Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Your project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rescued in Alabama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rescued in Alabama
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 9:01pm

After a few years of missing 416's I was finally led to this little orphan...

There is a companion jeep with it, but the owner wants to keep that. Originally, it was only described as an army trailer for a jeep. After looking it over, I think it is a Bantam T3C.

The tounge assembly...

Right front...

Edited by Sabre07 - 21 Sep. 2013 at 11:10pm
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 9:11pm
Rusted out in the tub where the wall meets the floor...it has a tailgate, I don't know what tail light it has yet (it has them, not sure if they are original)...it comes home next week. I am open to suggestions.
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2013 at 9:54pm
My mule team...Oddball the Isuzu

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2013 at 12:24am
Sabre07...Cool find and to let you know, that is a Bantam T3-C for sure.  I know that much, lol :P  Did you noticed if it had a data plate on it?  Did the owner tell you what year is was or if it has been registered before?  Maybe the year is in there some where.

Are you going to restore this little beauty?  Nice looking vehicle you got there.  What is it, lol :P  Sorry, I don't know anything about it.

Thanks,

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

E-mail: canorisa@msn.com

1940's Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 1:29pm
It used to be a 1994 Isuzu Amigo until I did the recon vehicle conversion and now it is an M13a2 Oddball TUV. 

I will probably wait and see exactly what needs to be done to the trailer when I get the evac completed. I have some ideas but no skills.
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 2:00pm
Well, whatever it is, It's Cool Man, lol. :P  Don't worry about the skills, they will come to you.  I have the same problem, Lots of ideas but little skills, lol, but hey, that won't stop me any, lol :P

Joel
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield - Persian Gulf 1992

1940's Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2013 at 7:37pm
I saw your suggestion in another thread to sandblast first to ID the problems. Sounds like that is my first course of action.

canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 12:29am
Cool!!!!, please do post pictures of your progress and what you find out during the process.  That trailer would look good all restored behind your vehicle. :)  Thanks for letting me know.

Question.....are you going to paint the trailer to match your vehicle?  Dumb question, I know, but had to ask, lol :P

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 2:25am
I will probably go with a tan and black paint job. Frame, suspension black, tub/gate tan...similar color of my truck. Inside the tub will probably be black bed liner. 

My plan will be for a functional range trailer to haul targets and other range gear around. 
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 7:42am
Sabre07:

Good choice in paint.  Just a suggestion.  Don't paint the inside of the tub.  Just prime it if your intents are to have it lined.  The cost will be cheaper in the long run.  I'm talking from experience here my friend.  I also had a BT3-C that I restored some 4 years back and I didn't paint the inside of the tub because I was going to get it Rhino lined.  

The guy at the shop later told me that I did excellent in not painting the tub.  They would have had to charge me extra to scratch all that nice paint to make the Rhino line stick to the body.  Lucky me, lol :)

Are you going to do all the work yourself and source it out?  I think it will be a heck of a lot cheaper you doing it yourself.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 12:18pm
I am cheap and have no skills. My buddy owns a Linex shop, so that is a no brainer. I have a drag race car builder buddy that does welding for me. I have access to a welder at my dad's, but I don't like electricity unless it is in a gun light. I may borrow or rent a sandblaster, that I can do, I think. The painting, another friend has offered, he has some paint used on M1 Abrams and I started my military career in tanks, so I think it appropriate (M60's not M1's).

Makes sense on not painting the tub. 

Job first is collecting it from where it sits. I need tire to begin with. I hope to get some place holders and then get something more authentic later.
canorisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canorisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 2:15pm
Well, sounds like you have most of the work outsourced, I think, lol.  But let me tell you and give you a heads up on the sandblasting job.  It is dirty, it is nasty, and it is very tiring if you dont' know what you are doing.  I did that myself on my very first trailer and I swore I would never do it again and I never have.  I rather pay than to do that nasty job again :)

Trust me, you don't want to do it yourself if you have never done it!  Shop around for a good sandblasting company that would professionally do it for you.  Most companies would charge any where $300 and $400 to sandblast/beet-blast a trailer that size.  But, another thing, they would require it to be disassembled first.  I have done now 6 trailers professionally sandblasted and it has been worth every penny.  Just to give you a heads up, that's all.  If you still want to do it - up to you, my friend but you will remember my words, lol :P.

Here is an idea for you.  Rent a trailer that would be big enough to fit the Bantam and that way you don't have to spend your money on new tires that you will change anyways later.  Haul it to your home or location where you'll be working on and all you are going to be out is the rental on the trailer.  That's just an option, that's all.

Joel

1940's Bantam T3-C
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 3:30pm
I agree with Joel's suggestion.  No equipment to buy/rent and no mess afterwards.  Drop off nasty and pick up clean.

Just do some research on which blaster to use.  I avoided using businesses that used equipment designed for heavy sand blasting.  When asked about being delicate on sheet metal body panels, they stated they adjust the pressure and that it was "a feel" type process. 

I found a local blaster that had vehicle experience and used a softer media with excellent results.

Just be ready to prime as the bare metal will want to rust.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep. 2013 at 6:24pm
Thanks guys. Rus we inhabit the same state. I am in the Bham metro area. Any chance your local blaster is local to me?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep. 2013 at 4:16pm
Yes they are!

I "interviewed" 7 businesses in the B'ham area and went with Thompson Fabricated Steel Products (Tfabs) on Mary Taylor Rd.  I talked with Jerome.

They were very good!  They did both my 3B body and the entire T3-C.  I did disassemble the trailer to individual components so they could remove all the old paint/rust. I left the hubs assembled to keep most of the media out.  They did not blast the springs as those went to B'ham Spring Service.

By coordinating with them, I was able to p/u and transport directly to the body shop (on a sunny day) to get primed.  Very happy with their work!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep. 2013 at 12:45am
Cool. I am on the south end of town (Shelby County) but know T'ville. I had some steel targets made over there close by Tfabs. I will try there first. 
Sabre07 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabre07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2013 at 11:09pm

Here is a close up of the hitch with a 1 7/8 inch ball in it. I am not sure if this is the proper size ball or if there is a smaller ball hitch size. 

I pulled the wheels off today as they are toast. I am going to try and score some used tires cheap as place holders to make this thing easier to move around. Don't have the funds just yet to drop onto a new set of OE tires but I need to get it mobile.

Edited by Sabre07 - 21 Sep. 2013 at 11:12pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2013 at 3:47pm
Sabre,
There's lots of info in this Forum section as well as Art's Bantam Trailer website - both will help with identifying individual components.

Concentrate on the hub bearings.  They should be just like the front wheel bearings on a jeep.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>