Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ring and pinion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ring and pinion
    Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:14am
I am assembling my dana 25 and re using the stock gear set.
my pinion has a few teeth that have light pitting and same goes for my ring gear. 

should I have any concern?

- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:32am
Not really, since it is on the front, which is only used for off road at slower speeds. It is caused by not locking the hubs and driving it every month to oil the parts. If it was the rear it would cause noise and wear until it went away. If the Jeep is non running at least turn the front driveline/flange thru a few revolutions to oil the parts. Discs brakes are a prime example, if you do not use them they will rust.
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:41am
but I am not locking hub equipped right now so these gears will be turning at road speeds..  tho the forces are on the coast side there still in the same condition.
- Mike
47 CJ2A - Warn OD, Ramsey PT1-J/Koenig 100,Arctic top,Dana 44 30 spline full float with disc's,Dana 30 with discs, 2.5 lift, Saginaw power steering, dual master cylinder
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 4:59am
I'd run it.  I'd rather run on a less than perfect original gearset rather than a new Chinese one.  Not sure if the 25 R/P are available NOS?
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 5:02am
my thoughts exactly,   I was going to ask if anyone knows where to get a matched ring and pinion NOS if such a thing exists.    I suppose my concern is because I invested a large portion in all new timken bearings and new seals id hate to see them fail prematurely.

I do have another ring assembly but no matching pinion, I believe its for the 25 would need to confirm its condition. (tho I think its still a step back from the original set as they are matched)

Edited by Speedy - 31 Jan. 2015 at 5:04am
- Mike
GARGOYLEJEEPER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARGOYLEJEEPER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan. 2015 at 6:08am
Ring & Pinion is a set, if you can not find the pinion get rid of the ring, it will run with all sorts of problems mismatched. Up till 2 years ago before Mac passed away we had NOS DANA sets on the shelves in several ratios. Most of that stuff went to PA.
1948 CJ-2A 232505

Just trying to fix the world one Jeep at a time.
Speedy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2015 at 1:14am
I just messaged my local mail order and he has nos ring and pinions in 5:38 I think something like 210 plus tax.

another dilemma my friend has offered up a narrow track dana 30 with 5:38 carrier.
- Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply