Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Route 66 Road Trip! Follow Along!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Route 66 Road Trip! Follow Along!
    Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:01pm
I was posting this on another forum I'm when I realized that you guys might enjoy this thread too.

After years of talking about it, I finally decided to do it. The wife, son, and myself are going to road trip down Route 66. We'll be starting in Chicago, and heading toward the Sana Monica Pier. We'll be taking my 2013 Core Challenger. I have the next four weeks off, and have no real itinerary for the trip. We plan on driving until we come across something we want to see and stopping when we are tired. I thought it would be cool to post pics of the trip. I'll be posting this across a couple auto forums I'm on, so if you don't quite get what I'm talking about in a post, or referencing a picture, that's why.

Here's the Challenger, ready to go. Don't worry, the bra is only on it for the trip.

The trunk easily fit three large suitcases, a couple bags, and some loose sweatshirts. I think the wife over packed but she claims we need all this stuff.

We pulled out of Toledo and headed to Chicago. I'm not use to the traffic jams we encountered in downtown Chicago. I really don't know how you people that live in big cities put up with it. We decided to skip the sights in Chicago. While there is plenty to see there, it's an easy weekend trip from Toledo. We thought it would be best to come back another time and spend the weekend. We pushed on, just north of Chicago to Field's Chrysler to visit Pat.

In case you don't know who Pat@fieldsauto is, he's a vendor on a couple to the Jeep forums and the guy with all the inside info on new Wranglers. The Challenger was in need of an oil change for the trip, so I though since I was going to be in Chicago I'd stop by and have them do it. It was nice to finally put a face to name. I completely forgot to take a picture with him. I guess if you want to know what Pat looks like, you'll have to stop in and see him yourself.

Our next stop was Wilmington, Illinois and the Launch Pad Diner. I'm sure you've all seen pictures of the Gemini Giant. It's been associated with Route 66 for years. Unfortunately, the diner has been closed. Here, the son and I are posing for a picture. For scale, I'm 6'2".

Our next stop was Pontiac Illinois, home of the Route 66 museum. Sadly, we arrived there after the museum had closed for the day. We decided to spend the night in Pontiac so we could see the museum tomorrow. It was still light out, so we walked the streets of Pontiac taking pictures of the murals that it's downtown is also known for.

My favorite picture so far...

After the museum we'll be heading to St. Louis to visit some of the wife's relatives. I'll post more tomorrow night.

archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:04pm
Day 2 started out with a trip back to downtown Pontiac Illinois.  We hit up the Route 66 museum first.  

The Route 66 museum is is three floors high.  The building houses the Route 66 museum, the War Veterans museum, and an area that houses memorabilia from the 40's.
The Route 66 section has case after case of memorabilia.

archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:04pm
Next, we went upstairs to the War Veterans museum.  The museum is dedicated to all the soldiers that have served in the area.  10 years ago the soldiers began to donate their uniforms and memorabilia.  It's turned into an impressive, and somewhat eery, collection.  
archerace View Drop Down

The last section contained a few rooms made up as if they were from the 1940's.  

"Get in there and make me a sandwich, women!"

"And wash my clothes!"

Neither comment went over well. :(

archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:05pm
We finished up our day in Pontiac at the Pontiac car museum.  This guy has an incredible collection of cars and Pontiac memorabilia.  I was told the collection of cars rotates so if you stop by he might have some new cars in.
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:10pm
After Pontiac, we drove on to Springfield Illinois to visit the Lincoln museum.  Unfortunately, cameras are not allowed inside the exhibits.  You're only allowed to take pictures outside of them.  I will say that the museum and it's exhibits were far more interesting than I would have thought.  Even my 13 year old son found them "cool".

Here's a panoramic picture I shot of the outside of the exhibits.  You enter each exhibit and walk through it, following the different stages in President Lincoln's life beginning with the log cabin on the left.

On your way out of Springfield, be sure to stop by Cozy Dog.  They claim to be the originators of the coney dog.  Since I can't stand coney dogs, I opted for a chilli dog.

Working on my first heart attack.

Our last two stops before we made St. Louis were Funks Grove and a restored Shell gas station in Mt. Olive.

Funks Grove has been making maple surip since 1891.  The women who waited on us said her and her husband were the 5th generation to make maple surip there.  If you're traveling down 66 it's worth stopping and picking up a bottle.  They have maple surip making down pat. Nothing to see at Funks this time of year, so I didn't take any pics.

The gas station was just a quick photo op for my Challenger. :)
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 5:13pm
Being in St. Louis, we had to visit the arch.  My son and I stood at the bottom singing the theme to Halo.  Pretty dorky, yes, but we we laughed.

We rode the trams to the top and spent some time looking out the windows at the top.

We also went to the St. Louis zoo.  I didn't take any pictures worth sharing.

Tomorrow were heading to Meramec Caverns.  I should have some interesting pictures to share from there.
Jerry45 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2014 at 8:08pm
Thanks! That is one awesome trip you are on! Keep posting!
It's something I've always wanted to do...but in my CJ-2A!!!!
1945 CJ-2A #11802
1950? Szekley Navy APU Jeep
Bantum BTC-3 Trailer

"They can have my Jeep when they pry it from my cold, dead hands."
Bob W View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 1:24am
I've been on sections of Rt 66. There is a lot to see if you take the time to slow down and look! Cool trip.
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 5:50am
Thanks, guys.

The trip would take months to do in the 2A.  Maybe one day I'll have the time. :)  There is definitely a lot to see.  We are skipping some things since I'm worried we won't have enough time.  I'd like to drive up the pacific coast highway and have a leisurely cruise back home.  If we stop at every attraction, I'm afraid I'll have to race home.

Today was our last day in St. Louis.  We slept in and got a late start going to Meramec Caverns. 

The cave was originally a saltpeter mine. Later, it was used as a makeshift dance hall.  There was enough room in the cave not only for a band and dance floor, but space for people to park their horse and buggies.  Twice a year, they still hold concerts in the main cave.  They said that the cave will hold 1000 people.

In the 40's, a drought in the area lowered the water table enough that they noticed a cool breeze coming through an area that had been underwater.  After swimming through the pool, they found an opening that lead to another area.  In this new, hidden area, they found a number of items, the most interesting being a chest.  The initials on the chest were traced to a robbery committed by the James Gang.  It is believed that Jesse James use the Meramec Caverns as a hide out by stashing the money in this secret room and using the caverns underwater river to sneak out.  It may or may not be true, but it makes the tour more interesting.

Jesse and Frank James in the secret loot room.

Cool stalactite and stalagmite formations.

My son and I also rode the zip lines at Meramec Caverns.  He loved it, but I wasn't that impressed with the experience.

Tomorrow we'll say our goodbyes and be back on the road
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 12:56pm
There is also a route 66 museum in Elk City, Oklahoma,(they do charge admission and close pretty early..) and one other in Texas but I can't remember the city. Might be Amarillo.  Don"t neglect  the inspiration for some of the Cars movie in Shamrock, TX, and the ultimate route 66 ghost town, Tucumcari, NM which has all sorts of photo ops and lots of murals even on the side streets.. Cheap hotel rooms in Tucumcari by the way.

Looks like fun and you are definitely creating some lifelong memories for your son..

If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 2:49pm
Stay at the El Rancho in Gallop, NM .....all the rest of the cowboys did in the old westerns. It was THE place for all the actors and directors. Neat history and you can probably still get the Presidential Suite for less than $100 a night.

And like Bill said make sure you stop in Shamrock....great photo op.

To add to what he said about Tucumcari.....there's a car museum there too if its still open. Not huge but a good place to stretch your legs.

Backing up to Amarillo.... the Big Texan....didn't try the steak but had a killer breakfast there.

The Cadillac Ranch of course, if you can find it.

Have fun.......I'm getting the fever again.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 3:26pm
I don't remember the car museum, Roc...where was it? I almost always stop in Tucumcari when I am off a load in the area.

I do remember cheap "Mexican" blankets at the well advertised gas stop east of Cline's corners a few miles....they might work for inexpensive upholstery jobs or seat covers..

Looking forward to more pics!
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 4:09pm
Clines Corners is a must stop too......regret not buying a Jackalope there back when they were affordable.......too expensive now. LOL

My bad Bill......museum is in Santa Rosa.....was the same day though. (I think) LOL

Of course you need need to stop in Winslow, AZ too.....you say you're off a month? Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Pat T. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat T. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 7:37pm
Archerace
I live in Pontiac and if had meet up with you could have shown some other interesting things. As you came in from the north their is the OLD Log cabin restaurant that has a lot of old rt 66 things in it. The food is okay also. I only leave a few blocks from the restaurant and have coffee their every morning when not on vacation. Have a good rest of your trip

Pat T
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 9:50pm
I would avoid the city of San Bernardino CA especially after sundown.
Although historic to Rt66, too many gang problems and murders.
Search out Goffs Schoolhouse when you get to Needles CA.
archerace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote archerace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 5:17am
I'm pretty sure the museum in Elk City is on the list.  We are defiantly stopping at the Cadillac Ranch.  We should be passing through Winslow.  I want a pic with the girl in the flatbed Ford. Wink

my wife is in love with Pontiac.  She really likes downtown and wants to move there. :)

Skipping San Bernadino is duly noted. I'm a bit concerned with all of California.  I don't really care for big cities and especially their traffic.  The wife just told me that Goffs Schoolhouse is on our list.

We started out the day heading out of Ditmer Missouri, driving to the Missouri University of Science and Technology.  They have a replica of Stonehenge there.  Yea, it is as exciting as you think.  I took a picture from across the street and left.

Heading on down 44 we stopped at a diner/bar called Joe & Linda's Tater Patch.  There claim to fame is serving a potato, or tater, as a meal.  I decided to give the cheeseburger tater a try.  I have no idea who the diabolical genius is that thought of this, but it was amazing.  A huge tater, covered with a 1/4lb of ground beef, smothered in cheese sauce.  They then ring the plate with all the fixins that make up a cheeseburger.  To eat it, you cut it up into small pieces an mix it all together.   Don't forget to mix in the sour cream and butter.

We stopped by a couple little stores today.  Whenever we stop, I always seem to find something there that I haven't seen since I was little.  It's kind of cool how coming across somthing you haven't seen in years brings back forgotten memories.  At one store it was an old pack of pipe filters. My father use to smoke a pipe and I remember seeing that same box as a kid in the 70's.  At the other it was an old military flashlight. I remember all the kids had them hanging on their bikes back in the day.  I had forgotten all about that yellow banna seat bike.

The first was the Totem Pole Trading Post.  They've been in business on Route 66 since 1933.

The second was the Old Riverton Store

Next I wanted to check out Vintage Iron in Miami Oklahoma.  Unfortunately they are closed on Sunday.  It's probably for the best.  They have a really nice FL shovel head sitting in the showroom. Had I sat on it, I'd have wanted to take it home.  But, the trip wasn't a complete bust.  Further down main street sits the inspiration for the character Tow Mater from the movie cars.

It's funny we should find Mater.  I didn't mention it then, but if you scroll back to the pictures of the route 66 museum in Pontiac you'll notice a VW van.  That van was owned by Bob Waldmeir.  Bob spent his life cruising up and down route 66, living the hippie lifestyle in that van. (he also had a mustang and a bus)  The VW was the inspiration for the character Fillmore, the hippie VW van also in the movie Cars.

Our last stop was Totem Pole Park in Chelsea Oklahoma.  It's a park. With totem poles. yup. Totem Pole park. If you're driving by, stop and take a look at the totem poles. They've been there since 1948.

We made it to Claremore Oklahoma.

Edited by archerace - 21 July 2014 at 5:26am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 2:50pm
The trouble with the museums is you're gonna eat up ALOT of time with them....seems everybody has one.

If you are stopping in Elk City you may not want to stop in Clinton but I remember that museum being very enjoyable.......of course I didn't see the one in Elk City.

Do you have your motel reservations for Holbrook, AZ yet? Wink

Edited by rocnroll - 21 July 2014 at 3:00pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>