Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salad Beachwood top fit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salad Beachwood top fit?
    Posted: 19 May 2015 at 12:52am
The other day I went to a WWII Reenactment and a gentleman there had a slat grille MB with a Beachwood summer top. He's going to buy a whole new set so his seats match, and offered the current one to me. I have a 3A, and there are some top bows on Craigslist right now for a 2A. I know the CJ windshields are 2" taller. Will all of these salad ingredients work together?

MB Beachwood top
CJ2A bows
CJ3A Jeep
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:07am
stock 2A and 3A bows are not that different and you would gain nothing with 2A bows. You need MB-GPW bows and required mounting brackets, you would also need the buttons for a MB windshield frame to mount the top as your 3A has a channel to mount the front of the top. May be easier to have the top altered to fit the channel. Go for it!

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:16am
Lee,

What would be the difference between 2A and military top bows? The seller doesn't have any small hardware so I would have to buy or build some.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 1:50am
The difference between civvy and military is like day and night.

Here's military (ignore the rollbar):

Here's the civvy:

Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 2:50am
Oh wow, that is a huge difference. Would it be worth trying to "field mod" the CJ bows into a miltary style? The right bows will cost me more than the top and I don't think I can justify that expense right now.
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:08pm
  You could make the modern top bows for the early jeeps work since they mount to a single bracket on top of the jeep body rails similar to the military.

Jim
47 CJ2A (Ranch Hand) 48 CJ2A, 48 Willys truck, T3C 3782, M274 (Military Mule)
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:25pm
Just curious, what "modern top bows" do you have in mind?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 4:30pm
I bought a top  I believe it was a Best Top a few years ago that had them. It was made so you could fold the top down for a convertible and not have to take it off. 

Jim
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:06pm
The problem as I see it is that tops are made to fit specific bows. Now you may be able to jury rig something that the top will hang on but it's never going to fit right unless you use the bows it was designed to fit. I have a WWII summer top on my CJ3A. I installed the military bows to fit it up. As was mentioned above, if you have a CJ3A type windshield it uses an entirely different method to attach a top to the windshield. It would be necessary to either modify the top or modify the windshield to get it to attach. The back end of a military top cinches down through metal loops on the rear panel. A CJ has a tailgate, not a rear panel, and it's not likely, although possible, the loops will line up. The top panel has attachment points designed for military bows and don't look to me like they will line up with civvy bows. Also note civvy bows are slightly curved while military bows are flat. Just a few issues I see with trying to fit up a military top using civvy bows.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by WeeWilly WeeWilly wrote:

I bought a top  I believe it was a Best Top a few years ago that had them. It was made so you could fold the top down for a convertible and not have to take it off. 

Jim

On a CJ2A?
WeeWilly View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WeeWilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2015 at 5:27pm
I was just suggesting that a set of bows could be made to work and wasn't saying they would be authentic since Nick was thinking of putting a military top on a CJ any way. With it being a summer top it wouldn't take to many mods and adjustments to make it fit and look good.

Jim
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:39pm
I see what you guys are saying. I found an M38 on craigslist that's been hacked up, but it has top bows. Should I try to buy those bows?
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:08pm
You should be able to make those work if you can get them.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:10pm
A set of Best top bows may work since they are flat across the top.  they may need to be lengthened or shortened.  As Rocketeer said, the footman loops in the rear are different.  A CJ has 6 and a g503 has 5.

The biggest hurdle to overcome, IMO, is the windshield.  As was expressed earlier, the MB has 10 round grommets to attach to a straight top windshield and the 3A has a coping slot and the top of the windshield has an arch.  It is not flat across the top like a g503.  Even if you installed 10 capstans across the top of your 3A windshield, the fabric will not match the profile of the arched top.

If you proceed, post pics plz.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 4:24pm
jpet, I have a non-script 2A repro windshield to use with this top. I don't think I made that clear in my post, but my Jeep is going to be militarized. I believe with these bows I should be set.
Nick_ View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 6:10am
Today I went and stopped to see the Jeep with bows since it was only 20 minutes away from my house. They wouldn't sell me just the bows...so I took the whole thing OuchLOL The bows are CJ2a-style, right? It confused me because of the way they're setup on the Jeep with the folding style mount.

See how the bows are mounted? 
It's actually a decent M38. Overdrive, lockout hubs, Chevy 350. Not gonna keep it though.

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 8:25am
Those look like aftermarket bows to me....Bestop, etc.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 12:31pm
Agree, they aren't M-38 bows. Here's what M-38 bows look like and how they attach.

Edited by rocketeer - 22 May 2015 at 12:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply