Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Replace or refurb leaf springs (rear, 11s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replace or refurb leaf springs (rear, 11s)
    Posted: 23 July 2014 at 3:20pm
I stil have the original leaf springs mounted on the rear of our CJ. But they're weak, the back easily bottoms out and of course there is the "jeep lean."

They have 11 leafs, which I think was a "heavy-duty" option? Is it worth getting them refurbished -- or should I replace them with 10s?  I'm not pulling a field cannon behind the jeep, probably don't need the heavy-duty.

Thanks!  -Doug
Jeeps don't leak...they mark their territory.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 3:28pm
Is there anyone near you who does spring arching and tempering? Also, if the leaves are worn where the ends rub, they will be weakened.
BOULDER 48 2A
johnnybravo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnnybravo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2014 at 3:43pm
How are your shocks?
Ret. USAR-Vet, 6-GPW's,, 1-M38 w/M-100, 1-47 WO "Jeep" 4X2 Wagon, several ruff CJ2&3A's, 1-CJ3B,
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 12:38am
Shocks seem fine, no bounce. Are there any issues refurbish leaf springs this old? Does the steel get brittle for example? New leafs are not cheap, but I imagine repairing might cost more. Hate to do that if it won't likely work out...
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 1:38am
I went through this with my front springs not to long ago.  I took the original springs to a local spring/ truck shop, but came out disappointed.  After taking them apart and inspecting them, the mechanic told me he could re-arch them, but they would most likely sag again in a short time due to the metal being soft and worn out, plus face the possibility the spring breaking under stress.

I guess it depends on the metal condition of your springs.  Have a spring shop look at them if you can or I would say get a new set for safety sake.

Dave
Dave
44 Willys MB
JM-46CJ2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JM-46CJ2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2014 at 2:41am
I also found an interesting article re: cold-setting, or re-arching springs.

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/resto_series_number_6_restoring_leaf_springs

So the upshot is it probably makes more practical sense at this point to buy fresh new ones. Who is the best source? I've heard some springs have a pretty stiff ride...

1955cj5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1955cj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 1:52am
Two years ago I bought a set of 2 front and 2 rear spring packs for my CJ-5 from Walck's. They ride smooth and the ride height is normal.

Last year I bought a similar set of 4 spring packs for the 3a from Kaiser-Willys..Crown springs.... The ride is rough and the ride height is at least an inch too high...

I really wish I had bought the 3a springs from Walck's....

Now I'm thinking about taking the Crown spring packs apart and removing a leaf or two....
HCAT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 3:01am

I bought front springs for my 2a and my old 3B  (and just about any other part I need)  from Walcks.    No complaints.

Dave
Dave
44 Willys MB
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2014 at 2:34pm
I also used Walck's 4WD for a new set. At the time (5 yrs ago) Carl Walck offered two qualities. One from the Phills the other he had made. He recommended his because he knew the quality, good enough for me, Carl is not a BS-er.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
 Post Reply Post Reply