Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

shes home..my first flatty #57074..more pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: shes home..my first flatty #57074..more pics
    Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 7:24pm
well everyone..shes here. shes rusty,crusty, runs decent...i wanted to get a long-term jeep project (have a yj as my toy/learning textbook) and couldnt decide on a 2a,willys wagon, or an intermediate cj6..well this one popped up and looked decent. Shes a good start and shes in my name :) Well i wont be doing much as my little jeeper doesnt start all day school until 9/2011, but with the way jeep prices have been climbing over the last few years, i had to get in the game while i could....first the numbers...

all 3 data plates are there # 57074
water pump boss # 3J162235
Tub 45558
tailgat 45558
original color appears to be michigan yellow

check out those niiice front frame horns/bumper gussets
ok,,what oil filter housing do i have/what napa # do i need..confused as there are 2 types right?
if this is the original motor,,what about the funky lift loops on the head?
link for taking the sears hubs apart anyone? age of them?
whats above the ignition keys..previous owner put a push button on the column..and a doorbell for the non working horn?
bubba apparently didnt know how to weld so thankfully he left it alone..but he did try bodywork unsuccessfully
found a neat magnet
the little jeeper likes it..he said he wanted to eat lunch while sitting in the jeep

so..im going for a nice driver eventually...what looks original,,not original..other than the tailights...it has a heater..non windshield obviously..guy i bought it from had an m38 arctic top on it he sold to someone else.....so...hows it look?

Edited by all4jpn - 26 Feb. 2010 at 11:29pm
46 cj/06 lj/ and mb/2a/38 hybrid project
jan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 8:07pm
Very very nice cj2a.
beautiful restauration project...

Jan
Willys cj2a (1947)
Willys cj2a (1948)
Willys mb   (1943)
p3ferris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p3ferris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 8:32pm
Looks pretty good.  Those curly brackets on the motor are for pulling the engine.  Not too many of them.  The spare tire bracket does not go on the back it is for the side.  one top bow bracket is missing.
Ed
cj2a lefty
BorderBrewer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BorderBrewer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 8:40pm
Looks like a great start for a restoration project. Congratulations!
Regards,
BorderBrewer
1947 CJ2A
1960 6-226 Wagon

Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:03pm
Looks a really good starting point, a very nice jeep. My little boy is just as enthusiastic - he likes to stand in ours, M1 helmet on his head and `shoot' at passing traffic. Despite having had my face pressed closely (too closely) against just about every square inch of mine as I've sweated and swore over it, I'm no expert, but from I can see of yours:

The fenders both appear to be military ones (they have the brackets for military headlights)

Ditto (possibly?) the oil bath air filter with its embossed instructions.

The oil filler cap is a `bubba'.

The engine - with a number like that, it's a later replacement (mine is too).

The steering damper on the front isn't original - but again, not unusual with the way these `wander' when they're worn.

The tub - can't see the drain holes on the driver/passenger sides. Does it have tool indents on the driver's side? Can't make it out on the images.

I'm sure others will correct me/chip in with other observations.

I'm sure others can
adams77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adams77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:13pm
Those sears hubs are actually Selectro brand, they were stamped with what ever mfr used them at the time.  Good hub regardless.
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:25pm
the tool indents are not there..the drain holes have been filled with bondo...theres a patch(6x10) in the toolbox floor and on the front of the toolbox)jeep stamp gone..i knew about the carrier,,the tailgate has been bolted closed..theres more rot in the tub than the pics shows..but not as bad as some i've seen on here..he threw in another rearend and 2 rims..one is shot, the other appears usable..i'll get pics of the heater as i know you guys love pics..the engine pops a little out the exhaust at idle.not constantly..and you have to play with the gas pedal/choke to get her going,,but she does run strong..very interesting about the military fenders and replacement motor...
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:26pm
oh..that oil filter part # please....want to do an oil change tomorrow..
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:40pm
Congrats on the '46!
She looks pretty good and most of the original parts are still on her.
Nice start for a resto project!

Clap

Where's the windshield?

Edited by Longhunter - 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:43pm
Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
Vince View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 9:41pm
Yes, I agree about the tub, it looks remarkably good - I'd have swapped with you Tongue
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 10:24pm
he didnt have the original windshield..had an m38 arctic top with the perpendicular windshield..that went with the top...i had the usual buyers remorse..but you guys make me feel better...warm fuzzies all around...since im new to posting here..heres the wifes daily driver and my 92yj with a 69 jeepster commando front clip grafted on...the 46 is definetly with a good jeep family

Edited by all4jpn - 24 Feb. 2010 at 10:25pm
Longhunter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2010 at 10:50pm
Jeeps all around!
Looks like my driveway! LOL
Hey, don't worry that you don't have a windshield. Those aren't too hard to come by.

Mike in Mississippi
2006 Jeep Rubicon
1946 CJ2a #49667
1946 Bantam T3-C #7909
1 UNDERSTANDING Wife

"2 wrongs don't make a right but 3 rights will make a left".... Gallagher
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:00am
A commando YJ... that sure is different!   Nice jeep...I have a feeling someone is gonna adapt it when he gets older!

My standard advice applies.... fix all your mechanical stuff that you can while actually using the jeep, you will get a lot more fun out of the jeep that way than doing a full nut and bolt resto right off. That way you will have a nice dependable jeep and when it is time to do the cosmetics and any major work, you will have a much better assessment of what still may be needed while it is apart.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:19am

Nice, fenders look military to me................. ??????

Too many jeeps.....GOT JEEP ?
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:32am
ya know..with all this talk of military fenders,military air filer can, later oil filter can,m38 carb and engine lift bracket..i wonder if the engine and fenders was picked out of an m38?..
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:34am
No, fenders are from MB / gpw ??? engine lift bracket is from a M38.... and is a rare part to find Wink like the one you have Big smile

Edited by tony - 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:40am
all4jpn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote all4jpn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:52am

im sure i'll get rid of the bracket eventually..ya cant see the jeep/willys script at all on the head..im sure someone with an m38 is having a coronary looking for one on ebay......can someone enlighten me on the difference between the mb/gpw fenders and the cj ones..other than the holes on the tops of the fenders...

i also want to say thanks for the help so far...i spent 100 bucks on all the manuals(chiltons,restoration,mechanics,parts, etc) but i know i'll be pestering ya...

Edited by all4jpn - 25 Feb. 2010 at 2:56am
tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2010 at 3:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>