

Looking forward to following this forward. Looks like your grandpa picked a solid start!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 5:08am
HELL EVEN THE TIRES ARE GOOD.
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 11:38am
Sorry about your Dad.  I'm glad you want to keep it in the family and care for it. I also see a young fellow with a smile. Your son? That would make it 4 generations. That is special. When I bought my first Jeep, a '48  CJ2A,  I was 13. It had two bumper stickers on it. " Don't Laugh, It's Paid For " and the other was: " I may Be Slow, But I'm Still Ahead Of You". Many good memories. I hope you make many for yourself. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov. 2016 at 2:35pm
It really does appear to be in good shape.

Like the others have said, sorry for your sudden loss.

The motivation to do it while you still have your Grandfather will help.

Good luck with it.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
CJ2APilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2APilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 2:17am
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I have made some progress over the past week

Finally ready to pull the motor off the frame

Lifting out the engine with my custom made lifting adapter (5k lb aircraft tie down strap and a 2k lb walmart special strap)

Engines Out!

I had a moving dolly just sitting around and it made perfect spot to keep the engine!

That's it so far. I'm doing some research right now on repairing the front frame. It was cut off at some point during the first restore it went thru and has some c-channel welded on as a replacement for the front frame rails. That's the first big step in this process. Anybody got any good links of someone who has done this type of repair?

CJ2APilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2APilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec. 2016 at 2:20am
So this is the current front frame rail. The frame was cut off just in front of the front cross member and the c-channel was welded over it. Id like to cut it all off and replace it. I think I can salvage the cross member but its gonna require a LOT of grinding. 

Passengers side

Driver side

Any advice on the best way to tackle this?
CJ2APilot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2APilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 4:58am
Made some progress on the old rig the past month or so. I finally have it down to the bare frame so I can make some much needed repairs to the front frame rails. 

Finally stripped down!

Cut out the passenger side frame rail.

Marking up and cutting the new rails

Mocking up the new frame rail.

Found some more rust damage on the crossmember than I had anticipated so that looks like it will stall me for a bit. I am also waiting on my new welder to arrive. Happy birthday to me! Anyways that's all for now. Hope to have some new updates soon. 

Sean
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2017 at 12:26pm
I think there is a diagram that gives you measurements diagonally in the shop manual.  Getting the height of the grill mounts and spring hangers just right is not easy. Then welding pulls things. You have to clamp a heavy brace to hold it.  Like a jig. Keep measuring and take your time. 

You floor is starting to look normal now. Jeep dirt, oil, and rust, and grease! LOL I feel better now. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply